posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Fore or Aft ...That is the question.

On Aug 10, 7:51 pm, wrote:
"Joe" wrote
Which side would be better? ..I'm leaning towards a padeye forward of
the doubler plate under the winch. But in a heavy blow she may balance
better with a small sail further aft..

Any suggestions or opinions?

Yep. Put the storm jib tack on a pennant to raise it off the deck.
This accomplishes two things: raises it up above solid water sweeping
across the foredeck, thu lowering the odds that it will be ripped in
the first ten minutes of real gale conditions; and also moves the sail
aft (since the stay is slanted that way).

The best place to put the chainplate for the inner forestay is
definitely going to be forward of the winch. I'd suggest at the inside
of the stem head, where the bulwarks around the foredeck meet.

A bigger question is where to terminate the inner stay on the mast. If
you looked at the pic in Jon's link, that double-staysail ketch had 3
lowers on the mainmast. Your rig shows only one. That means you either
need to add a set of shrouds led aft to offset the forward pull of the
inner forestay, terminated at the same point on the mast; or bring the
inner forestay to the lower spreaders. That would be the simplest
option and the way I'd lean. It would also do the most to bring the
center of offort of the storm staysail aft.

If you look at this pictu
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/138...63212926ANQKPO

You can see the pad eye just under the top spreaders where the inner
stay attaches, under the triangle looking platform.

For it to run parallel the forward stay then I would have to attach
it to the winch..Thats the problem. So it's either fore by 12" or aft
by 8" at the base from parallel.

Joe

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm curious as to why you refer to a bollard on you boat... typically, a
bollard is what's on the dock... calling one on a boat isn't wrong, but it's
not common.

He's referring to the captain.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Capt. JG" wrote:
I'm curious as to why you refer to a bollard on you boat... typically,
bollard is what's on the dock... calling one on a boat isn't wrong, but
it's
not common.

He's referring to the captain.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

It's not a capstain.

Joe

Nor a gypsy...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 10, 5:31 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm setting up a stay sail forestay and have a slight problem.

See this pictu
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/272...63212926LiUcvQ

The old stay sail stay padeye was welded to an old electric winch
that was tossed in favor of my cast iron hot galvanized triple dipped
Navy number 1 wildcat drum combo. Now my inner forestay will be either
fore or aft of the winch. I guess the best would be right on top of
the bollard, but that would screw up the coating and foul things up
using the bollard.

Which side would be better? ..I'm leaning towards a padeye forward of
the doubler plate under the winch. But in a heavy blow she may balance
better with a small sail further aft..

Any suggestions or opinions?

Joe

I'm curious as to why you refer to a bollard on you boat... typically, a
bollard is what's on the dock... calling one on a boat isn't wrong, but
it's
not common.

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/216...63212926WOnZjw

Just what would you call the thingy sticking out the top of the
winch?

Joe

Your forestay is growing out of the top of your winch!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 10, 8:27 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Aug 10, 5:31 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

A palmetto?

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

That's a new term to me, but is somewhat fitting. However I think the
proper term is bollard.

Joe

Samson post

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 10, 11:04 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

I have a suggestion. It's based upon the fact that there should be
support close to where the stay attaches to the mast. The closer it
attaches to the lower shroud, upper mast attachment points the more
support it will have and the less sag-off it will have and the less
mast
bending it will cause. With this in mind, the more forward you put
the
deck fitting for the stay the higher the fitting on the mast. Head
stay
and staysail stay should be parallel, btw. If it were mine to do, I'd
put the stay deck fitting aft rather than fore. This will probably
get
the top fitting closer to the support of the lower shrouds which is a
good thing as the staysail is often your stormsail. You might even
consider fitting runners if you find the upper staysail attach point
is
somewhere in the middle of an unsupported area of the mast.

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

If you look at this pictu
http://sports.webshots.com/photo/138...63212926ANQKPO

You can see the pad eye just under the top spreaders where the inner
stay attaches, under the triangle looking platform.

For it to run parallel the forward stay then I would have to attach
it to the winch..Thats the problem. So it's either fore by 12" or aft
by 8" at the base from parallel.

Joe

It's worse than I thought. You have no fore and aft support up there
where the padeye is. If it were my boat I'd add another padeye lower
down and put the deck attachment point behind the winch. For one think
you don't need a stay in the way when working up the anchor(s) and you
don't want that bollard interfered with by a stay. And if you ever
decided to put a self-tacking staysail with a boom at the foot the winch
would be in the way. Then I'd fit running backstays at the same level on
the mast as the staysail stay upper fitting to give the mast needed fore
and aft support at the staysail stay when the wind piped up something
fierce.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 11, 12:36 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 10, 11:04 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Well I do have a stay running from the top of the main mast to the
mizzen mast.
I'm not to excited about cutting the mount off the mast and re-welding
it lower but that may be the ticket. I'm going to get it all out
tomorrow and see how it looks and see if I can come up with any other
options.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

ups.com...
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 10, 11:04 am, "Wilbur Hubbard"

wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

I'd leave the mast fitting where it is. But, I would add another below
it. Also whatever fittings it's going to take for running backs at the
level of the new fitting and on deck. The runners need only be in place
at the bottom in moderate to high winds. Otherwise they could be secured
out of the way along the lower aft shrouds.

Wilbur Hubbard