posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Default Mac26X fit for all waters

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Ed Gordon" wrote in message

I meant Cape of Good Hope. Sorry.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon

Ah, well that's a bit different. North America to South Africa is only 7000
miles. Another 12,000 or so might put you in Australia, but it's hard to
say. There are no recognised cruising routes from Cape of Good Hope to
Australia -- perhaps you could write a book on it?

I'd be more willing to try that in my Catalina 18 than a Mac.
Sheesh!

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Ed Gordon" wrote in message
8...

It's longer than I thought. How about this? Buy the Macs

on the US east
coast and then go to Australia via Cape Horn. That way it

would be
westerly winds the whole way. Just stay on the edge of the

roaring 40s
so it wouldn't be too rough and it would be a milk run the

whole way.
One could re-provision in South Africa. Going across the

Equator south
of the Windwards would be the only light wind area.

never heard of a shipping container, eh genius?

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Jeff" wrote in

Not even legal to trailer. You need a wide-load permit

for that boat of
yours.

with a permit, it would then be legal, you putz.

At 18 feet wide I don't think any of my sisterships have

ever been on
a trailer!

probably right, but it is doable.

Scotty

* Scotty wrote, On 6/11/2007 11:34 PM:
At 18 feet wide I don't think any of my sisterships have
ever been on a trailer!

probably right, but it is doable.

Actually, I should have added "on a public road." My boat, and its
sisters, were hauled on a special trailer from the factory (the same
building Alberg 30's and Whitby 42's were built in) across the lot to
the marina for launch with a crane. Virtually all of the boats left
the factory on their own bottoms, but there were rumors that a few of
the smaller cats (15 foot beams) left on the highway.
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:44:33 -0400, Jeff wrote:

A PDQ 36 catamaran. More boat than you can even dream of.

The PDQ 36 is a quarter million dollar boat. Guess it's quite easy to
look down your nose at the lowly Mac 26.
If my wife would let me sell the house I might consider the PDQ, and
could then look down on the Mac myself.
Since she'd leave me, I could fit quite a few broads on that PDQ.
But that won't happen.
Some folks just want to get on the water in whatever they can afford.
I'm sure Ed Gordon's deep love of the Mac 26 is partly due to the
affordability factor, and that the price can even allow him the
opportunity of sailing or powering a *new* boat.
It isn't as roomy, as safe, or as fast as your PDQ, but it allows
him to get out there on the water.
Thanks for recommending the Marshall and Parker for gunkholing,
but they are impractical for me, and for most who would go with the
Mac 26. As you can see, the Marshall 22 starts at 68k:
http://www.marshallcat.com/M22Lines.htm
Looking at the option list, its safe to say the boat cost is about 3
times the cost of a Mac 26. It's a pretty boat, but out of my price
range. Looks like it isn't as roomy as the Mac, too.
And despite its looks and sailing qualities, some may find it as Cape
Cod precious.
My favorite option:
Cetol finish on teak - 4 coats 1,950.00
That's about what I pay for a car.
As to the Parker:
http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boa....jsp?boatid=18
I didn't even look at the price, seeing the recommended power is
Yamaha Twin F150
Yamaha Twin F200
Right there before you get the boat you've exceeded the cost of the
Mac 26. Not to mention all the gas guzzling. I guess I could just
buy the Yammies and run them in barrels in the back yard, but I don't
want to.
To be fair, you could power the Parker more economically, or do the
same with this: http://www.rosboroughboats.com/sedan_cruiser.html
but the initial and operating costs would still be higher than most
Mac owners can or want to pay.
Besides, despite its poor performance, people *do* sail the Macs.
I'm still a young man and have no inclination to go pure stink-pot,
even aside from my limited finances.
Jeff, though I appreciate your advice, I'm thinking more in line with
Capt'n Neal's website boat buying advice regarding price.
Trouble is the Capt'n is a deep keel, blue water, bristol fashion
sailor. And I just want a fairly comfortable gunkholer.
Still, I'm afraid the Mac 26 series might be more boat than I can
afford, so when I'm ready I'll have to study the Captain's site again,
and ask the kind people here for advice.
Hey, lot's of different boat ideas here, and a perfect example of the
old saw "That's what makes the world go around."
Or is that sex?
Pretty damn neat anyway, and I sure do learn a lot about boats here.
Can't wait until I start sailing and buy my first splicing fid.
Sitting on a gently rocking boat in a subtropical harbor, now and then
a fish jumping in the air, its splashing re-entry the only contention
to the gentle breeze in rippling the water, as the sun makes its final
arc over the palm shaded horizon, I lackadaisically splice a halyard
with my fid. A cold beer by my side of course. Oh yeah!

