posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Canting Ballast, Twin Foil

Anyone seen one of these CBTF boats? The full article is available at:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...s/1276881.html.

"Speeds of 20 knots on a sport sailboat? Impossible. A 40-ft. sailboat
that beats 70-ft. racing yachts? Not likely. A yacht that can sail
without heeling over, yet go faster than anything its own size? Hard to
believe. Well, check out the DynaFlyer 40 Red Hornetand start believing.
What sort of magic is this? Just remember four letters: CBTF. They stand
for "canting ballast, twin foil." It's a concept that is revolutionizing
the yachting world, especially for the mainstream sailor. The DynaFlyer
design is the brainchild of two yacht designers with extensive America's
Cup backgrounds, Matt Brown and Bill Burns. What the pair have done with
their CBTF concept is to separate two sailing needs–lateral resistance
and stability–and solve them independently.

The canting ballast is the answer. Their DynaFlyer 40 has no
conventional keel. Instead, an 1800-pound lead torpedo is suspended on a
6-ft. strut made from a high-strength stainless steel billet. Using a
cleverly designed hydraulic system inside the boat, the entire strut and
torpedo can be angled as much as 55 degrees to each side. Operated by
buttons in the cockpit, the canting ballast moves quickly: just 12
seconds from lock to lock.

With the ballast in the straight down position and a 10-knot breeze, the
DynaFlyer heels about 30 degrees. Push the control button for a moment,
and the boat straightens up to just 10 degrees of heel while the speed
quickly increases from 5.5 knots to 7 knots.

Technical sophistication is one thing, but on-the-water performance is
another, and the DynaFlyer 40 has it in spades. In a 15-knot breeze, the
Red Hornet can reach 12 to 13 knots while reaching with spinnaker, which
would be satisfactory speeds for a catamaran. While racing, the Red
Hornet has often sailed faster.

The one absolute fact is that a sailboat sailed upright is both faster
and more comfortable. As the CBTF philosophy of "sail flat, sail fast"
spreads throughout the sailing universe, it's likely that the image of
the sharply heeled sailboat will one day be just a romantic memory."

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"JimC" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Interesting, but what's the advantage over a tri or cat?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I have to confess that my cat can't do this:

http://www.ksopen50.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=682

The last time we cruised Maine we had a chance to see this boat on the
hard in Freeport. Its an awesome boat - she won the Route de Rhume
beating the Class 2 Monohull record by 18 hours.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Hey JimC welcome back

"JimC" wrote
Anyone seen one of these CBTF boats? The full article is available at:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...s/1276881.html.

"Speeds of 20 knots on a sport sailboat? Impossible. A 40-ft. sailboat
that beats 70-ft. racing yachts? Not likely. A yacht that can sail without
heeling over, yet go faster than anything its own size? Hard to believe.

Not at all. As with everything, it depends on whether you're comparing
apples to oranges.

Well, check out the DynaFlyer 40 Red Hornetand start believing.
What sort of magic is this? Just remember four letters: CBTF. They stand
for "canting ballast, twin foil." It's a concept that is revolutionizing
the yachting world,

The funny thing is, it's not that new an idea. I saw a boat outfitted
with twin foils back in the 1960s although it didn't work as well as
the new boats (massive amounts of number-crunching really does help
design). It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the same idea had occured to
several people earlier on.

The one absolute fact is that a sailboat sailed upright is both faster and
more comfortable.

Again, it depends. When the means of providing righting moment don't
add more drag than the power developed, then yes it's faster. Usually
heeling means helm, which means you're dragging the rudder sideways.
OTOH a lot of narrow boats will sail quite happily at startling angles
of heel and cannot develop any power unless laid over.

As the CBTF philosophy of "sail flat, sail fast" spreads
throughout the sailing universe, it's likely that the image of the sharply
heeled sailboat will one day be just a romantic memory."

Maybe, maybe not.

FWIW I have seen these boats sail a couple of times, the 'production'
version of the Schock 40 CBTF which is indeed pretty dang fast. Wet,
too. But it's a tiny boat, a sliver of a hull with weekender
accomodations; and it takes some practice to make the thing go. The
verdict of one owner I've talked with is that it's not really much fun
(of course, he had a very difficult rating also).

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Interesting, but what's the advantage over a tri or cat?

You can park it in a normal slip.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Jeff" wrote in message . ..
Capt. JG wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message et...
[...]

Another RETARD! Only a brainless twit would view that video and think it meant
anything? Did you notice something you sucker-born-every-minute kind of guy? Did you
see any mast, boom, sails, running rigging or standing rigging? No you didn't and the
thought never even occurred in what passes as your brain that the boat would not
self-right like that in the real world with a sailing rig attached.

Jeff, you are the perfect example of how stupidity gets mainstreamed. And you dare
make fun of the wise-beyond-belief Jax Ashby? You, sir, are no Mensan!

Harry Harris

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Probably not with out a guide.

wrote:

Hey JimC welcome back

"JimC" wrote

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Interesting, but what's the advantage over a tri or cat?

You can park it in a normal slip.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey JimC welcome back

"JimC" wrote

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Interesting, but what's the advantage over a tri or cat?

You can park it in a normal slip.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)

You can park an F-boat in a normal slip also...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:
Hey JimC welcome back

Thanks. I'm hoping I'll be able to get in some sailing next month.

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" w@u wrote in message
. ..
Where's those pics you promised us?

Scotty

Please don't encourage him. His constant whining is so pathetic. The
only thing more pathetic is the boat he wasted his slip-and-fall lawyer
money on. Do a Google search on Buccaneer 26. It is almost the equal in
ugly to the MacGregor 26.

Wilbur Hubbard