posted to alt.sailing.asa
Harry Harris Harry Harris is offline

Default Anchor Chain

"Mundo" wrote in message
. net...

On my boat I keep 100 ft in the chain locker and an additional 100' in
the
bilge. I dont want all the weight in the bow. There are occasions when
I set
two hooks or just want more scope on a deep water anchorage. backing
to a
quay..etc.

Then you must have a cockleshell if weight in the bow from chain is a
serious concern. It's unseamanlike to use all-chain rodes on small
boats. Half-inch nylon with ten to fifteen feet of chain is called for
on small boats that cannot take the weight of a shot of chain in the
forward chain locker.

Some idiot was selling a 31-foot catamaran and he listed much of the
equipment thinking it would impress a potential buyer. He had 400 feet
of 3/8 chain plus two 30 pound anchors. Not to mention a heavy windlass,
two Yanmars, ref/freezer, 4kw generator etc. etc. etc. The picture
showed the boat down by the bow and down all around by about a foot over
normal. How stupid can some people be? No wonder he was trying to sell
it. It probably wouldn't get out of its own way.

Harry Harris