posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default ASA vs US Sailing schools

Hi All,

I recognize that this is an ASA newsgroup, but wanted to get people
opinions of the differences/advantages, if any, of one training program
versus the other. I've poked around on the web to try to find the
differences and have read a little bit about the history of the two
training programs. I have no sailing experience and don't really have
any interest in racing. ASA starts out with a Basic Keelboat course
and US Sailing starts out with Small Boat Sailing, but I'm primarily
interested in cruising for pleasure in a 24+ foot boat. Any
insight/recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Matt Majka" wrote in message
Hi All,

I recognize that this is an ASA newsgroup, but wanted to get people
opinions of the differences/advantages, if any, of one training program
versus the other. I've poked around on the web to try to find the
differences and have read a little bit about the history of the two
training programs. I have no sailing experience and don't really have any
interest in racing. ASA starts out with a Basic Keelboat course and US
Sailing starts out with Small Boat Sailing, but I'm primarily interested
in cruising for pleasure in a 24+ foot boat. Any insight/recommendations
are appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

I teach in both programs. Except for some minor differences in method,
they're essentially the same. For the more junior classes at one
organization, we use the USSailing book Basic Keelboat. It's got some errors
in it, but it has good basic explanations. For the more advanced classes, we
use the ASA book Sailing Fundamentals. It has a lot more detailed
information, though fewer graphics.

Keep in mind that when all is said and done, it's the quality of the
instruction, not the quality of the piece of paper you get at the end of the
class. The piece of paper that says you passed a class is meaningless by
itself. What counts is how much you learned and where you've sailed. This
can be accomplished (and documented) without paying through the nose for
either piece of paper. If you're interested in chartering, for example, your
sailing resume is much more important than an ASA or USSailing
certification.

If you feel uncomfortable with an instructor, find another one.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 2007-07-21 08:53:39 -0600, "Capt. JG" said:

"Matt Majka" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the input. I'm a part-time flight instructor, so all of the
same teaching principles apply (student/instructor compatibility,
quality of the instruction, time student is willing to invest outside
of the training environment, etc.).

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Matt,

They are both based on the RYA standard. While the
ASA and USS do not recognize each other standards,
it is simply proof that both groups are run by idiots.
They are exactly the same.

If you are looking for good instruction, ask for the resumes
of the competing schools sailing instructors. Find a good
instructor and you will learn more.

As for pieces of paper. That is what they are--pieces
of paper. If you want to develop your skills, keep your
own records of boats sailed, registration numbers, and
size of boat, dates. Develop your own plan of progression.

Get on race crew and you will learn a lot also. Chose
a competitive one design fleet.

Keep an open mind. Question everything.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 2007-07-21 20:59:30 -0600, Bart said:

Matt,

They are both based on the RYA standard. While the
ASA and USS do not recognize each other standards,
it is simply proof that both groups are run by idiots.
They are exactly the same.

If you are looking for good instruction, ask for the resumes
of the competing schools sailing instructors. Find a good
instructor and you will learn more.

As for pieces of paper. That is what they are--pieces
of paper. If you want to develop your skills, keep your
own records of boats sailed, registration numbers, and
size of boat, dates. Develop your own plan of progression.

Get on race crew and you will learn a lot also. Chose
a competitive one design fleet.

Keep an open mind. Question everything.

Thanks, Bart. Good advice.

Schools not that good! Bob Crantz ASA 8 April 25th 07 02:09 AM
Carribean sailing schools TD Cruising 2 January 22nd 06 04:25 AM
Annapolis Schools etc. Michael ASA 1 August 26th 04 04:39 AM
Sailing schools in New York City area John Forkosh Cruising 14 April 22nd 04 11:38 PM
Sailing schools in VA? Dave Skolnick General 1 August 14th 03 06:27 PM