Scott Bemis

Default Sea kayak, ballast, use of lead blankets, just an observation

This is just my observation.

Prologue
And a little preface . . . before I ever stepped into a sea kayak, I
did a little sailing (nothing extravagant though). Many recreational
sailboats use ballast, for example lead filled keels.
So with the handling of a sea kayak, borrowing what sailors in past
centuries have done in many sailboats and ships and a variation
presented in Derek Hutchinson's book "The Complete Book of Sea
Kayaking" in which he described the use of lead pipe parts as ballast

Lead blanket as ballast
I purchased two 16" by 24" lead blankets. (the type to shield from
radiation). Folded, two of the lead blankets fit beneath my kayak
seat, a Current Designs Storm with the original seat. I carefully tied
in as these lead blankets have as they have grommets.

I recently went off to the local pool session to see how this ballast
would work. Although I did not have a self righting boat like the U.S.
Coast Guard motor lifeboats, MLBs, the ballast made eskimo rolling
much easier in my sea kayak (yes, I was hoping for the capability of a
MLB). The lead blankets stayed in quite securely.

Regarding the use of this type of ballast, I would not use ballast
when initially learning eskimo rolling. Since this ballast makes
eskimo rolling much easier, their use would also the development of
sloppy habits while initially learning. Besides this test, I would
also not use this ballast while practicing in pool sessions. The use
of ballast would allow sloppy rolling habits to develop.

The next test will on open water, later this year, with some wind and
additional weight in the front and rear hatches, and perhaps while
under sail (and with sponsons deployed while sailing although these
sponsons work, they are overhyped by certain people).

And for some unknown reason, a computer recycler in Glen Flora,
Wisconsin, 5R Processors, LTD. purchased or otherwise received 44,000
pounds of lead blankets. They have been listing these lead blankets on
eBay. The shipping costs as much and most likley more than the lead
blanket.

Epilogue
I also have a tendency to try unusual gear with the sea kayak so far,
for example, nightime running lights, downwind sail, the electric
bilge pump. I have my kayak rigged for rear (someone else) and forward
towing (me) while also serves to tie up my kayak. I cannot imagine
having a boat without cleats, too. In regards to ballast, I had also
removed lead from car batteries before discovering theses lead
blankets. I would not recommend tearing apart car batteries and
smelting the lead; this is too time consuming. I did not go to a metal
recycler though.

End

Scott Bemis
Wade Norton

My wife and I are avid scuba divers and as such we have ample lead weights
(solid weights as well as soft sided "bean bag" weights). For the purpose
of figuring out the best trim for our seakayaks we often used beanbag
weights as ballast. Worked well!

I don't know that I would want to leave it in full time. It would make the
boat more stable, but also means you have to paddle and carry the extra
weight.

Wade

"Scott Bemis" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Dirk Barends

depleted uranium seems to be an even better choice than lead :-)

Gary S.

On 17 Mar 2004 08:28:58 GMT, Dirk Barends wrote:

depleted uranium seems to be an even better choice than lead :-)

But the speed at which you receive it matter a great deal.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Scott Bemis

Oh well, I do not scuba dive. I should have asked first asked
regarding . . we have ample lead weights . . . as soft sided "bean
bag" weights") The soft sided bean bag weights would work well
beneath a kayak seat (and there is a scuba dive shop one mile from my
house). I saw the solid lead weight belts for scuba divers. I never
knew that scuba divers used bean bag weights. Oh well, maybe next
time (the purge valves used by scuba divers work well on larger
drybags - the type of drybags I used for canoeing).

I don't know that I would want to leave it in full time

I agree completely. This is why lead blankets or even better, your
ideal of lead bean bags, is desirable. Longer term trips, yes, day
trips, no.

And yes, depleted uranium would be even better as depleted uranium is
a denser metal than lead. As there have been (thankfully) no tank
battles near my home (Minnesota U.S.A.) and therefore no leftover
destroyed tanks from any tank battle, I do not have a nearby source of
depleted uranium. Many tanks used depleted uranium for armor. Or
should I ask the nearby VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) post if I can
look at the tanks sometimes on display in front of their clubs ?

My wife and I are avid scuba divers and as such we have ample lead weights
(solid weights as well as soft sided "bean bag" weights). For the purpose
of figuring out the best trim for our seakayaks we often used beanbag
weights as ballast. Worked well!

I don't know that I would want to leave it in full time. It would make the
boat more stable, but also means you have to paddle and carry the extra
weight.

Thanks for the scuba diver bean bag tip.

Scott Bemis

lcopps

Sea kayaks will not work effectively with ballast. Ballast works by
providing leverage to offset the leverage exerted by the sail. Since a
kayak only goes a few inches below the water line, Ballast is not able
to provide that leverage beyond the 2 or so inches below the waterline.
Sailboats increase the leverage with a keel that protrudes several feet
below the waterline. Outriggers work much better for Kayaks. All
comercial kayak sail systems available that provide stabalization use
outriggers. Balogh Sail Designs sell outriggers that can be folded quite
small.