posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN'S BOOK, WANDERER

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
You've got it ass backwards, my wife works, she makes

more
than I do, plus she cooks, cleans and does all that

other
wifey stuff.

Your wife makes more than you do? Doesn't that make you

feel inadequate?

Nope.

The man's supposed to be the provider and wear the pants

in the house.

I don't wear pants in my house.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message ...

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
You've got it ass backwards, my wife works, she makes

more
than I do, plus she cooks, cleans and does all that

other
wifey stuff.

Your wife makes more than you do? Doesn't that make you

feel inadequate?

Nope.

The man's supposed to be the provider and wear the pants

in the house.

I don't wear pants in my house.

Must you gay up every post?

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message

I don't wear pants in my house.

TMI.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN'S BOOK, WANDERER

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm
foundation of financial unrest.

Pure malarkey.

Bart would sail with a skipper whos said, "I couldn't afford to outfit
this boat properly so I bought the cheapest stuff I could find" ??
Would you sail with a skipper who said "We are sailing tonight
whatever the tide & weather because I have to dodge some sheriffs" ??

No.

Fiscal responsibility is one facet of being a responsible adult in
other aspects.

"I've always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can't afford
it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in
the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security
we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know
it our lives are gone.

I could agree with this.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day,

Less

Besides, water is more important.

heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working
activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in
the material sense, and we know it.

I guess the difference between the 1930s and 1940s, with the
comparatively low level of advertising and consumerism, are as
different from the 1960s and the 1960s are from now. Except that
during the 1960s and '70s, credit wasn't as easy and there was a
backlash against the hucksters.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:
........ Ask yourself do you
have time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry and playthings that
divert your attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade?

Other than the boat(s) you mean?

.... If anybody
but myself answers negative on all the above then he is a liar.

That's right, pat yourself on the back.

..... I'm
willing to wager that I am the only asa subscriber who has and never has
had time payments, has and never has had a mortgage in his entire life.

So what? What si the point of *never* utilizing credit? That would be
every bit as stupid as *always* using credit.

There are times when it is cheaper to borrow than to pay cash.

..... My life is my own, all my own.

That's great. Pat yourself on the back some more.

I count
myself the superior of Sterling Hayden.

Maybe, but he wouldn't agree.

h..... You people worship and gush all over the sentiments
of a Sterling Hayden

Actually, many of "us" don't.

Sterling Hayden was a braggart and a blusterer, a poor father and a
worse businessman. He knew how to sail the old fashioned way but never
learned anything new. He also ruined two very nice schooners.

If you look further in Heyden's book, he talks about how he bought his
second schooner on credit; so he was false to his own principles (and
that wasn't the only time). If you want to worship hypocrisy, go right
ahead.

Heyden was a fine schooner sailor when young and I don't blame him for
trying to recapture that. His book "Wanderer" is basically an attempt
to spin a romantic adventure out his fleeing legal and financial
troubles caused by his own irresponsibility. However the best & most
honest part of the book is the earlier chapters where he talks about
the great schooner races. Now that is an experience to brag about!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

A QUOTE FROM STERLING HAYDEN'S BOOK, WANDERER

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm
foundation of financial unrest.

O baloney.
C'mon Bart, would you set of an a major cruise with a guy who said "We
have to leave tonight, whatever the tide or weather, I am fleeing the
sheriffs"? Would you sail with a skipper who said "I couldn't afford
to outfit the boat properly so I skipped many things and bought cheap
junk for the rest"??

I wouldn't and I doubt you would either.

...... Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the
wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in.

Sounds romantic, but one should beware the spoiled child (whatever his
age may be) who tries to make a virtue out of being selfish & short-
sighted; and demanding that everybody around him pay the price of his
indulgences.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day,

Less.
Water is more important.

heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working
activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in
the material sense, and we know it.

There is also such a thing as providing security for your family.

But we are brainwashed by our
economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time
payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our
attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

Yep
Easy to avoid though. It's called "do the math" and at one time was
fairly popular.

Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:
..... Ask yourself do you
have time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry and playthings that
divert your attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade? If anybody
but myself answers negative on all the above then he is a liar.

Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

I'm
willing to wager that I am the only asa subscriber who has and never has
had time payments, has and never has had a mortgage in his entire life.

