posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Is uncoated fiberglass affected by UV?

wrote in message
oups.com...

Maprop wrote:
I'll bet you're absolutely a stitch at a party. .....
... Most likely you sit and home with the inflatable doll, telling "her"
all
about how the rest of the world is stupid. And of course her response
is:
"hisssssssssssss."

Don't you have anything better to do than to sit around & pontificate
on the shortcomings of the former Crapton?

Why, yes I do. I have a boat to prepare for recommissioning. I have
several new songs to learn and rehearse before the next band practice. The
garage could use some exterior paint, and the yard has a few limbs scattered
around . . . .

Um, were you really interested in my goings on, or were you just making
chitchat?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
In article ,
Milton Waddams wrote:
Does uncoated fiberglass lose it's strength with long term
exposure to
UV light? Should I cover it with paint or gelcoat? This is some
wooden
thing I built and coated with cloth and resin. Thanks all,

Milton

Yes, you need to cover it. Fiberglass does degrade with UV
exposure. That's why you cover it.

Sorry Ganz, but fiberglass does NOT degrade because of UV exposure.
Glass is proof against UV. It's not the glass that's the problem.
It's the resin that binds the glass. Perhaps if you had not
consumed mass quantities of illegal drugs you would be able to
demonstrate clear thinking once in a while.

"Fiberglass" is synonymous with 'fiber-reinforced resin.' Jon was
referring to the composite structure, of which a significant part is
the resin. He wasn't wrong, and you are a pedantic jerk.

Ganz was definitely wrong and you are wrong as well. Fiberglass is
the glass fiber.

Really. So all that corporate boat advertising literature stating
their boats are built of "fiberglass" is wrong by your decree? And
www.yachtworld.com is also wrong when using the symbol 'F' for
construction material when referring to the boats in their listings?
And the ski industry was wrong for advertising "fiberglass"
construction?

Is that so hard to understand? GRP stands for glass reinforced
plastic.

Ask almost anyone what his FRP or GRP boat is made of and I'll bet
you'll hear "fiberglass." Most folks aren't as pedantic as thou. Or
as jerky.

The resin is the plastic. Saying fiberglass, which is only the glass,
is affected by UV is simple-minded.

Saying "fiberglass" is convention. You are the soldier out of step
with the rest of the battalion.

It demonstrates your ignorance. It's the resin that's degraded by UV
and not the glass.

I'm aware of that. It's your ignorance that fails to recognize that
conventional speech transcends technical details in all walks of life.
The vast majority of people who own fiberglass boats aren't engineers
or scientists. Fiberglass is the commonly-used term, not GRP. But to
make my point, an engineer in our marina told me last summer that he
wished he could afford an aluminum boat in lieu of his "fiberglass"
one.

Waddams is ignorant of the proper terminology and so is Ganz and so
are you apparently. Here is the dictionary definition of fiberglass.

fi•ber•glass \-'glas\ n : glass in fibrous form used in making
various products (as insulation)

Now, run along little illiterate.

I'll bet you're absolutely a stitch at a party. Of course I doubt if
you still get invited to any, if your pedantic outlook on everything
pervades your social intercourse with others. You, no doubt, are the
guy others tend to ignore, or talk about behind your back: "That Neal
Warren is such an asshole--always spouting off about how everyone is
wrong and he's right . . ." Most likely you sit and home with the
inflatable doll, telling "her" all about how the rest of the world is
stupid. And of course her response is: "hisssssssssssss."

So, for you, it all boils down to not caring about what's right and
what's precise because you'd rather "fit in" with a group of inferior,
lazy and stupid people who demonstrate their sloth and ignorance daily
by virtue of the fact they choose to misuse the tool of language rather
than distinguish themselves by the adroit use of the proper tool? No
finesse. Just grab the same big hammer for every job, no matter how
delicate, and bash away. Embrace having no concept of using the right
tool for the job. Grab and abuse whatever the fool next you happens to
be abusing. Monkey see, monkey do! You would just as soon follow the
ignorant masses than separate yourself from them by virtue of your
superior intellect. That's totally horrendous. Take God's gifts and
trample them under foot.

To make matters worse, you then misdirect your energy attacking people
who do care enough to learn how to employ the proper tool for the job.
Yes sir! Resort to that old liberal standard of name-calling. That
really makes your case and shows your superiority. Shame on you!

Here's some good free advice. Stop worrying about what other people
think about you. Stop abasing yourself by peering with the lowest common
denominator. Distinguish yourself and get over the fact that a bunch of
morons who don't have any significance may not be comfortable with it.

I hope this helps.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote
fi·ber·glass \-'glas\ n : glass in fibrous form used in making
various
products (as insulation)

2- a structure or product of laminated composite using silica filament
(glass in fibrous form) in a plastic resin.

If your dictionary doesn't include the second definition, then you
should throw it away & go buy a real dictionary.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/fibreglass

"Fiberglass or glassfibre is material made from extremely fine fibers
of glass. It is used as a reinforcing agent for many polymer products;
the resulting composite material, properly known as fiber-reinforced
polymer (FRP) or glass-reinforced plastic (GRP), is called
"fiberglass" in popular usage.

