posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN'S BOOK, WANDERER

A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN'S BOOK, WANDERER

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm
foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine
traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at
sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the
wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are
contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture
until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is
all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can't afford
it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in
the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security
we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know
it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day,
heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working
activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in
the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our
economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time
payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our
attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie
caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb
is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy
of purse or bankruptcy of life?

- Sterling Hayden (Wanderer, 1973)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

A most brilliant and grounded man, he. Here is the nub: "But we are
brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a
pyramid of time
payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our
attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade."

No "we" are not. Only the great majority. Be honest. Ask yourself do you
have time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry and playthings that
divert your attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade? If anybody
but myself answers negative on all the above then he is a liar. I'm
willing to wager that I am the only asa subscriber who has and never has
had time payments, has and never has had a mortgage in his entire life.
Unlike ALL you people, I have never been, am not now, and never shall be
a slave to the economic system. My life is my own, all my own. I count
myself the superior of Sterling Hayden. What he did as a diversion, I
have done as a life. You people worship and gush all over the sentiments
of a Sterling Hayden because you don't have the intestinal fortitude to
do anything but remain a brainwashed slave to the economic system buried
in a grave of your own making. What you call comfort men like myself
call prison. Sterling Hayden sold his book to wannabes who would never
be an they knew it full well. People who only dream because they lack
the guts to do.

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

* Bart wrote, On 3/3/2007 5:37 PM:
A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN'S BOOK, WANDERER

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy
of purse or bankruptcy of life?

- Sterling Hayden (Wanderer, 1973)

"But today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have
neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic
thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration,
Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international
Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily
fluids." - Sterling Hayden (as General Jack D Ripper)
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 3, 4:37 pm, "Bart" wrote:
[...]

Hey Bart;

Where have you been?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Great book... I read a couple of his.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

This is a drunken sailor rehash of Henry David Thoreau. Unfortunately Hayden
did not walk the talk. He left a lot of human wreckage in his wake, was a
communist and all his blather was simply to justify all the wrongs he did in
his life.

For a clean version of this philosophy read Thoreau. He lived it and applied
it to his life in a consistent manner. His actions were derived froma
philosophy with a true goal in mind. His actions were not driven by external
events, as was Hayden's.

Hayden is swimming in flouridated lava, Thoreau is in the kingdom of heaven

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food

each day,
heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in -

the love of a good woman?

No "we" are not. Only the great majority. Be honest. Ask

yourself do you
have time payments,

NO

mortgages,

NO

preposterous gadgetry and playthings that
divert your attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade?

I have a sailboat.

If anybody
but myself answers negative on all the above then he is a

liar. I'm
willing to wager that I am the only asa subscriber who has

and never has
had time payments, has and never has had a mortgage in his

entire life.

And I'm willing to wager that you've never been and never
will be married and/or had children.

Unlike ALL you people, I have never been, am not now, and

never shall be
married. My life is lonely, all lonely. I count the hours

by
myself . What I did as a diversion, is post on ASA .

Oiy!

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food

each day,
heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in -

the love of a good woman?

That's a woman thing. Any man who believes in that crap is pussy
whipped. Real men might desire the love of several good women but
limiting yourself to one woman shows you wish to be a slave, wish to
have a boring life, wish to eat the same old boring meal day after day
after day after day.

I have a sailboat.

That's a step in the right direction. Now, you need to get a decent
sailboat. That Seidelmann of yours is a passable starter boat only.
Perhaps it's time to move up. The only way you could move down is if you
bought a MacGregor 26.

And I'm willing to wager that you've never been and never
will be married and/or had children.

You would lose the bet. I've been there, done that. It was a total waste
of several years of my life. You're right about the "never will be" part
provided you type it as "never will be again." But what has that got to
do with time payments? Put the friggin' fat lazy wife to work. Don't buy
things you cannot afford. Neither a borrower nor lender be. If the wife
nags you for this and that but doesn't work for it then she's nothing
but a millstone around your neck. Time to re-think your options. What
she's got between her legs isn't worth becoming a slave over. Being a
satisfied slave at the behest of one woman is delusional. It shows ya
got no guts, boy!

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote

the love of a good woman?

That's a woman thing.

That is my preference. And you?

wish to eat the same old boring meal day after day
after day after day.

Tonight I dined on Hot Dogs and Baked beans. Hadn't had that
for a month or more.

You would lose the bet. I've been there, done that. It was

a total waste
of several years of my life.

Ahh, well, this would explain your attitude then.

But what has that got to
do with time payments?

nothinhg. I already told you I have no 'time payments'.

Put the friggin' fat lazy wife to work. Don't buy
things you cannot afford. Neither a borrower nor lender

be. If the wife
nags you for this and that but doesn't work for it then

she's nothing
but a millstone around your neck. Time to re-think your

options. What
she's got between her legs isn't worth becoming a slave

over. Being a
satisfied slave at the behest of one woman is delusional.

It shows ya
got no guts, boy!

You've got it ass backwards, my wife works, she makes more
than I do, plus she cooks, cleans and does all that other
wifey stuff.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
You've got it ass backwards, my wife works, she makes more
than I do, plus she cooks, cleans and does all that other
wifey stuff.

Your wife makes more than you do? Doesn't that make you feel inadequate?
The man's supposed to be the provider and wear the pants in the house.
Tell me you're not one of those limp-wristed types.
Bwaaahahahahahahahahahaha!

Wilbur Hubbard