posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sailor's Prayers

Pss.107

[23] They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great
waters;
[24] These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.
[25] For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up
the waves thereof.
[26] They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths:
their soul is melted because of trouble.
[27] They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at
their wits' end.
[28] Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth
them out of their distresses.
[29] He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
[30] Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them
unto their desired haven.

These sailor's prayers that follow are taken from the
Book of Common Prayer

Prayers to be used in Storms at Sea.

MOST powerful and glorious Lord God, at whose command the winds blow,
and lift up the waves of the sea, and who stillest the rage thereof.
We thy creatures, but miserable sinners, do in this our great distress
cry unto thee for help: Save, Lord, or else we perish. We confess,
when we have been safe, and seen all things quiet about us, we have
forgot thee our God, and refused to hearken to the still voice of thy
word, and to obey thy commandments: But now we see, how terrible thou
art in all thy works of wonder; the great God to be feared above all:
And therefore we adore thy Divine Majesty, acknowledging thy power,
and imploring thy goodness. Help, Lord, and save us for thy mercy's
sake in Jesus Christ thy Son, our Lord. Amen.

0r this prayer,
MOST glorious and gracious Lord God, who dwellest in heaven, but
beholdest all things below: Look down, we beseech thee, and hear us,
calling out of the depth of misery, and out of the jaws of this death,
which is ready now to swallow us up: Save, Lord, or else we perish.
The living, the living, shalt praise thee. 0 send thy word of command
to rebuke the raging winds, and the roaring sea; that we, being
delivered from this distress, may live to serve thee, and to glorify
thy Name all the days of our life. Hear, Lord, and save us, for the
infinite merits of our blessed Saviour, thy Son, our Lord Jesus
Christ. Amen.

Short Prayer in respect of a Storm.

THOU, 0 Lord, that stillest the raging of the sea, hear, hear us, and
save us, that we perish not.
0 blessed Saviour, that didst save thy disciples ready to perish in a
storm, hear us, and save us, we beseech thee.
Lord, have mercy upon us.
Christ, have mercy upon us.
Lord, have mercy upon us.
0 Lord, hear us.
0 Christ, hear us.
God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Ghost, have mercy upon us,
save us now and evermore. Amen.

A Hymn of Praise and Thanksgiving after a dangerous Tempest.

COME, let us give thanks unto the Lord, for he is gracious: and his
mercy endureth for ever.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; let the redeemed of
the Lord say so: whom he hath delivered from the merciless rage of the
sea.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion: slow to anger, and of
great mercy.
He hath not dealt with us according to our sins: neither rewarded
us according to our iniquities. But as the heaven is high above
the earth: so great hath been his mercy towards us.
We found trouble and heaviness: we were even at death's door.
The waters of the sea had well-nigh covered us: the proud waters
had well-nigh gone over our soul.
The sea roared: and the stormy wind lifted up the waves thereof.
We were carried up as it were to heaven, and then down again into
the deep: our soul melted within us, because of trouble;
Then cried we unto thee, 0 Lord: and thou didst deliver us out of
our distress.
Blessed be thy Name, who didst not despise the prayer of thy
servants: but didst hear our cry, and hast saved us.
Thou didst send forth thy commandment: and the windy storm ceased,
and was turned into a calm.
0 let us therefore praise the Lord for his goodness: and declare
the wonders that he hath done, and still doeth for the children of
men.
Praised be the Lord daily: even the Lord that helpeth us, and
poureth his benefits upon us.
He is our God, even the God of whom cometh salvation: God is the
Lord by whom we have escaped death.
Thou, Lord, hast made us glad through the operation of thy hands:
and we will triumph in thy praise.
Blessed be the Lord God: even the Lord God, who only doeth
wondrous things;
And blessed be the Name of his Majesty for ever: and let every one of
us say, Amen, Amen.
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son: and to the Holy Ghost;
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be: world
without end. Amen.

At the Burial of their Dead at Sea.

The Office in the Common Prayer-book may be used; only instead of
these words [We therefore commit his body to the ground, earth to
earth, &c.] say:

WE therefore commit his body to the deep, to be turned into
corruption, looking for the resurrection of the body, (when the Sea
shall give up her dead,) and the life of the world to come, through
our Lord Jesus Christ; who at his coming shall change our vile body,
that it may be like his glorious body, according to the mighty
working, whereby he is able to subdue all things to himself.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Noah's Dove wrote:
[...]

