posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Anybody Sail on the 4th?

You should have stopped by.

"Scotty" wrote in message
Holidays suck on the water. All the weekend warriors and
glorified day sailors, like Bob, come out and cause havoc
for the rest of us.
I was in the desert on the 4th. White sands, NM.

Scotty

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

We went out for a few hours. Nice day, wind 10 - 12k

pretty steady.
Toward the mid-afternoon, we had a thunderstorm build

right above us.
We dropped the sails and headed back in a hurry. As we

were securing
the boat, the heavy rain and lightening started.

But it was a great day while it lasted.

(Carlyle Lake, IL)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote in message
Holidays suck on the water. All the weekend warriors and
glorified day sailors, like Bob, come out and cause havoc
for the rest of us.
I was in the desert on the 4th. White sands, NM.

Scotty

You're sure 100% correct with you observations. Holidays are the very
worst time to be out on the water. Every wannabe clown jumps in his boat
or jet-ski and goes out and runs around like a bunch of raving lunatics.
Many of them are legally drunk starting about ten o'clock in the morning
and they get drunker than that as the day progresses.

It's the New York jerk type like Bobsprit who loves these dangerous
crowds. Loves being out there because there's a bigger audience for him
to show off in front of. Never mind he should be ashamed of his POS
Beneteau. Given a big enough audience of drunken wannabes there's always
a few who give him the "thumbs up" as they roar by. This attention is
what Bobsprit and his show-off ilk live for. Without an audience
Bobsprit would quickly lose interest. He gets no enjoyment out of
sailing. He derives his enjoyment out of being noticed. The more people
out there to notice him the better he feels. Elbow to elbow drunken
humanity allows him to direct his attention outwards. This is far
preferable to self-examination which would be depressing as hell . . .

Real sailors avoid the holiday moron crowds.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Scotty" wrote in message
[...]

SMACKDOWN!!!!! "Masthead" has always been a big loser. I was slapping
him around ten years ago. Some things never change.

Cheers,
Ed Gordon

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
I know Scout splashed his boat, Joe had a nice party, and Ed is making
progress on his Mac 26X. Bobsprit is sick, and hope he gets better
quick, because he's a pretty dependable sailing poster. Not to say
I don't wish him well anyway.
I was in the basement reading about boats, except for some time back
yard grilling with some of the kids and their friends.
Didn't see any sailing stories mentioned here, so I was disappointed a
bit.
Then I quickly realized most people here don't post from their boat
when sailing, so that made me feel a bit more optimistic about things
picking up when everybody gets back ashore.
So if you've got any tales of reaching, reefing, tacking, etc, it
would be nice to post them. Encourages us lubbers to get sailing.
I sometimes look up those nautical terms and nomenclature as you
post so to clean the salt off and understand what I'm looking at.
Then I'll be better-prepared to become a real sailor.
Can anybody recommend good basic reading material for the new sailor
who wants to start learning the ropes?

--Vic

We were on Lake Mead for the week... really, really not.. 120 or so for a
couple of days. No sailing, just houseboating, wake-boarding, and sittin in
the water.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:47:35 -0700, Frank wrote:

Hi, Vic,

Sorry if my shorthand confused you. There are many tyes of after-work
sailing races. Some are very serious and very competitive with strict
adherence to rules and there are a number of Olympic-class and world-
class racers in the Seattle area. Some of the racing in this area is
mercilessly competitive. For a typical around-the-buoys race, the race
committee sets a course appropriate to the conditions so it'll start
after work and last a reasonable amount of time. This particular
club's race series is sooooo casual, I can't even classify it as
'round-the-buoys, it's pretty much just a "beercan" race. No snarky
captains yelling about obscure rules, no protests, no penalty for
touching the mark, etc. Just a fun night on the water.

This boat has an asymmetrical spinnaker ("cruising chute") which came
with the boat. Think of it as a light-air genoa. Sort of. I don't
think this one was originally made for this boat and it seems to be
badly cut. My friends, the current owners, are trying to get a feel
for how to best use it, as a 40ish couple with three kids. Still
experimenting. I have no previous experience with big cats so I'm
enjoying the learning curve, too. Lots of fun. And roomier than my
first apartment!

Thanks, Frank. Good luck in the next race.

--Vic

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Lewry" wrote in message
. net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, not as dramtic as other places we could have been, but the beaches were
nice. Saw long-horn sheep up close. They came down to get a drink from the
lake. Nasty wake-board injury for me, so no sailing for a couple of weeks,
but the doc said all is intact.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 7, 5:37 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Capt. Lewry" wrote in message

. net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

Deck Division use to have massive Keg parties on lake Mead.
Sounds like nothing has changed. Sit in the wtaer and drink beer all
day long and never get a buzz because you sweat it out.

So what happened with the wake board?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 7, 5:37 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Capt. Lewry" wrote in message

. net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, I haven't been up behind a ski boat in about 25 years... (last time in
Tahiti was unsuccessful and I got a leg muscle pull) popped up the first
time though, no problem. I haven't looked but I think there's a pic of me
cruisin along. Then on the fourth time at bat, forgot everything I learned
and didn't stand up as soon as I should have. Got my feet jammed into my
face with my knees in the way. Heard a very loud pop, mind-blanking pain in
my lower back/legs running down to my ankles. Couldn't move an inch due to
the pain, but they fished me out and I was walking around the next day. We
had a doc on the boat who prescribed massive Advil, vodka shots, and a cold
pack on the back seemed to do the trick. Went to my doc today who said don't
do much for two weeks, no long-term damage probably. Thought the ER
treatment was about right. Gave me a script for Vicodin if I need it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 7, 6:40 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 7, 5:37 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Capt. Lewry" wrote in message

y.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Vic Smith" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

bummer. getting old eh?

Joe

Ping Thom. Peter Wiley ASA 27 November 1st 05 08:04 AM
Sail Ho! [email protected] General 1 September 9th 05 10:54 PM
Fall Sail on the Chesapeake Bay Scott Vernon ASA 169 October 25th 04 12:14 AM
Wanted: DN Sail for Donation or cheap for BSA Troop Rob General 0 February 23rd 04 02:30 PM
Removing Adhesive from Sail Numbers on sail George and Vicki Hamilton General 4 December 22nd 03 02:43 AM