posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Bob's sailing again

NEW YORK (Reuters) - New York police discovered a submersible floating
in the East River near a docked cruise ship on Friday and detained
three men in what they said was not a terrorist-related incident.

The partially submerged spherical sub and a small inflatable boat were
spotted approaching a security zone around the Queen Mary 2, which is
docked at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal between the boroughs of
Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Terrorism was not suspected, according to a police spokeswoman who did
not give her name.

A police statement said there were two men on the inflatable boat and
a third inside "a partially submerged vessel that appeared to be
designed for underwater navigation."

"All three males are expected to be charged with a number of
violations and both vessels will be secured by the Harbour Unit," it
said.

The submersible had a small round hatch on top and appeared to be a
replica of the Turtle, an early submarine used in the U.S.
Revolutionary War.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:35:36 -0700, Joe said:

The submersible had a small round hatch on top and appeared to be a
replica of the Turtle, an early submarine used in the U.S.
Revolutionary War.

Yes. That's just what I said when I saw the picture of it. Well known to
anyone with some knowledge of submarine history.

What was its purpose? I was under the impression that the Hunley,
Confederacy, Civil War, was the first submarine to launch an attack in
combat.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 6 Aug 2007 16:26:02 -0500, Dave wrote this crap:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 20:06:00 GMT, "Maxprop" said:

What was its purpose? I was under the impression that the Hunley,
Confederacy, Civil War, was the first submarine to launch an attack in
combat.

Nope. It was a one man device designed by a guy named Bushnell, and was
supposed to attach itself to the side of a British warship in NY harbor and
detonate an explosive charge. The Hunley, pedal powered like Turtle, had a
crew of two or more (I don't recall the number).

The Hunley had a crew of six. The Hunley was the first to launch an
attack in combat. The Turtle was a failure.

The Hunley was also sunk thrice. All three times it went down with
all hands.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 6 Aug 2007 18:08:02 -0500, Dave wrote this crap:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:28:49 -0400, Horvath said:

The Hunley was the first to launch an
attack in combat.

That's a debatable proposition. The Turtle came alongside the British ship
and tried to attach itself, with its explosive load, to the vessel's side.
It was unable to do so. Perhaps you don't call that launching an attack in
combat. If not, why not?

Maybe I should have said, "The Hunley was the first to launch a
successful attack in combat."

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Horvath" wrote in message
On 6 Aug 2007 18:08:02 -0500, Dave wrote this crap:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:28:49 -0400, Horvath said:

The Hunley was the first to launch an
attack in combat.

That's a debatable proposition. The Turtle came alongside the British ship
and tried to attach itself, with its explosive load, to the vessel's side.
It was unable to do so. Perhaps you don't call that launching an attack in
combat. If not, why not?

Maybe I should have said, "The Hunley was the first to launch a
successful attack in combat."

That's correct. I did some reading on the Turtle, and its attack did indeed
fail. The CSS H. L. Hunley's attack was successful in sinking the USS
Housatonic and, apparently, itself with all hands. A search group led by
author Clive Cussler discovered the Hunley's resting place a few years back
and she was salvaged subsequently. Today she is on display in Charleston,
SC.

Max

Bob's boat [email protected] ASA 8 January 4th 06 02:49 AM
bob's dog changes around our draper after we sow about it R. E. Mills ASA 0 April 22nd 05 01:04 PM
Capt. Neal is even on Bob's Sailing Links page Simple Simon ASA 13 October 20th 03 02:19 AM
A Review of Bob's Summer Sailing Plans.... Capt. Mooron ASA 1 September 11th 03 09:39 PM
Bob's Gems of Sailing Wisdom Capt. Mooron ASA 2 September 1st 03 04:43 PM