posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Bob's sailing again

"Horvath" wrote in message
On 6 Aug 2007 18:08:02 -0500, Dave wrote this crap:

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:28:49 -0400, Horvath said:

The Hunley was the first to launch an
attack in combat.

That's a debatable proposition. The Turtle came alongside the British ship
and tried to attach itself, with its explosive load, to the vessel's side.
It was unable to do so. Perhaps you don't call that launching an attack in
combat. If not, why not?

Maybe I should have said, "The Hunley was the first to launch a
successful attack in combat."

That's correct. I did some reading on the Turtle, and its attack did indeed
fail. The CSS H. L. Hunley's attack was successful in sinking the USS
Housatonic and, apparently, itself with all hands. A search group led by
author Clive Cussler discovered the Hunley's resting place a few years back
and she was salvaged subsequently. Today she is on display in Charleston,
SC.

Max