posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Random breaking waves ?

Flew over Brest, Isles of Scilly, Cork, and on over the Atlantic coming home
from Spain on Wednesday . Some clouds, but no major weather; the entrance
to the English Channel looked calm, but from 32,000 feet over the Atlantic I
could see, every five or ten miles, "small" patches of white water that
endured for between 10 to 20 seconds. I've seen this before from the air,
but really don't know what to make of them, as I've never done an Atlantic
crossing in a small boat. I assume these are random breaking waves;and if I
could see them from more than 5 miles they must be rather large; what would
happen to a 40 foot boat there ?

Again , the vast majority of the ocean looked calm, and there was no storm
activity, just these scattered small patches of white water.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

barret bonden wrote:
Flew over Brest, Isles of Scilly, Cork, and on over the Atlantic coming home
from Spain on Wednesday . Some clouds, but no major weather; the entrance
to the English Channel looked calm, but from 32,000 feet over the Atlantic I
could see, every five or ten miles, "small" patches of white water that
endured for between 10 to 20 seconds. I've seen this before from the air,
but really don't know what to make of them, as I've never done an Atlantic
crossing in a small boat. I assume these are random breaking waves;and if I
could see them from more than 5 miles they must be rather large; what would
happen to a 40 foot boat there ?

Again , the vast majority of the ocean looked calm, and there was no storm
activity, just these scattered small patches of white water.

Sure you weren't looking at fog patches?
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 2, 7:04 am, "barret bonden" wrote:
Flew over Brest, Isles of Scilly, Cork, and on over the Atlantic coming home
from Spain on Wednesday . Some clouds, but no major weather; the entrance
to the English Channel looked calm, but from 32,000 feet over the Atlantic I
could see, every five or ten miles, "small" patches of white water that
endured for between 10 to 20 seconds. I've seen this before from the air,
but really don't know what to make of them, as I've never done an Atlantic
crossing in a small boat. I assume these are random breaking waves;and if I
could see them from more than 5 miles they must be rather large; what would
happen to a 40 foot boat there ?

Again , the vast majority of the ocean looked calm, and there was no storm
activity, just these scattered small patches of white water.

Could be shallow spots .

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

There are a number of 'shallow' spots out in the Atlantic where underwater
mountains exist but 'shallow' is a relative term and you would be looking at
depths of say 90 metres where the local average would be about 1500 metres.
In really bad weather these might show but in weather where the majority of
the ocean was free of white waves I would be more inclined to attribute
these white patches to local variations in wind velocity

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 2, 2:15 pm, Jeff wrote:
* Joe wrote, On 6/2/2007 10:48 AM:

On Jun 2, 7:04 am, "barret bonden" wrote:
Flew over Brest, Isles of Scilly, Cork, and on over the Atlantic coming home
from Spain on Wednesday . Some clouds, but no major weather; the entrance
to the English Channel looked calm, but from 32,000 feet over the Atlantic I
could see, every five or ten miles, "small" patches of white water that
endured for between 10 to 20 seconds. I've seen this before from the air,
but really don't know what to make of them, as I've never done an Atlantic
crossing in a small boat. I assume these are random breaking waves;and if I
could see them from more than 5 miles they must be rather large; what would
happen to a 40 foot boat there ?

Again , the vast majority of the ocean looked calm, and there was no storm
activity, just these scattered small patches of white water.

Could be shallow spots .

Could be whales.- Hide quoted text -

Could also be huge schools of herring.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Surely not fog patches; the sky was clear for hundreds of miles. A few
minutes prior I watched a freighter of perhaps 200 feet enter the English
Channel off the coast of France; his wake was clear - my point being you can
get a sense of what you're looking at. No, these were distinct small
patches of white water. Given the speed of the plane you can estimate
distance by time of course; I wish I could add to this; I can only say
again the patches of white water were about 5 to 10 miles apart, looked,
from that distance miniscule , and all lasted much less than a minute. On
another flight some years ago I saw a line that I timed for over a minute,
and that I would bet was a breaking wave- my concern here is that the sea
looked calm , such that I could tell, but if you were in a small boat where
those patches were you'd not be having fun

Someone at uk.rec.sailing suggested this:
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PubServices/Muller_

"katy" wrote in message
barret bonden wrote:
Flew over Brest, Isles of Scilly, Cork, and on over the Atlantic coming
home from Spain on Wednesday . Some clouds, but no major weather; the
entrance to the English Channel looked calm, but from 32,000 feet over
the Atlantic I could see, every five or ten miles, "small" patches of
white water that endured for between 10 to 20 seconds. I've seen this
before from the air, but really don't know what to make of them, as I've
never done an Atlantic crossing in a small boat. I assume these are
random breaking waves;and if I could see them from more than 5 miles
they must be rather large; what would happen to a 40 foot boat there ?

Again , the vast majority of the ocean looked calm, and there was no
storm activity, just these scattered small patches of white water.

Sure you weren't looking at fog patches?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

"katy" wrote in message

barret bonden wrote:
Flew over Brest, Isles of Scilly, Cork, and on over the Atlantic coming
home from Spain on Wednesday . Some clouds, but no major weather; the
entrance to the English Channel looked calm, but from 32,000 feet over
the Atlantic I could see, every five or ten miles, "small" patches of
white water that endured for between 10 to 20 seconds. I've seen this
before from the air, but really don't know what to make of them, as I've
never done an Atlantic crossing in a small boat. I assume these are
random breaking waves;and if I could see them from more than 5 miles
they must be rather large; what would happen to a 40 foot boat there ?

Again , the vast majority of the ocean looked calm, and there was no
storm activity, just these scattered small patches of white water.

Sure you weren't looking at fog patches?- Hide quoted text -

http://www.acoustics.washington.edu/...tka/school.jpg

breaking surface due to swordfish

joe

Can I Use Porter-Cable Random Orbital Polisher As a Sander? [email protected] Boat Building 10 May 1st 06 06:53 PM
Mayday off coast of Mexico-rescued from catamaran Mic Cruising 78 February 8th 06 05:53 PM
Para anchors dont work in breaking waves Michael Cruising 30 August 8th 04 04:06 AM
Rogue Waves - Reuters Bob Crantz ASA 12 July 27th 04 12:45 AM
Monster waves Rick ASA 58 December 6th 03 12:20 AM