Default What does it take to enter US waters by boat?

Guys,

sorry for the boat related post

I noticed the US border is a lot closer as i thought ... Now I have the
following questions and was wondering if anybody knows the answers:

- For non americans, how close can you go (by boat) to the US border
(an imaginary line)? Can you go somewhat close or across? Is it
monitored closely?

- If you cross the border will the coastguard hassle you? here we have
the case that there are canadian waters that in order to get to you
have to go through US parts of the ocean ...

- If you drive deeper into US waters and even to US land/marina what
procedure do you have to go to before you go?

- Lastly a question just for fun: If the US coast guard hassles you in
US waters can you just drive back into canadian waters? Or will they
chase you? shoot at you? get the canadian coast guard to finish you
off?

Thanks

Matt

Short Wave Sportfishing

On 13 Apr 2005 13:46:09 -0700, wrote:

Guys,

sorry for the boat related post

I noticed the US border is a lot closer as i thought ... Now I have the
following questions and was wondering if anybody knows the answers:

- For non americans, how close can you go (by boat) to the US border
(an imaginary line)? Can you go somewhat close or across? Is it
monitored closely?

- If you cross the border will the coastguard hassle you? here we have
the case that there are canadian waters that in order to get to you
have to go through US parts of the ocean ...

- If you drive deeper into US waters and even to US land/marina what
procedure do you have to go to before you go?

When I was up on the St. Lawrence last year, there wasn't any
requirement for traveling through Canadian waters, but if I were to
land or anchor in Canadian waters, I had to report to immigration or
get permission as I remember the requirements.

I'm not at all sure the same is true for American waters. Although I
heard or read somewhere that there was going to be an effort to
control access by water more closely.

I don't think there is anything being enforced at the moment.

- Lastly a question just for fun: If the US coast guard hassles you in
US waters can you just drive back into canadian waters?

Only if it's a criminal act.

Or will they chase you? shoot at you? get the canadian coast guard
to finish you off?

Hopefully. :)

Although I must say, based on my experience with the Canadians, they
certainly are a...

Well, let's just leave that experience alone.

Later,

Tom
JimH

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Plenty of things you better be aware of, especially since 9-11:

http://boating.ncf.ca/usborder.html

http://www.bellhaven.net/customs.html

http://www.cruising.ca/docs/USAE.html

http://www.cruising.ca/docs/forigen.html

http://www.tc.gc.ca/BoatingSafety/facts/foreign.htm

http://www.nfl.ca/foreign_boaters/

- If you drive deeper into US waters and even to US land/marina what
procedure do you have to go to before you go?

When I was up on the St. Lawrence last year, there wasn't any
requirement for traveling through Canadian waters, but if I were to
land or anchor in Canadian waters, I had to report to immigration or
get permission as I remember the requirements.

I'm not at all sure the same is true for American waters. Although I
heard or read somewhere that there was going to be an effort to
control access by water more closely.

I doubt it too .. after all there are people trying to smuggle all
sorts of **** into the US

I don't think there is anything being enforced at the moment.

- Lastly a question just for fun: If the US coast guard hassles you

in
US waters can you just drive back into canadian waters?

Only if it's a criminal act.

Or will they chase you? shoot at you? get the canadian coast guard
to finish you off?

Hopefully. :)

LOL

Although I must say, based on my experience with the Canadians, they
certainly are a...

Well, let's just leave that experience alone.

c'mon, you cant just tease us ... Tell the story

thanks for the info

Looks like a huge PITA

Matt

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:03:19 GMT, Don White
wrote:

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
snip
Although I must say, based on my experience with the Canadians, they
certainly are a...

Well, let's just leave that experience alone.

Say what?

It's a long story and really not worth repeating - it was resolved in
a satisfactory manner by the USCG and Canadian Navy or whoever it was
that was involved. I just felt that the Canadians, in the face of the
visual and verbal reports of the incident in question, could have been
a bit more understanding rather than acting like I was trying to sneak
into Canada.

Later,

Tom

Jim Carter

"Short Wave Sportfishing" wrote in message It's
a long story and really not worth repeating - it was resolved in
a satisfactory manner by the USCG and Canadian Navy or whoever it was
that was involved. I just felt that the Canadians, in the face of the
visual and verbal reports of the incident in question, could have been
a bit more understanding rather than acting like I was trying to sneak
into Canada.

Later,

Tom

Now Tom! Don't leave us in suspense! Tell us the details, after
all.....it's boating!

Jim

You are just makeing it worse now!

If the canadian Navy stopped you boat it must have been interesting!

So, open up!

Matt

Don White

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

It's a long story and really not worth repeating - it was resolved in
a satisfactory manner by the USCG and Canadian Navy or whoever it was
that was involved. I just felt that the Canadians, in the face of the
visual and verbal reports of the incident in question, could have been
a bit more understanding rather than acting like I was trying to sneak
into Canada.

Later,

Tom

If we aren't tough on 'questionable visitors' the US security people
s*it all over us. They seem to
think we're too lax in preventing terrorists etc. from using us to
attack you. It's a no win situation.