Steve

Default Fwd escape w/ dingy on fore deck??

In preperation for winter at the dock, I hoisted my 9.5' inflatable
onboard for the first time. It fits nicely, upside down, a couple feet
forward of the mast, only extends about a foot over the end of the cabin
truck. Still plenty of working/sail handling room at the mast and on the
foredeck. The cabin grab rails provide excellment tie downs. If I go
sailing or on future cruises, I will find a way to incorporate grab
lines into the dingy tie down arrangement.

Now for the downside: The dingy is over my secondary escape hatch (and
sail handling hatch). I intentionally installed this large hatch for
this primary and secondary purpose.

The hatches in the main cabin are too small for an adult and are really
just sky lights.

I'm trying to figure out a method or tie down "harness" arrangenmet
where I could open the fwd hatch (yes, it does open about 10" into the
dingy) and just pull a simple release knot or toggle so the dingy could
be 'cast aside' for emergency escape.

How do others deal with the dingy blocking the fwd hatch situation???

Steve

s/v Good Intentions
LaBomba182

Subject: Fwd escape w/ dingy on fore deck??
From: Steve

How do others deal with the dingy blocking the fwd hatch situation???

Chainsaw.

Capt. Bill
Keith

Bungee cords?

--

Keith
__
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Doug Dotson

SOunds like a poor arrangement. Only one escape hatch all the
way forward is not good. What are you trying to esacape from?
What is wrong with the companionway?

Doug
s/v Callista

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Steve

The companionway hatch is the primary routine and emergency exit
AFT and the FWD hatch is primarily for sail bags but I did make it big
enough for the largest cew member to escape through should there be an
engine or galley fire. (It is a Bowmar and I ordered it with hatch dogs
that could be operated from outside as well as inside. However it can
also be locked from the inside for dock side security.)

In response the earlier recommendations: The dingy is a ordinary
inflateable (non-RIB) but has a simi-rigid, sectional floor and still
takes up some storage space when deflated. The last time I "rolled" it
up the special "inflateable" anti foul paint caused major staining where
it contacted the inflateables topside fabric.

The total inflateable w/transom and floor boards just doesn't fit into
any reasonable bag. Much easier to stow on deck and let enough air out
so it doesn't block the view of the helmsman.

I'm really looking at this as an ultimate way to short range cruise in
local water and have the dingy ready to launch on short notice or in
each anchorage. I also plan to do some winter sailing and want the dink
available.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

"krj" wrote in message
news
Dingy davits on the stern!
krj

Double Ender!! With outboard rudder. More specifically an "Ingrid 38"

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Wayne.B

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:24:22 -0700, Steve wrote:

I'm really looking at this as an ultimate way to short range cruise in
local water and have the dingy ready to launch on short notice or in
each anchorage. I also plan to do some winter sailing and want the dink
available.

For short term storage at anchor you might be able to store it on edge
near the lifelines (perhaps with the help of a halyard). I've also
seen a few people haul them up vertically next to the mast. You could
also use a halyard to suspend it over the water with one edge fastened
to the lifelines or deck. Under sail though I'd just invert in on the
foredeck and forget about using the forward hatch. If your boat is
large enough you could always use stern davits of course.