posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sailing Around the World: Difficulty

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

My first boat was a Sunfish.

And he circumnavigated in it. Twice.

See, anything is possible.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

I owned other boats in between that and the Sabre 30 I now own, and I'll
probably be getting a second, larger boat in the next few months, which
will be more in line with my needs/wants.

What's wrong with the "new" Sabre? Looks like a fine boat to me.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Nellen MacArthur wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message
. ..

Start with
an Island Packet, Swan, Valiant, Sabre, or the like, and

then, when you

can't stand sailing anymore and want to become a

powerboater

buy a Mac26M. (with the big motor of course)

Jim

What stupid advice!

Nelly

You forgot to say "duh"....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

My first boat was a Sunfish.

And he circumnavigated in it. Twice.

See, anything is possible.

Max

Only once, and it had an 80 hp outboard just like Jim's Mac.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

I owned other boats in between that and the Sabre 30 I now own, and I'll
probably be getting a second, larger boat in the next few months, which
will be more in line with my needs/wants.

What's wrong with the "new" Sabre? Looks like a fine boat to me.

Max

Well, I'm not going to sell it. I use it mostly for day sailing, and it's
main limitation is evening/night time comfort for more than a couple of days
for two people, especially when you have to meet clients in decent clothes.
We'll see. I haven't made any decisions yet, but do have a couple of
prospects.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Nellen MacArthur wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message
. ..

Start with
an Island Packet, Swan, Valiant, Sabre, or the like, and

then, when you

can't stand sailing anymore and want to become a

powerboater

buy a Mac26M. (with the big motor of course)

Jim

What stupid advice!

Nelly

You forgot to say "duh"....

Jim says it enough.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:46:06 -0500, Ringmaster wrote
(in article . com):

On Jan 28, 11:40?pm, "David" wrote:
I have never sailed before, although sailing around the world is one
of my dreams that I want to accomplish in my life. I am 21 years old,
and I want to know if this is a dream I can pursue or something far-
fetched and non-possible..

David, with all due respect anything is possible but having spent
considerable time at sea in the Navy it's my opinion that sailing
around the world on anything less than a cruise ship is idiotic. You
can't imagine what wind and sea conditions can get like when it's
bad. I have never seen a film or video that accurately portrays what
big seas really look like. Move closer to the water, buy a boat and
enjoy costal cruising.

Having spent weeks at a time (2-5 weeks trips) offshore in small boats
(50-90ft) for 20 years, I have to agree with Loco. Much nicer to make port
every night or couple of days. I would like to take that trip from Clipper
Lines from southeast asia to the med sometime. First class all the way. The
price is around 10k for the whole passage. Half the price of a mac 26.

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message
news

What are you talking about Nell? It's quite logical that he should start
with a good, but conventional boat, and then move up to a Mac. - Save the
best for last.

Jim

Got any pictures of your boat while sailing her yet? Given your excellent
sailing credentials, it should be hard to do.

Capt., are quite right when you say it should be hard for me to take
pictures. - I'm usually sailing solo, so I can't very well take photos
of the boat other than pictures of the deck, etc. Also, it's cold as
h____ these days, and I really don't enjoy getting out there in this
weather. Hopefully I'll be out again in February.

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"JimC" wrote in message
. net...

Capt. JG wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message
news

What are you talking about Nell? It's quite logical that he should start
with a good, but conventional boat, and then move up to a Mac. - Save the
best for last.

Jim

Got any pictures of your boat while sailing her yet? Given your excellent
sailing credentials, it should be hard to do.

Capt., are quite right when you say it should be hard for me to take
pictures. - I'm usually sailing solo, so I can't very well take photos of
the boat other than pictures of the deck, etc. Also, it's cold as h____
these days, and I really don't enjoy getting out there in this weather.
Hopefully I'll be out again in February.

Jim

Well, I single-hand all the time, and I don't have trouble taking pictures
of me and the boat. It's cold here also. I'm sailing on Thursday.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Nellen MacArthur wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message
. ..

Start with
an Island Packet, Swan, Valiant, Sabre, or the like, and

then, when you

can't stand sailing anymore and want to become a

powerboater

buy a Mac26M. (with the big motor of course)

Jim

What stupid advice!

Nelly

You forgot to say "duh"....

Neal has posted too much as "Ellen" to be consistent. He's going to have to
find a new puppet soon.

Max

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 March 6th 05 05:29 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 25th 04 05:19 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 10th 04 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 December 31st 03 02:03 AM