posted to alt.sailing.asa
David David is offline

Default Sailing Around the World: Difficulty

I have never sailed before, although sailing around the world is one
of my dreams that I want to accomplish in my life. I am 21 years old,
and I want to know if this is a dream I can pursue or something far-
fetched and non-possible.

I live in Ohio - so no oceans near by. Owning a large sail boat would
seem almost ridiculous. Is there a way I can rent a sail-boat, or any
other alternative to making my trip that would possibly last anywhere
from 6 months to 2 years?

Cost -- Is this something that would quite definately cost $200,000
just for the boat alone? And the difficulty of sailing around the
world? (Making plenty of stops to visit places, of course). I wouldn't
want to bring my wife if it would be something extremely dangerous.

If anyone can point my to some information I can read about, I would
greatly appreciate it!