posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Anybody Sail on the 4th?

I know Scout splashed his boat, Joe had a nice party, and Ed is making
progress on his Mac 26X. Bobsprit is sick, and hope he gets better
quick, because he's a pretty dependable sailing poster. Not to say
I don't wish him well anyway.
I was in the basement reading about boats, except for some time back
yard grilling with some of the kids and their friends.
Didn't see any sailing stories mentioned here, so I was disappointed a
bit.
Then I quickly realized most people here don't post from their boat
when sailing, so that made me feel a bit more optimistic about things
picking up when everybody gets back ashore.
So if you've got any tales of reaching, reefing, tacking, etc, it
would be nice to post them. Encourages us lubbers to get sailing.
I sometimes look up those nautical terms and nomenclature as you
post so to clean the salt off and understand what I'm looking at.
Then I'll be better-prepared to become a real sailor.
Can anybody recommend good basic reading material for the new sailor
who wants to start learning the ropes?

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Lot's of good information he
http://www.sailingusa.info/basic_navigation.htm

If that's too deep for you even better basic information he
http://www.homestead.com/captneal/index10.html Click on the Novice
Lessons links at the bottom of the page.

Greg

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I was actually crazy enough to consider going out on my friend's
Pearson 32 last night to watch the fireworks near Rye on the LIS. I do
have a full blown cold and a hell of a sore throat, so I finally let
Suzanne be a good nurse and keep me home. It's good that she did
because they got steadily rained on for almost the whole sail. In the
meantime I had my yard short haul my boat for a new transducer and
some engine work. I figure to be doing very little sailing until next
week.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 20:03:40 -0400, "Gregory Hall"
wrote:

Lot's of good information he
http://www.sailingusa.info/basic_navigation.htm

If that's too deep for you even better basic information he
http://www.homestead.com/captneal/index10.html Click on the Novice
Lessons links at the bottom of the page.

Greg

Thanks Greg. Good links.

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:55:39 -0000, "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

I was actually crazy enough to consider going out on my friend's
Pearson 32 last night to watch the fireworks near Rye on the LIS. I do
have a full blown cold and a hell of a sore throat, so I finally let
Suzanne be a good nurse and keep me home. It's good that she did
because they got steadily rained on for almost the whole sail. In the
meantime I had my yard short haul my boat for a new transducer and
some engine work. I figure to be doing very little sailing until next
week.

Take care of yourself. I'll catch your sailing tales when you get
back on the water. I know you catch some flack here, but I'm
sure many of us enjoy your reports.
Fun is......fun. Even when 2nd hand like I get it.

--Vic

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I didn't sail on the 4th but I did go racing on the 5th. Crewed for
some friends on their Lagoon 380 cat for the Thursday night beercan
race - cruising class - in Seattle. It was my third race with them and
my third time on a big cat. I think I'm starting to get a feel for
her. It couldn't have been a more perfect night. Wind in the mid to
high teens balmy temps and just a beautiful night to be in Elliott Bay
and admire the Seattle cityscape while zooming along, "condomaran"
style. We're still figuring out the best way to handle her crusing
'chute but we'll get it sorted out by the end of the series, I'm sure.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:20:41 -0700, Frank wrote:

I didn't sail on the 4th but I did go racing on the 5th. Crewed for
some friends on their Lagoon 380 cat for the Thursday night beercan
race - cruising class - in Seattle. It was my third race with them and
my third time on a big cat. I think I'm starting to get a feel for
her. It couldn't have been a more perfect night. Wind in the mid to
high teens balmy temps and just a beautiful night to be in Elliott Bay
and admire the Seattle cityscape while zooming along, "condomaran"
style. We're still figuring out the best way to handle her crusing
'chute but we'll get it sorted out by the end of the series, I'm sure.

Sounds like a good time. I couldn't find the definition of "beercan
race" but only suppose from context that it's informal.
Can anybody tell me how they are organized and what rules generally
apply?
The Lagoon 380 is a pretty well respected cruiser. I've read some are
equipped with a bowsprit so to use a spinnaker, and some use a
gennaker or a screecher. Pretty confusing to me.
When you mentioned "cruising 'chute" were you referring to one of
those?

Thanks

--Vic
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Jul 6, 3:28 pm, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

Hi, Vic,

Sorry if my shorthand confused you. There are many tyes of after-work
sailing races. Some are very serious and very competitive with strict
adherence to rules and there are a number of Olympic-class and world-
class racers in the Seattle area. Some of the racing in this area is
mercilessly competitive. For a typical around-the-buoys race, the race
committee sets a course appropriate to the conditions so it'll start
after work and last a reasonable amount of time. This particular
club's race series is sooooo casual, I can't even classify it as
'round-the-buoys, it's pretty much just a "beercan" race. No snarky
captains yelling about obscure rules, no protests, no penalty for
touching the mark, etc. Just a fun night on the water.

This boat has an asymmetrical spinnaker ("cruising chute") which came
with the boat. Think of it as a light-air genoa. Sort of. I don't
think this one was originally made for this boat and it seems to be
badly cut. My friends, the current owners, are trying to get a feel
for how to best use it, as a 40ish couple with three kids. Still
experimenting. I have no previous experience with big cats so I'm
enjoying the learning curve, too. Lots of fun. And roomier than my
first apartment!

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

We went out for a few hours. Nice day, wind 10 - 12k pretty steady.
Toward the mid-afternoon, we had a thunderstorm build right above us.
We dropped the sails and headed back in a hurry. As we were securing
the boat, the heavy rain and lightening started.

But it was a great day while it lasted.

(Carlyle Lake, IL)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Holidays suck on the water. All the weekend warriors and
glorified day sailors, like Bob, come out and cause havoc
for the rest of us.
I was in the desert on the 4th. White sands, NM.

Scotty

Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 08:04 AM
Sail Ho! [email protected] General 1 September 9th 05 10:54 PM
Fall Sail on the Chesapeake Bay Scott Vernon ASA 169 October 25th 04 12:14 AM
Wanted: DN Sail for Donation or cheap for BSA Troop Rob General 0 February 23rd 04 02:30 PM
Removing Adhesive from Sail Numbers on sail George and Vicki Hamilton General 4 December 22nd 03 02:43 AM