posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Anchor Chain

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:01:57 -0500, Milton Waddams wrote
(in article ):

What is the best way to tie off the anchor chain in the chain locker?
Should it just be left free? I am reluctant to run a large bolt
throught the last link because I don't want it ripping through the
deck. It would be nice to have something easy to disengage rather than
something real permanent. Any suggestions? As always, thanks.

Milton

What is the point of an anchor if it is not "anchored" to the boat? It has
been my experience to snub the chain @ 10' from the bitter end with an
appropriate line or chain to the boat. Have you ever tried to add chain to an
already tight bitter end?

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
What is the point of an anchor if it is not "anchored" to the boat? It
has
been my experience to snub the chain @ 10' from the bitter end with an
appropriate line or chain to the boat. Have you ever tried to add
chain to an
already tight bitter end?

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

A bully and an ass and an IMBECILE! Why in the world would anybody want
to add more chain? You have what you need. There's no need to add an
extra length as an afterthought. What you said is about as stupid as
saying maybe you should cleat off your jib halyard ten feet from the
bitter end. That way you can easily tie an extra length of sheet onto
the bitter end. What earthly use would that be?

Harry Harris

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:00:04 -0500, Harry Harris wrote
(in article ):

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
What is the point of an anchor if it is not "anchored" to the boat? It
has
been my experience to snub the chain @ 10' from the bitter end with an
appropriate line or chain to the boat. Have you ever tried to add
chain to an
already tight bitter end?

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

A bully and an ass and an IMBECILE! Why in the world would anybody want
to add more chain? You have what you need. There's no need to add an
extra length as an afterthought. What you said is about as stupid as
saying maybe you should cleat off your jib halyard ten feet from the
bitter end. That way you can easily tie an extra length of sheet onto
the bitter end. What earthly use would that be?

Harry Harris

On my boat I keep 100 ft in the chain locker and an additional 100' in the
bilge. I dont want all the weight in the bow. There are occasions when I set
two hooks or just want more scope on a deep water anchorage. backing to a
quay..etc.

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...

On my boat I keep 100 ft in the chain locker and an additional 100' in
the
bilge. I dont want all the weight in the bow. There are occasions when
I set
two hooks or just want more scope on a deep water anchorage. backing
to a
quay..etc.

Then you must have a cockleshell if weight in the bow from chain is a
serious concern. It's unseamanlike to use all-chain rodes on small
boats. Half-inch nylon with ten to fifteen feet of chain is called for
on small boats that cannot take the weight of a shot of chain in the
forward chain locker.

Some idiot was selling a 31-foot catamaran and he listed much of the
equipment thinking it would impress a potential buyer. He had 400 feet
of 3/8 chain plus two 30 pound anchors. Not to mention a heavy windlass,
two Yanmars, ref/freezer, 4kw generator etc. etc. etc. The picture
showed the boat down by the bow and down all around by about a foot over
normal. How stupid can some people be? No wonder he was trying to sell
it. It probably wouldn't get out of its own way.

Harry Harris

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:03:06 -0500, Harry Harris wrote
(in article ):

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

More of a conch shell. The boat was built with a ridiculous poly water tank
of about 20 gallons under the v-berth for a mickey mouse hand pump in the
head.The main water tanks are saddle tanks amid ships. I removed the tank and
the silly sink pump combo, and replaced the weight with the chain. Also
removed was the electrosan head. That was replaced with the equivalent of a
bucket and seat. I also have a lunch hook on with a nylon rode. 30' CD about
6 tons. Strictly a coastal cruiser. It is nice to have the extra weight
secured in the bilge from the second shot of chain.

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:00:04 -0500, Harry Harris wrote
(in article ):

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...
What is the point of an anchor if it is not "anchored" to the boat? It
has
been my experience to snub the chain @ 10' from the bitter end with an
appropriate line or chain to the boat. Have you ever tried to add
chain to an
already tight bitter end?

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

On my boat I keep 100 ft in the chain locker and an additional 100' in the
bilge. I dont want all the weight in the bow. There are occasions when I
set
two hooks or just want more scope on a deep water anchorage. backing to a
quay..etc.

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

That's a great idea.... I was thinking about having (more) chain available
in case I need it, but don't want to use it most of the time. Right now, I
have about 20' of chain on the rode, which is sufficient for the bay. It
would be nice to add a length.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com