--Vic

posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

cavelamb himself wrote in
. net:

KLC Lewis wrote:
"Ed Gordon" wrote in message

I meant Cape of Good Hope. Sorry.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.freewebs.com/egordon873/index.htm

Ah, well that's a bit different. North America to South Africa is
only 7000 miles. Another 12,000 or so might put you in Australia, but
it's hard to say. There are no recognised cruising routes from Cape
of Good Hope to Australia -- perhaps you could write a book on it?

I'd be more willing to try that in my Catalina 18 than a Mac.
Sheesh!

But the Catalina 18 is relatively worthless in Australia. (or anywhere
else I guess) You must have missed the original post where they said a
new Mac26M was selling for $75,000 in Australia. That's seems like an
opportunity for some young adverturers to make some serious cash and put
some spice in their life.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.freewebs.com/egordon873/index.htm
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

"Scotty" wrote in
:

never heard of a shipping container, eh genius?

I saw a picture with a Mac26M inside a shipping container. It fit real
good. But it would probably cost ten or twenty grand to ship a Mac to
Australia. You could sail it there for probably 500 bucks worth of
groceries and drinks.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.freewebs.com/egordon873/index.htm
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Charlie Morgan wrote in
:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:25:03 -0400, "Scotty"
wrote:

"Ed Gordon" wrote in message
.78...

It's longer than I thought. How about this? Buy the Macs

on the US east
coast and then go to Australia via Cape Horn. That way it

would be
westerly winds the whole way. Just stay on the edge of the

roaring 40s
so it wouldn't be too rough and it would be a milk run the

whole way.
One could re-provision in South Africa. Going across the

Equator south
of the Windwards would be the only light wind area.

never heard of a shipping container, eh genius?

I doubt the Mac26x/m would even be a good shipping container. If they
dropped one a foot or two, it would open like a spring loaded pinata.

CWM

You just ain't to bright there, man! He meant putting the Mac inside a
shipping container. Not using a Mac for a shipping container.

Make a cradle padded with carpet to set the Mac on and then slide it
right into the shipping container. Then pad it out with styrofoam
peanuts or something like that. It would survive without a scratch even
in a hurricane.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.freewebs.com/egordon873/index.htm
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Duncan McC (NZ) wrote in
. nz:

Pretty scary you would say the price is good for a Mac 26 in Oz/NZ,
given what I've heard. Were you looking there or in the U.S.?
Agree on the Mac 26 cabin. The spartan nature gives it a less
claustrophobic feel than similar sized boats. But some will see that
lack of cabinetry as inadequate stowage.

Indeed the word 'spartan' came to mind - and indeed there is not a lot
of locker space as a result - probably not *that* bad for a weekend or
even a week away - at least everything is at hand (don't have to
rumage around lockers - as I do on my boat).

There's more storage space than you might think. Check out this video
and watch the part where the dude shows all the storage. Pretty
impressive sales pitch.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...19&q=macgregor

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.freewebs.com/egordon873/index.htm
posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing

Jeff wrote in
:

And yet, just yesterday, you bragged about how fast it would go with
an empty ballast tank with the Honda engine.

Hey, man, I can do it because I'm not stupid or drunk. I was smart
enough not to have bowriders etc. Keep the people inside or in the
cockpit for stability with an empty tank. It does go faster without the
ballast under power. It's just plain physics.

So please explain to us which boats it sails faster than. You've said
many times that its a "fast sailer" but when I look at the ratings, I
have trouble finding a boat remotely comparable to a Mac that isn't
10% faster, or more. In fact, its real hard to find a boat that's
slower than a Mac. So please, give us an example of a boat that sails
slower than a Mac.

Any boat that has less length waterline will be slower than a Mac under
sail. But since the Mac is a plaining hull it can go faster than heavy
ballast keel boats in winds strong enough to plain it off. You want an
example, just look up boats that have less than a 23 feet. Here's one
much slower Alerion Express 20.

Yes, that's the perfect boat for a family cruiser. Even in perfect
weather, if you get complacent it will roll over and kill you.

Catamarans roll over and kill people too. People still buy them too.
It's because they know the risks. Every boat has it's own risks. You're
too uptight, man.