posted to alt.sailing.asa
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Anybody Sail on the 4th?

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:20:41 -0700, Frank wrote:

I didn't sail on the 4th but I did go racing on the 5th. Crewed for
some friends on their Lagoon 380 cat for the Thursday night beercan
race - cruising class - in Seattle. It was my third race with them and
my third time on a big cat. I think I'm starting to get a feel for
her. It couldn't have been a more perfect night. Wind in the mid to
high teens balmy temps and just a beautiful night to be in Elliott Bay
and admire the Seattle cityscape while zooming along, "condomaran"
style. We're still figuring out the best way to handle her crusing
'chute but we'll get it sorted out by the end of the series, I'm sure.

Sounds like a good time. I couldn't find the definition of "beercan
race" but only suppose from context that it's informal.
Can anybody tell me how they are organized and what rules generally
apply?
The Lagoon 380 is a pretty well respected cruiser. I've read some are
equipped with a bowsprit so to use a spinnaker, and some use a
gennaker or a screecher. Pretty confusing to me.
When you mentioned "cruising 'chute" were you referring to one of
those?

Thanks

--Vic