posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default 3 or 4 hurricane sailboats

Joe steelredcloud wrote:
How's the town fairing these days?

The debris is almost all picked up but the rebuilding has been slow.
You can count the number of replaced beach homes (between Gpt City
limits) on one hand. Frank B's post pretty well covers the rest.

I was amazed at the number of volunteers from all over the place that
came in to help clean up. Unfortunately, there was no place to put
them. The coast went from 17,000 hotel rooms to 4,000 during the
storm, so they were mostly staying in tents, in and under their trucks
& cars, and many times right out in the open. We owe a *lot* of people
a debt we'll never be able to repay.

Rick
posted to alt.sailing.asa

PhantMan wrote:
didn't see
anything showing the worst of it and the tidal surge rolling in.

Just looked again and they actually did get some footage of a little
water on the ground level of the garage as well as around that mini
van. I couldn't quite make out where it was parked.
My mistake.

Rick
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:47:37 -0500, lid wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jun 07, steelredcloud wrote:
How many can you see ashore?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWCBUM7_Eg

Somehow a video just can't capture what it was like in person. Not
knockin' just this video.... I've seen quite a few and none of them
can. I guess it's better than print or a verbal rendition though.
Still, you just can't imagine without actually seeing it.

BTW, most of it was shot in downtown Gulfport, apparently from inside
the parking garage behind Hancock Bank. Some appeared to be as it was
coming ashore and the rest after it was all over. I didn't see
anything showing the worst of it and the tidal surge rolling in. Maybe
the camera guy had more important things on his mind during that
period -shrug-

Rick

I thought the rendition was somewhat mild compared to what the actual
had to be. With regard to the tidal surge, my Mother-in-law's place
in Bayou view had seven feet of water in the house. She lived on
Poplar Circle, which is, what, three miles from the beachfront.
Backs up to Brickyard Bayou so her flood damage a result of the
backwaters that were pushed up.

As a comparison, Cat 5 Camille put 18 inches in the same house.

And the volunteers are still coming. We made three trips, two for
family and one long week with a group doing volunteer reconstruction.
As a result we are on a emailing list from the volunteer center, get a
weekly report on how many are in the center. Center (Dedeaux Retreat
Center) recently closed for this purpose and volunteers now staying in
Biloxi.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 6, 9:52 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:47:37 -0500, wrote:
[...]

Not me Frank, And I've been through many hurricanes Alicia beingthe
worst. When he is standing back filming out from the garage the wind
looks like a tornado more than a hurricane. 110 mph winds is nothing
compared to the way those winds looked IMO.

With regard to the tidal surge, my Mother-in-law's place
in Bayou view had seven feet of water in the house. She lived on
Poplar Circle, which is, what, three miles from the beachfront.
Backs up to Brickyard Bayou so her flood damage a result of the
backwaters that were pushed up.

That the whole argument in the insurance suits that the flooding was
wind related.

As a comparison, Cat 5 Camille put 18 inches in the same house.

And the volunteers are still coming. We made three trips, two for
family and one long week with a group doing volunteer reconstruction.
As a result we are on a emailing list from the volunteer center, get a
weekly report on how many are in the center. Center (Dedeaux Retreat
Center) recently closed for this purpose and volunteers now staying in
Biloxi.

Frank- Hide quoted text -

Is your mother inlaws house rebuildt?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:06:16 -0700, Joe
wrote:

[...]

But the declarations pages clearly state "rising water from any source
or cause" Certainly, I'm sympathetic, but don't see the long term
solution being turning the tort lawyers loose on the insurance
companies. If they win because of sympathetic juries, it will just
drive more insurance companies out of the area. Lawyers will get
rich, plantiffs will get a partial settlement and won't be able to buy
insurance again.

As a comparison, Cat 5 Camille put 18 inches in the same house.

And the volunteers are still coming. We made three trips, two for
family and one long week with a group doing volunteer reconstruction.
As a result we are on a emailing list from the volunteer center, get a
weekly report on how many are in the center. Center (Dedeaux Retreat
Center) recently closed for this purpose and volunteers now staying in
Biloxi.

