posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default 3 or 4 hurricane sailboats

How many can you see ashore? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWCBUM7_Eg

Are you ready?
What have you done to get ready?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 20:22:01 -0700, Joe
wrote:

How many can you see ashore? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWCBUM7_Eg

Are you ready?
What have you done to get ready?

Joe

Brings a tear to my eye. My home port for 26 years of boat
ownership.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

How many can you see ashore? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWCBUM7_Eg

Are you ready?
What have you done to get ready?

Joe

Brings a tear to my eye. My home port for 26 years of boat
ownership.

Frank

The wind was cranking..that's for sure.
How's the town fairing these days?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I heard that all of the Mac26x's and M's survived.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

How many can you see ashore? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWCBUM7_Eg

Are you ready?
What have you done to get ready?

Joe

Brings a tear to my eye. My home port for 26 years of boat
ownership.

Frank

The wind was cranking..that's for sure.
How's the town fairing these days?

Joe

I was last down in January, and at that time, not so hot. I lived
there during the Camille recovery and the difference in recovery time
is dramatic.

Lots of issues about insurability, building codes, etc., delaying a
good bit of the reconstruction, particularly residential. Gulfport
small craft harbor, a very large harbor and the place where I kept my
boats until I sold the last one in '97, lost all piers and slips and
none are back yet.

It will eventually come, but they don't need another near term direct
hit. What they need is a pass for another 35 years like they had from
Camille to Katrina. All the little ones in between were non events.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:28:12 -0000, "Capt. Rob"
wrote:

I heard that all of the Mac26x's and M's survived.

RB
35s5
NY

In all the time I lived there, I don't think I ever laid eys on a Mac.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in news:1180970892.938267.7280
@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I heard that all of the Mac26x's and M's survived.

RB
35s5
NY

You probably heard right.

They probably DID all survive. You see, Macs are more superior than any
heavy keelboat. 1- Macs have shallow draft only a foot a foot and a half
2 - Macs can go a helluva lot faster than any heavy keelboat.
Versatility is the key, man.

These things make the Mac more superior for getting away from a
hurricane than any 35s5 Benetoe. Your boat is mince meat if a hurricane
comes along. You can't outrun it because your boat's slow to the max and
with your six-feet of draft (guessing) you can't even get way up a river
or some place safe like that. You are stuck stuck stuck. You're a stuck
schmuck! Old fashioned heavy boats got modernized when they made the
first Mac26X. It was a stoke of genius

Macs have more flexibility than any other boat They can go way up a
river or bayou and they can get there very fast using the motor. So,
every Mac in New Orleans that anybody thought was in danger was probably
moved to safety days before the hurricnae got there.

Cheerio,
Ed Gordon
http://www.egordon873.homestead.com/drug.html
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

[...]

Frank- Hide quoted text -

FN insurance goons can eat **** IMO. Always happy to take your money,
but paying out is a different story.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

[...]

Two sides to that story, Joe.

Every policy from every carrier has a flood exclusion page in which a
statement like this occurs:

"you are NOT covered from damages that occur from rising water no
matter the underlying cause of the rising water. If you are in a
federal flood zone you are required to obtain federally subsidized
flood insurance . If you are not in a flood zone, but feel you need
this insurance it is available to you. Contact your agent and you
will be advised on how to obtain this additional coverage".

On my policy this is included as a separate page in boldface type. I
think all are.

And the coverage is cheap, relatively speaking.

All of the controversy has to do with the insurance carriers
legitimately claiming that damage was done by the rising water,
something they did not cover. Those policies that had claims that
were strictly wind damage have been settled without incident. The
insurance companies have been deluged with lawsuits, primarily by
large class action lawyers looking to make a killing on the issue
(think asbestos, tobacco, and most recently indigent hospital care and
you can identify the primary law firm involved)

As a result of this situation, they are settling claims for amounts
they had not covered to stay out of court, but then pulling out of the
state. State Farm, for instance, first stopped writing any new
policies south of I-10, then pulled out of the state altogether.

So the bottom line is, there are fewer options for anyone who wants to
build back, prices are high because the potential for future lawsuits
is factored in and people cannot afford to get coverage.

So if you are an individual who had more than fifty percent of your
house destroyed, your replacement house will have to be built to new
codes and elevated which will cost far more, your not sure you can get
or afford insurance you are frozen out.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sun, 03 Jun 07, steelredcloud wrote:
How many can you see ashore? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUWCBUM7_Eg

Somehow a video just can't capture what it was like in person. Not
knockin' just this video.... I've seen quite a few and none of them
can. I guess it's better than print or a verbal rendition though.
Still, you just can't imagine without actually seeing it.

BTW, most of it was shot in downtown Gulfport, apparently from inside
the parking garage behind Hancock Bank. Some appeared to be as it was
coming ashore and the rest after it was all over. I didn't see
anything showing the worst of it and the tidal surge rolling in. Maybe
the camera guy had more important things on his mind during that
period -shrug-

Rick