posted to alt.sailing.asa
barret bonden barret bonden is offline

Default Random breaking waves ?

Flew over Brest, Isles of Scilly, Cork, and on over the Atlantic coming home
from Spain on Wednesday . Some clouds, but no major weather; the entrance
to the English Channel looked calm, but from 32,000 feet over the Atlantic I
could see, every five or ten miles, "small" patches of white water that
endured for between 10 to 20 seconds. I've seen this before from the air,
but really don't know what to make of them, as I've never done an Atlantic
crossing in a small boat. I assume these are random breaking waves;and if I
could see them from more than 5 miles they must be rather large; what would
happen to a 40 foot boat there ?

Again , the vast majority of the ocean looked calm, and there was no storm
activity, just these scattered small patches of white water.