posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Sailing Around the World: Difficulty

I have never sailed before, although sailing around the world is one
of my dreams that I want to accomplish in my life. I am 21 years old,
and I want to know if this is a dream I can pursue or something far-
fetched and non-possible.

I live in Ohio - so no oceans near by. Owning a large sail boat would
seem almost ridiculous. Is there a way I can rent a sail-boat, or any
other alternative to making my trip that would possibly last anywhere
from 6 months to 2 years?

Cost -- Is this something that would quite definately cost $200,000
just for the boat alone? And the difficulty of sailing around the
world? (Making plenty of stops to visit places, of course). I wouldn't
want to bring my wife if it would be something extremely dangerous.

If anyone can point my to some information I can read about, I would
greatly appreciate it!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have never sailed before, although sailing around the world is one
of my dreams that I want to accomplish in my life. I am 21 years old,
and I want to know if this is a dream I can pursue or something far-
fetched and non-possible.

I live in Ohio - so no oceans near by. Owning a large sail boat would
seem almost ridiculous. Is there a way I can rent a sail-boat, or any
other alternative to making my trip that would possibly last anywhere
from 6 months to 2 years?

Cost -- Is this something that would quite definately cost $200,000
just for the boat alone? And the difficulty of sailing around the
world? (Making plenty of stops to visit places, of course). I wouldn't
want to bring my wife if it would be something extremely dangerous.

If anyone can point my to some information I can read about, I would
greatly appreciate it!

Some, if not all, of your conclusions above are in error, David. You need
to do some extensive research (reading) before drawing any further
conclusions. My recommendations are any books by Lin and Larry Pardey, Eric
and Susan Hiscock, or the myriad other circumnavigators who've also been
gifted with the ability to be prosaic. Your answers aren't here.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:29:05 -0500, Maxprop wrote
(in article k.net):

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Don't listen to Max... Follow your gut feeling. You will get the hang of it.
This is one of those do it once and your an expert categories. As a patriotic
American, I have learned that facts are for sissies. You should go with your
gut instinct. You can buy a nice Macgregor 26 for 21k.
http://www.macgregor26.com/
Did I mention that this yacht sleeps 6?

--
Mundo, The Captain who is a bully and an ass

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have never sailed before, although sailing around the world is one
of my dreams that I want to accomplish in my life. I am 21 years old,
and I want to know if this is a dream I can pursue or something far-
fetched and non-possible.

Absolutely. Do some reading at the library. You'll find tons of info. I'm
betting there are some places to sail in Ohio, which will give you the
basics.

I live in Ohio - so no oceans near by. Owning a large sail boat would
seem almost ridiculous. Is there a way I can rent a sail-boat, or any
other alternative to making my trip that would possibly last anywhere
from 6 months to 2 years?

No, not renting. However, you could sign on to crew on someone else's boat.
There are lots of venues for this sort of experience, but I'd suggest
learning to sail (anything) first.

Cost -- Is this something that would quite definately cost $200,000
just for the boat alone? And the difficulty of sailing around the
world? (Making plenty of stops to visit places, of course). I wouldn't
want to bring my wife if it would be something extremely dangerous.

No. People circumnavigate on far less, tiny boats, minimal gear and gizmos,
and live on just a few dollars a day. Danger is inherent in all activities.
You can mitigate some of it, perhaps most of it, with good planning and
training. Don't forget to have your wife learn to be your equal, as far as
boat handling goes. The last thing you want to do is to have to rely on
someone who is incompetent.

If anyone can point my to some information I can read about, I would
greatly appreciate it!

There are so many resources available, that you'd best be served by
googling. Then, get a few books. Then, learn to sail. If after all that,
you're still interested, you can proceed to crew on others' boats. Then,
perhaps buy a boat. The more boats you sail on, the better you'll understand
what you want and for what purpose.

My first boat was a Sunfish. I owned other boats in between that and the
Sabre 30 I now own, and I'll probably be getting a second, larger boat in
the next few months, which will be more in line with my needs/wants.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

you're getting rid of your new boat already? You don't like it?
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 29, 3:30 am, "Scout" wrote:

You don't like it?

Just a stepping stone I'm guessing.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

David wrote:
I have never sailed before, although sailing around the world is one
of my dreams that I want to accomplish in my life. I am 21 years old,
and I want to know if this is a dream I can pursue or something far-
fetched and non-possible.

I live in Ohio - so no oceans near by. Owning a large sail boat would
seem almost ridiculous. Is there a way I can rent a sail-boat, or any
other alternative to making my trip that would possibly last anywhere
from 6 months to 2 years?

Cost -- Is this something that would quite definately cost $200,000
just for the boat alone? And the difficulty of sailing around the
world? (Making plenty of stops to visit places, of course). I wouldn't
want to bring my wife if it would be something extremely dangerous.

If anyone can point my to some information I can read about, I would
greatly appreciate it!

Read Tanja Aebi's book first....it's dated now but still an accurate
rendition of that sort of endeavor and she was totally unexperienced
when she left...and no..there is noone in their right mind who would
rent a sailboat to someone with no experince (except maybe down in the
Caribean for charter...) 6 months? you'd never do it, especially if you
stopped here and there...and you can get a big boat and keep it on Lake
Erie..plenty of people sail out of Snadusky/Toledo area...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 28, 10:40 pm, "David" wrote:
I have never sailed before, although sailing around the world is one
of my dreams that I want to accomplish in my life. I am 21 years old,
and I want to know if this is a dream I can pursue or something far-
fetched and non-possible.

http://www.donnalange.com/

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Nope... g

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What I was trying to say is that no, I'm not getting rid of my Sabre. g

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Learning to sail the USA way. ARG ASA 82 March 23rd 06 01:10 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 March 6th 05 05:29 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 25th 04 05:19 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 November 10th 04 05:22 AM
American Sailing Association frequently asked questions Paul R. Fortin ASA 0 December 31st 03 02:03 AM