Obviosuly you nor the author's of any of those have ever been to sea in
a real situation or else you'd know that you wouldn't have time to say
any of those...about all you ahve time for is "Good Lord, save me..."..I
have also heard an alternative prayer in these situations: "Chrst on a
mountain..." but that is usually expounded by the unfaithful....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Obviosuly you nor the author's of any of those have ever been to sea in a
real situation or else you'd know that you wouldn't have time to say any
of those...about all you ahve time for is "Good Lord, save me..."..I have
also heard an alternative prayer in these situations: "Chrst on a
mountain..." but that is usually expounded by the unfaithful....

Or, "Please God, don't let me f*ck up." :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:53:01 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote this crap:

"katy" wrote in message
Obviosuly you nor the author's of any of those have ever been to sea in a
real situation or else you'd know that you wouldn't have time to say any
of those...about all you ahve time for is "Good Lord, save me..."..I have
also heard an alternative prayer in these situations: "Chrst on a
mountain..." but that is usually expounded by the unfaithful....

Or, "Please God, don't let me f*ck up." :-)

Too late, Jon-boy.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message

Obviosuly you nor the author's of any of those have ever been to sea in a
real situation or else you'd know that you wouldn't have time to say any
of those...about all you ahve time for is "Good Lord, save me..."..I have
also heard an alternative prayer in these situations: "Chrst on a
mountain..." but that is usually expounded by the unfaithful....

Obviously, your snipper is busted. You quoted 118 lines of text to add your
6 (5 text and 1 blank) useless post.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"katy" wrote in message
Obviosuly you nor the author's of any of those have ever been to sea in a
real situation or else you'd know that you wouldn't have time to say any
of those...about all you ahve time for is "Good Lord, save me..."..I have
also heard an alternative prayer in these situations: "Chrst on a
mountain..." but that is usually expounded by the unfaithful....

Or, "Please God, don't let me f*ck up." :-)

You're too late. Just remember, it's easier to beg forgiveness than it is
to ask permission

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Captain Crunch" wrote in message
"katy" wrote in message

Obviosuly you nor the author's of any of those have ever been to sea
in a real situation or else you'd know that you wouldn't have time to
say any of those...about all you ahve time for is "Good Lord, save
me..."..I have also heard an alternative prayer in these situations:
"Chrst on a mountain..." but that is usually expounded by the
unfaithful....

Obviously, your snipper is busted. You quoted 118 lines of text to
add your 6 (5 text and 1 blank) useless post.

I rarely click on a Katy post. She's a cutesy-one-liner with little or
no real knowledge of Usenet etiquette. She can't type. She can't spell.
She doesn't contribute much in the way of sailing content. She uses
Usenet not for discussion but for chat and gossip. She does a lot of
e-mailing behind the scenes in order to maintain a clique of her peers
who, in turn, attempt to control this group as if it were their
exclusive property. She's even resorted to out and out netcopping on a
couple of different occasions.

In other words, don't bother with her posts. You'll get nothing of
benefit from most of them. Just a lot of static and reposting with
snipping until you have to scroll and scroll in order to see her three
or four word, inane or asinine response, that really only says, "Hey
look at me!" She needs to grow up.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 12, 12:32 pm, katy wrote:
Noah's Dove wrote:
[...]

I dis-agree katy. I think most who live on the sea ......"see the
works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep."

And in a real storm I've not heard a better discription of walking
the decks as " "They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man,
and are at
their wits' end"

And the phrase "They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to
the depths:" sounds pretty salty to me.

Joe

about all you ahve time for is "Good Lord, save me..."..I
have also heard an alternative prayer in these situations: "Chrst on a
mountain..." but that is usually expounded by the unfaithful....- Hide quoted text -

Sailor's Prayers Noah's Dove Cruising 15 August 22nd 07 03:08 AM
Sailor's Prayers Noah's Dove General 0 August 12th 07 04:43 PM
My Thoughts and Prayers... *JimH* General 13 July 8th 05 02:19 PM
Prayers for Ganz Bob Crantz ASA 8 June 9th 04 12:19 PM
FATHER NEEDS YOUR PRAYERS! CatherinesTea Cruising 2 August 3rd 03 05:24 AM