posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising,uk.rec.sailing
Ed Gordon Ed Gordon is offline

Default Mac26X fit for all waters

http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/p11.htm

Myth#11 Mac26 is not for ocean sailing. Go ahead, click the link and see
just how good and seaworthy a professional captain thinks the Mac really
is. Dare you. Jeff expecially.

If you're too much of a coward to admit how good the Mac26X is don't
click the link and don't read a little of what it has in it that I
pasted right here.-- Owing to "focally ruptured gangreous acute
appendicitis", I spent the better part of January 2001 arguing about
this (the Mac26x is fit for all waters), rather than sailing or working,
and have 80 pages of emails as well as several magazines and books on
boat design involving the subject. According to Sea magazine (April
2005) "California's coastline is not particularly trailerboat-friendly -
the areas where you can take small or trailerboats are limited, so it
also would stand to reason that boaters would be heading to inland lakes
and rivers in droves." But MacGregor Yachts has always oriented its
products for world-wide coastal ocean and not just Califorina sales. The
manufacturer believes that a 26 footer is too small to hold enough gear
and supplies for passage. However, at least one Mac26x dealer considers
ocean passage to be within the boat's design parameters and in 1999 more
that a few Mac26x vessels made the trip from Crandon Park marina on
Miami's Key Biscayn or nearby to the Bahamas. At least one Mac26x yacht
made the trip from the city marina at Garison Bight in Key West to the
Marquesas and on to the Tortugas. The 1000 mile coast of Florida has
been sailed by a Mac26x. And two Mac26x cruisers (from Bellingham and
Everett) were outfitted for an Alaskan inside passage (over 2000 miles)
following the Cassiopeia in that regard. Those who find the ride of a
light displacement under 30 foot sailboat preferable in ocean swells see
its potential as a long-distance passage maker. This is demonstrated by
reports that MacGregor Yachts receives many unsolicited requests for
sponsorship of expeditions involving Mac26x ocean passages and by the
consideration given to adding a platform (as discussed above) which
would be used for storage during an extended cruise. It is also a
favorite for chartering at blue water destinations such as the BVI,
Bahamas Malaysia, Spain and Belize.

Told you so. I enjoy being your mentor...

Oh, be sure to visit my new anti-drug abuse site linked under my name.
Also please click on a link or two for the sponsors to keep this site
free of charges. Much appreciated.

--
Cheerio,
Ed Gordon