posted to rec.boats.building

Default Can I Use Porter-Cable Random Orbital Polisher As a Sander?

I am interested in a Porter-Cable random orbital 6" polisher 7424 (6
speeds). By switching the 6" backing pad with a 13700 5" sanding pad,
I can convert it into a 5" random orbital sander. By the look of its
picture with the sanding pad, it surely looks just like any other angle
sander. I am wondering whether I can use it to sand down a fiberglass
skin to taper its edge. Any idea?

Let me explain what I am trying to use the sander for:
I am going to lift the fiberglass skin of a deck, and then replace
the core material. After this, I need to put the fiberglass skin back
in place, and I am supposed to use fiberglass cloth and epoxy to bridge
the cut on the fiberglass skin. I need to sand and taper the two edges
along the cut in order to level the patch with the rest of the
fiberglass skin, and that is what I intend to use the sander for.

Of course, I also want to use it as a random orbital polisher. I just
want to know if I can also use it as a sander in the way that I have
described above.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

posted to rec.boats.building
Richard J Kinch

Of course, I also want to use it as a random orbital polisher. I just
want to know if I can also use it as a sander in the way that I have
described above.

Sanding takes a lot more torque than polishing. Maybe it will stall too
easily, or won't keep the random pattern?

There are random orbital sanders, of course. High-horsepower gadgets.
posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

If you have shop air, then a random orbital sander is very cheap. They work
great, but they need a pretty good sized compressor.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

.. .

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Of course, I also want to use it as a random orbital polisher. I just
want to know if I can also use it as a sander in the way that I have
described above.

Sanding takes a lot more torque than polishing. Maybe it will stall too
easily, or won't keep the random pattern?

There are random orbital sanders, of course. High-horsepower gadgets.

According to the manufacturer instruction for Porter-Cable 7424
polisher, it is designed for both polishing and sanding. Moreover, the
spec of this polisher (such as amp) is identical to the spec of their
very similar sander/polisher (7336SP). Please see the spec shown he
http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2804
Therefore, I am confident that it should be able to be used as a
sander. The only thing that I want to know is whether I can use it to
bevel a tapered edge alone the edge of a fiberglass skin.

Having said that, I have decided to choose Porter-Cable 7336SP instead
of 7424. The 7336SP comes with both polishing gears and sanding gears
in one package. And its sanding pad is 6" (instead of just 5" if I
convert 7424 into a sander). And the price is the same as the combo of
7424 plus the sanding pad. Thanks for questioning me about the 7424.
This leaded me into looking for the spec of 7424, and this in turn
leaded me to find 7336SP that is a better deal anyway.

Jay Chan

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

The Porter-Cable 7224 looks like a Porter-Cable 7336 with a different pad.
Same amps, same rpm's. That series (733x) comes with both 5" and 6" pads,
both PSA and Hook&loop. I have both and use the 6" more in my work. YMMV.
There's a counterweight that's calibrated to the weight of the pad, so
you'll have to change that, too.

As useful as thePorter-Cable random-orbit sander is, it's probably not going
to be effective at grinding teh bevel in your glass deck skins. For that
job, a low-cost choice would be a 4-1/2" mini-grinder such as the
Porter-Cable #7430 with a #36 disc. Wear protective gear.

You will want the R-O sander for cleaning up your skins and for subsequent
finishing.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Please explain the reason why you think the 7424 random-orbit sander is
not a good tool for beveling a tapered edge along the edge of a
fiberglass skin. I am not questioning you; I know that you must have a
lot of experience about this. I am asking this just trying to figure
out which features of a sander that work for beveling and which don't.

I already have a low cost angle-grinder. But I have a feeling that it
is a bit aggressive for fiberglass skin. People who have the right
touch probably can use it just fine. I probably will do more damage
than good using it. Therefore, I am looking for a sander that comes
with a pad.

Jay Chan

Jim Conlin wrote:
The Porter-Cable 7224 looks like a Porter-Cable 7336 with a different pad.
Same amps, same rpm's. That series (733x) comes with both 5" and 6" pads,
both PSA and Hook&loop. I have both and use the 6" more in my work. YMMV.
There's a counterweight that's calibrated to the weight of the pad, so
you'll have to change that, too.

As useful as thePorter-Cable random-orbit sander is, it's probably not going
to be effective at grinding teh bevel in your glass deck skins. For that
job, a low-cost choice would be a 4-1/2" mini-grinder such as the
Porter-Cable #7430 with a #36 disc. Wear protective gear.

You will want the R-O sander for cleaning up your skins and for subsequent
finishing.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The sanding discs for that tool are of middling light paper(D or E wt.) and
available from maybe 60 grit up. The pad is a firm sponge. The #60 will
take forever to shape a bevel and the sharp edge of a glass skin will tear
up the paper and the pad. Use as fine a grit as you like on the minigrinder
and be careful.. It doesn't need to be pretty. You'll be adding glass back
into the bevels.
You will need the RO sander, but not for this.

oups.com...

Jim Conlin wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I see. This means if I use a random orbital sander to sand the bevel
edge, I may risk damaging the sanding pad, and I will take a long time
to get the job done.

If I use an angle grinder with 36-grit fiber disc (that I assume has
some give), I may find that it may not sand as aggressive as I
originally thought -- I thought it was being used like it had a metal
cutting wheel; that's why I said it might sand too aggressive; I didn't
know that I can put a fiber disc on it.

This sounds good. I already has an angle grinder, I just need to get
the 36-grit fiber disc to find out if it is the right tool.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate that.

Jay Chan

Jim Conlin wrote:
The sanding discs for that tool are of middling light paper(D or E wt.) and
available from maybe 60 grit up. The pad is a firm sponge. The #60 will
take forever to shape a bevel and the sharp edge of a glass skin will tear
up the paper and the pad. Use as fine a grit as you like on the minigrinder
and be careful.. It doesn't need to be pretty. You'll be adding glass back
into the bevels.
You will need the RO sander, but not for this.

oups.com...

Jim Conlin wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Get several. They're a buck or so. Start with a fine one and escalate as
you feel more aggressive..

oups.com...

Jim Conlin wrote:
The sanding discs for that tool are of middling light paper(D or E wt.)

and
available from maybe 60 grit up. The pad is a firm sponge. The #60

will
take forever to shape a bevel and the sharp edge of a glass skin will

tear
up the paper and the pad. Use as fine a grit as you like on the

minigrinder
and be careful.. It doesn't need to be pretty. You'll be adding glass

back
into the bevels.
You will need the RO sander, but not for this.

oups.com...

Jim Conlin wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

bowgus

I tried using a polisher with rubbing compound ... it didn't last long.
The heavier 2 speed works, and works, and works.