HotRod

Default Skiing behind twin engine boat?

This question is posted in can.rec.boating and alt.home.repair and rec.boats

My Dad is looking at a twin engine (twin 260 hp) 25' boat. But he has one
major question? will he be able to take someone skiing behind a twin engine
boat? A bunch of people we have talked to say that you don't ski behind a
twin engine boat,

WHY? Is it a problem with the wake or just cost of fuel?

Since he has also looked at a few single engine bowriders what would be the
main advantage of the same size boat except twin engines? Disadvantages?

The twin engine boat is a Wellcraft 250 xl

nospambob

At Lake Shasta in northern California many years ago I was asked to be
the observer by the ski designer for O'Brien skis while he checked out
the latest sanding of a ski he was creating for the then well known
female skier whose name escapes me now. Commented to his with what
RPMs he wanted for each engine and away we went!

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:20:53 -0400, "HotRod"
wrote:

This question is posted in can.rec.boating and alt.home.repair and rec.boats

My Dad is looking at a twin engine (twin 260 hp) 25' boat. But he has one
major question? will he be able to take someone skiing behind a twin engine
boat? A bunch of people we have talked to say that you don't ski behind a
twin engine boat,

WHY? Is it a problem with the wake or just cost of fuel?

Since he has also looked at a few single engine bowriders what would be the
main advantage of the same size boat except twin engines? Disadvantages?

The twin engine boat is a Wellcraft 250 xl

HotRod

not sure I understand, SORRY

G Henslee

HotRod wrote:
not sure I understand, SORRY

That's obvious. Who are you talking to?

G Henslee

HotRod wrote:

"nospambob" wrote in message

At Lake Shasta in northern California many years ago I was asked to be
the observer by the ski designer for O'Brien skis while he checked out
the latest sanding of a ski he was creating for the then well known
female skier whose name escapes me now. Commented to his with what
RPMs he wanted for each engine and away we went!

Not sure I understand.

In a back-asswards way he's saying people ski behind twin engine boats.
Or he could be saying one must be a female skier to do so, or a well
known female skier, or one must use different rpms for each engine, or I
dunno. I think...
tony thomas

You can ski behind anything that has enough power and speed.
On two skis you need about 22 to 25 mph to be able to stay up. On a slalom
you need 28 to 32 depending on the ski design and the weight of the person.
You also need enough power and quickness of reaching that speed or you will
drown the skier trying to get up.

Having said that. If your boat planes easily and can run 30 mph then yes -
you can ski. The wake may be huge but you can do it.

--
Tony
my boats and cars at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

-
"HotRod" wrote in message
This question is posted in can.rec.boating and alt.home.repair and
rec.boats

My Dad is looking at a twin engine (twin 260 hp) 25' boat. But he has one
major question? will he be able to take someone skiing behind a twin
engine
boat? A bunch of people we have talked to say that you don't ski behind a
twin engine boat,

WHY? Is it a problem with the wake or just cost of fuel?

Since he has also looked at a few single engine bowriders what would be
the
main advantage of the same size boat except twin engines? Disadvantages?

The twin engine boat is a Wellcraft 250 xl

nospambob

O'Brien ski designer asked his WIFE to set the RPMs on BOTH motors to
the figure he preferred while checking out the last modification he
made to the ski. Skiing with two motors was done was the point I was
attempting to make. Don't have any idea how "wife" ended up as
"with"! Sorry.

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:53:00 -0700, G Henslee
wrote:

HotRod wrote:

"nospambob" wrote in message

At Lake Shasta in northern California many years ago I was asked to be
the observer by the ski designer for O'Brien skis while he checked out
the latest sanding of a ski he was creating for the then well known
female skier whose name escapes me now. Commented to his with what
RPMs he wanted for each engine and away we went!

Not sure I understand.

In a back-asswards way he's saying people ski behind twin engine boats.
Or he could be saying one must be a female skier to do so, or a well
known female skier, or one must use different rpms for each engine, or I
dunno. I think...

D-unit

"HotRod" wrote in message
This question is posted in can.rec.boating and alt.home.repair and

rec.boats

My Dad is looking at a twin engine (twin 260 hp) 25' boat. But he has one
major question? will he be able to take someone skiing behind a twin

engine
boat? A bunch of people we have talked to say that you don't ski behind a
twin engine boat,

WHY? Is it a problem with the wake or just cost of fuel?

Since he has also looked at a few single engine bowriders what would be

the
main advantage of the same size boat except twin engines? Disadvantages?

The twin engine boat is a Wellcraft 250 xl

I've done it a few times.. No problems that I can report.

Don B.

Edwin Pawlowski

"HotRod" wrote in message

boat? A bunch of people we have talked to say that you don't ski behind a
twin engine boat,

WHY? Is it a problem with the wake or just cost of fuel?

I've never been able to ski behind a twin engine boat. It has nothing to do
with the cost of fuel.