??
So? Bragging that you *never* use credit is every bit as stupid and
bragging that you *always* use credit. Time payments, mortgages, all
forms of credit, are a financial tool that can be used sensibly.

Would you respect a man who proclaimed himself an expert mechanic,
then scornfully said "I *never* use a ratchet drive, that is for wimps
& fools."

Unlike ALL you people, I have never been, am not now, and never shall be
a slave to the economic system.

Unless you have a very odd definition, very few other ASA'ers are
"slaves to the economic system."

.... Sterling Hayden sold his book to wannabes who would never
be an they knew it full well.

Sterling Hayden's book 'Wanderer' is an attempt to spin a romantic
adventure out of his fleeing the law & financial troubles that he
brought on himself. The early parts where he talks about the great
schooner races are the best & most honest parts of the book.

A great experience, but thirty years later he had learned nothing
further about sailing & proclaimed that he had nothing more to learn.
An example I prefer to not follow, although I envy his early
experiences.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:
........ Ask yourself do you
have time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry and playthings
that
divert your attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade?

Other than the boat(s) you mean?

For some of us boats are anything but playthings and diversions. For
some of us boats are a way of life. But, I don't suppose you'd know
about that.

.... If anybody
but myself answers negative on all the above then he is a liar.

That's right, pat yourself on the back.

Not only am I right but I am a realist enough to know it.

..... I'm
willing to wager that I am the only asa subscriber who has and never
has
had time payments, has and never has had a mortgage in his entire
life.

So what? What si the point of *never* utilizing credit? That would be
every bit as stupid as *always* using credit.

The point is you don't need credit. It's just another way to spend above
your means. More importantly, as Hayden points out, it's a way to be
trapped by the system. It's a method of slavery.

There are times when it is cheaper to borrow than to pay cash.

It is NEVER cheaper to borrow than to pay cash. If you can manage to
borrow without usury then it's even steven. But who borrows without
usury these days?

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com..
..

Fiscal responsibility is one facet of being a responsible

adult in
other aspects.

'responsible' and 'adult'...two words that have never been
used to characterize 'Wilbur'.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message news:la3Hh.17150

The point is you don't need credit. It's just another way

to spend above
your means. More importantly, as Hayden points out, it's a

way to be
trapped by the system. It's a method of slavery.

If you know what you're doing, one can make money with good
credit. Obviously this leaves you out.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:
It is NEVER cheaper to borrow than to pay cash.

Malarkey.

If I have $X invested in a bond fund that is earning 8% interest (and
helping businesses produce goods & services, providing employment etc
etc); and I can borrow $X at 6% interest, then I would be stupid to
cash in bonds to buy anything.

Better yet, if I can borrow money interest free, such as on a credit
card which will be paid in full at the end of the month, then I can
leav money in my interest-bearing checking account longer and gain
more interest accrued to me.

That's not to mention the use of credit to acquire capital goods for
production of wealth at a higher rate than the interest charged.

If it were not for the *intelligent* use of credit, we would still be
living in caves or perhaps thatched huts.

..... But who borrows without
usury these days?

You're confused.

1- interest rates are near historic lows.

2- usury is the charging of excess interest, it has nothing to do
with the borrower.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
message news:la3Hh.17150

The point is you don't need credit. It's just another way

to spend above
your means. More importantly, as Hayden points out, it's a

way to be
trapped by the system. It's a method of slavery.

If you know what you're doing, one can make money with good
credit. Obviously this leaves you out.

Ha ha ha ha! You can, indeed, make money with good credit and bad credit
for that matter. That's why credit card companies are as rich as they
are. They didn't get that rich by borrowing money. They got that rich by
lending money. Kinda shows how ignorant you are. Not to mention how
unobservant. Look around you. Every big bank building you see, every big
insurance complex you see, every big credit card center you see got that
way from lending. If you could get so rich from borrowing, those
companies would be borrowing from you and paying you outrageous interest
payments.

You're a sucker and a dumb one at that. People justify borrowing and
jump though hoops trying to justify it but I can shoot down each and
every one of their fallacious arguments just like I just shot down
yours. The next thing you'll be telling me is how fabulous an investment
a house is. Believe me a house NEVER can return more than you paid for
it provided you add up all the expenses, inflation of currency and
taxes.

Wilbur Hubbard