Frank- Hide quoted text -

Is your mother inlaws house rebuildt?

No, she lived in a trailer for a while, now in an apartment. She
decided twice flooded is enough, she sold the lot and the shell of the
house that remained.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Phantman:
Somehow a video just can't capture what it was like in person.

Frank:
I thought the rendition was somewhat mild compared to what the actual
had to be.

Looks like they popped out to 14th street for the shots of Salloum's
building and AG Edwards before the $#!t really hit the fan, then
retreated to the third floor of the garage for the worst of it. The
parking garage is well protected from wind by the Bank building (which
is why they chose to be there I would think).
I've been through numerous hurricanes but never tried to film one.
It'd be very difficult. Things happen so fast (something's there one
split second and gone the next) it's difficult to predict which way to
point the camera and when. Not to mention just trying to survive the
ordeal. You need to be looking every which way at once or get smacked
upside the head with a flying dumpster or something.

Joe:
When he is standing back filming out from the garage the wind
looks like a tornado more than a hurricane. 110 mph winds is nothing
compared to the way those winds looked IMO.

Maybe the video can give an idea of the average winds and what it
feels like to wait it out from a well protected perspective. After
all, the storm lasts for hours sometimes. But it can't really show the
worst of it. There's nothing like actually seeing your neighbors'
houses disintegrate or the sound of your own roof coming off or the
incessant slamming of massive debris against your walls, to really
give you an understanding of the power out there ripping your world
apart. It's practically impossible to capture on film.

Frank:
With regard to the tidal surge, my Mother-in-law's place
in Bayou view had seven feet of water in the house. She lived on
Poplar Circle

I might know her. I knew quite a few people over there. My mother
lived a few blocks away. She lost her home too, same situation from
Bayou Bernard. She says she loved living on the bayou. She just didn't
like living *in* the bayou ;-)

Frank:
Backs up to Brickyard Bayou so her flood damage a result of the
backwaters that were pushed up.

Joe:
That the whole argument in the insurance suits that the flooding was
wind related.

The argument goes: Damage from wind driven rain is covered (no
argument there). Damage from a bus, blown into a house, is covered (no
argument there either). Therefore, damage by wind driven "stuff"
should be covered whether it be wet stuff or dry stuff.

Frank:
But the declarations pages clearly state "rising water from any source
or cause"

Point being: The tidal surge was "wind driven" stuff, not "rising"
stuff ("stuff" in this sense being a technical term).
Frankly, I think the insurance companies will prevail if they stick to
their guns. This isn't the first time these semantics have been hashed
out in court. But the first major case was settled before going to
the jury. News media claimed a big win for the home owner. So that's
one down, 79,999 more to go.

I'm sympathetic, but don't see the long term
solution being turning the tort lawyers loose on the insurance
companies.

I agree. Hurricanes are survivable here. It's a matter of adjust,
adapt, and expect to be smacked now and then. Being ready and planning
ahead is not all that difficult.

Frank:
And the volunteers are still coming.

And a whole new industry has arisen known a "Voluntourism" ;-)
We love voluntourists. Bring cash OR credit cards! :-D

Rick
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:46:17 -0500, lid wrote:

Phantman:
[...]

Probably do, kind of small townish in that area. Not going to mention
her name on an unmoderated usenet forum, nor should you put your
mothers on, but more than likely they know each other.

Frank:
[...]

Yeah, I know what you mean. any influx of outside money is a good
thing.

Catholic Charities provided the "superintendents" for our crews. We
showed up fully equipped and experienced with tools and skills for
insulating, dry wall work, electrical, carpentry, etc. The Supers
were ecstatic. They could turn us loose and go babysit the college
kids that were giving up their spring breaks to help. Enthusiatic,
but needing very close supervision.

The house I worked was in Biloxi owned by an 80 year old widow. Felt
good to help her, she needed it. I could throw a stone to the house I
lived in as a kid, two blocks north of Division, at the intersection
where Hugo's used to be, Porter if memory serves. Turns out we had a
connection. Her nephew was my next door neighbor for a while and is
Godfather to one of my sons. Worked there several days before I found
that out.

Frank

Rick