posted to alt.sailing.asa
Dry 1 Dry 1 is offline

Default Canting Ballast, Twin Foil

Probably not with out a guide.

wrote:

Hey JimC welcome back

"JimC" wrote
Anyone seen one of these CBTF boats? The full article is available at:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/outd...s/1276881.html.

"Speeds of 20 knots on a sport sailboat? Impossible. A 40-ft. sailboat
that beats 70-ft. racing yachts? Not likely. A yacht that can sail without
heeling over, yet go faster than anything its own size? Hard to believe.

Not at all. As with everything, it depends on whether you're comparing
apples to oranges.

Well, check out the DynaFlyer 40 Red Hornetand start believing.
What sort of magic is this? Just remember four letters: CBTF. They stand
for "canting ballast, twin foil." It's a concept that is revolutionizing
the yachting world,

The funny thing is, it's not that new an idea. I saw a boat outfitted
with twin foils back in the 1960s although it didn't work as well as
the new boats (massive amounts of number-crunching really does help
design). It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the same idea had occured to
several people earlier on.

The one absolute fact is that a sailboat sailed upright is both faster and
more comfortable.

Again, it depends. When the means of providing righting moment don't
add more drag than the power developed, then yes it's faster. Usually
heeling means helm, which means you're dragging the rudder sideways.
OTOH a lot of narrow boats will sail quite happily at startling angles
of heel and cannot develop any power unless laid over.

As the CBTF philosophy of "sail flat, sail fast" spreads
throughout the sailing universe, it's likely that the image of the sharply
heeled sailboat will one day be just a romantic memory."

Maybe, maybe not.

FWIW I have seen these boats sail a couple of times, the 'production'
version of the Schock 40 CBTF which is indeed pretty dang fast. Wet,
too. But it's a tiny boat, a sliver of a hull with weekender
accomodations; and it takes some practice to make the thing go. The
verdict of one owner I've talked with is that it's not really much fun
(of course, he had a very difficult rating also).

"Capt. JG" wrote:
Interesting, but what's the advantage over a tri or cat?

You can park it in a normal slip.

-signed- Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)