Glassmakers throughout history have experimented with glass fibers,
but mass manufacture of fiberglass was only made possible with the
advent of finer machine-tooling. In 1893, Edward Drummond Libbey
exhibited a dress at the World's Columbian Exposition incorporating
glass fibers with the diameter and texture of silk fibers. What is
commonly known as "fiberglass" today, however, was invented in 1938 by
Russell Games Slayter of Owens-Corning as a material to be used as
insulation. It is marketed under the trade name Fiberglas (sic), which
has become a genericized trademark."
snip

Has it escaped everyone's notice that the first definition is the
preferred definition? The second definition came along later by virtue
of the fact too many ignorant people misused the first. The more
definitions we allow a given word to be burdened with, the less precise
the language becomes. The less precise the language, the more ignorant
the population and the circle of stupidity becomes larger and larger
until it is all encompassing. Have a care for the seemingly
inconsequential lest the consequences destroy you.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Milton Waddams wrote:
Does uncoated fiberglass lose it's strength with long term exposure to
UV light? Should I cover it with paint or gelcoat? This is some wooden
thing I built and coated with cloth and resin. Thanks all,

Milton

Yes, you need to cover it. Fiberglass does degrade with UV
exposure. That's why you cover it.

Sorry Ganz, but fiberglass does NOT degrade because of UV exposure. Glass
is proof against UV. It's not the glass that's the problem. It's the resin
that binds the glass. Perhaps if you had not consumed mass quantities of
illegal drugs you would be able to demonstrate clear thinking once in a
while.

Wilbur Hubbard

The glass in fiberglass is affected by UV exposure.

RJ

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:36:22 GMT, "Maxprop"
said:

What he lacks in diplomacy, he makes up
for in pedantry and self-righteousness.

I've seen that often among those with limited education like Neal.
They
seize on some simple proposition that might have some validity in some
context, decide it ranks in importance with the discovery of gravity,
and
start preaching it like a Mormon missionary in Times Square, thinking
it
will bathe them in glory.

Sad.

Sadder that a lawyer announces in public his religious bigotry! I'm
surprised you didn't use the term Mormon missionary in Hymietown. You're
a likely candidate for disbarment. What a self-righteous asshole!

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

said:

What he lacks in diplomacy, he makes up
for in pedantry and self-righteousness.

I've seen that often among those with limited education like Neal.
They
seize on some simple proposition that might have some validity in some
context, decide it ranks in importance with the discovery of gravity,
and
start preaching it like a Mormon missionary in Times Square, thinking
it
will bathe them in glory.

Sad.

Sadder that a lawyer announces in public his religious bigotry! I'm
surprised you didn't use the term Mormon missionary in Hymietown. You're
a likely candidate for disbarment. What a self-righteous asshole!

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

What's sadder is when Daddy spends 350K to send Jr to Harvard and he
grows up as BB.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:36:22 GMT, "Maxprop" said:

What he lacks in diplomacy, he makes up
for in pedantry and self-righteousness.

I've seen that often among those with limited education like Neal. They
seize on some simple proposition that might have some validity in some
context, decide it ranks in importance with the discovery of gravity, and
start preaching it like a Mormon missionary in Times Square, thinking it
will bathe them in glory.

Sad.

Searching for that proverbial 15 minutes of fame, or in Neal's case 15
nanoseconds.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

link.net...

Milton Waddams wrote:
[...]

right . . ." Most likely you sit and home with the inflatable doll,
telling "her" all about how the rest of the world is stupid. And of
course her response is: "hisssssssssssss."

So, for you, it all boils down to not caring about what's right and what's
precise because you'd rather "fit in" with a group of inferior, lazy and
stupid people who demonstrate their sloth and ignorance daily by virtue of
the fact they choose to misuse the tool of language rather than
distinguish themselves by the adroit use of the proper tool?

Actually, Neal, it's such a small and insignificant item as to be irrelevant
on the overall scheme of things. That you've blown it entirely out of
proportion has nothing to do with me.

No finesse. Just grab the same big hammer for every job, no matter how
delicate, and bash away. Embrace having no concept of using the right tool
for the job.

Oh, jeeze, now you've gone and done it. BB will be on his Whitworth podium
for the next twenty posts.

Grab and abuse whatever the fool next you happens to be abusing. Monkey
see, monkey do! You would just as soon follow the ignorant masses than
separate yourself from them by virtue of your superior intellect. That's
totally horrendous. Take God's gifts and trample them under foot.

I see it this way: a friend's wife preparing dinner asks me if I want some
'mango' in my salad. I know that this gracious lady and her family have
consistently referred to green peppers as mangos throughout their lives. As
I like green peppers, I answer affirmative, expecting a green pepper in my
salad, not a tropical fruit. I could correct this lady, but then too many
corrections and they may not invite me to dinner any more, or perhaps even
be my friends. And over what? Such a pointless thing as an insigificant
definition? The most important things in my life are the people I love and
my friends. I'll surrender every God-given gift I have in order to keep
them a part of me.

To make matters worse, you then misdirect your energy attacking people who
do care enough to learn how to employ the proper tool for the job. Yes
sir! Resort to that old liberal standard of name-calling. That really
makes your case and shows your superiority. Shame on you!

I stand rebuked. You are correct. My ad hominem attacks do bear the
unmistakable stamp of liberalism. But then I was a liberal for the years
between 15 and 40, and old habits are hard to break. I'll try to do better.

Here's some good free advice. Stop worrying about what other people think
about you. Stop abasing yourself by peering with the lowest common
denominator. Distinguish yourself and get over the fact that a bunch of
morons who don't have any significance may not be comfortable with it.

I regret you are unable to feel confident in your knowledge and intelligence
without shoving in the face of others at their expense. What you lack is
wisdom.

I hope this helps.

I would hope it helps you.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in

The last time Neal got laid without cash changing hands

was during the
Eisenhower administration.

yeah but she dropped the charges, couldn't take the
embarrassment.