posted to alt.sailing.asa
Stu Stu is offline

Default Prefix on a sea chart symbol.

Hello

Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination with
i.e. a beacon symbol.

Is this the right group to ask this kind of question? If not which one is
the right one?

/Stu

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Stu" wrote in message
Hello

Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination with
i.e. a beacon symbol.

Is this the right group to ask this kind of question? If not which one is
the right one?

/Stu

This seems to be a symbol peculiar to USA since it does not appear in my
British or my Norwegian lists of symbols and abbreviations for charts.
Older charts here have the notation PD (position doubtful) and more recent
ones PA (position approximate). However these abbreviations imply that the
beacon (or whatever) does exist but its position is not guaranteed. You must
therefore bear in mind that your ? symbol might also imply that the very
existence of the object is doubtful.
So give that spot a wide berth unless you can see the thing!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Stu wrote:
Hello

Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination with
i.e. a beacon symbol.

I don't know; there are certainly a number of underwater features that
are considered questionable, but its harder to imagine a beacon being
in the category, unless its privately maintained. Since many of us
have access to "charts of the world" it might help if you told us what
chart this is actually on, or at least which country and era. Also,
the full notation would be helpful.

Is this the right group to ask this kind of question? If not which one is
the right one?

It depends on what type of answer you want. rec.boats.cruising has a
larger number of folks who have done world wide cruising.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Stu wrote:
Hello

Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination with
i.e. a beacon symbol.

Is this the right group to ask this kind of question? If not which one is
the right one?

/Stu

One more thing - here's a link to the "Chart Number 1" which lists all
of the symbols use in the US, and many international symbols.
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/chart1/chart1hr.htm

I looked at some parts for a "?" and none were listed.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Stu" wrote
Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination with i.e. a beacon symbol.

That's easy. I'm surprised the *experts* here didn't know. It means the
reliability of the light is in question. Some lights are in dis-repair more than
they're in repair.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Stu Stu is offline

Hello again!

Thank you all for your efforts and prompt answers to my inquiry. It was
however a complete failure, and here is why: What came out as a
"questionmark" was meant to be something entirely different. What I meant to
put in there is a Greek letter (the 12th letter in the Greek alphabet)
generally used to indicate "micro" in various engineering applications.

So, with this, new, description of the symbol, can anyone describe its
meaning when found in a sea chart in connection with, i.e., a beacon?

/Stu

"Stu" skrev i meddelandet
Hello

Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination with
i.e. a beacon symbol.

Is this the right group to ask this kind of question? If not which one is
the right one?

/Stu

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Oh, that's easy. Its a Greek chart! What do I win?

Seriously, is there some reason why you can't tell us what chart this
is on? It isn't a standard symbol on US charts, in fact I don't
recall ever seeing "non-English" characters on a US chart.

"Stu" skrev i meddelandet
Hello

Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination with
i.e. a beacon symbol.

Is this the right group to ask this kind of question? If not which one is
the right one?

/Stu

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Stu" wrote
Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination with
i.e. a beacon symbol.

That's easy. I'm surprised the *experts* here didn't know. It means
the
reliability of the light is in question. Some lights are in dis-repair
more than
they're in repair.

This from the same 'person' who talks of "pulleys?"

You're busted, Neal. Give it up.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Stu Stu is offline

It is a Swedish chart. Sweden uses the "Chart number 1" symbolic scheme for
its charts. I too have never seen any "non-English" characters on a chart
from the western world before. That's why I am puzzled and that is also the
reason for my question.

/Stu

. ..

"Stu" skrev i meddelandet
Hello

Does anybody out there know what the prefix "?" means in combination
with i.e. a beacon symbol.

Is this the right group to ask this kind of question? If not which one
is the right one?

/Stu

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote
This from the same 'person' who talks of "pulleys?"
You're busted, Neal. Give it up.

Duh, it was just a guess. And it turns out it was a bad guess. The guy
wasn't even talking about a question mark. It was some greek letter typed
wrong. It was the letter Mu. I googled it and it said it stands for micro.
So now I think maybe sorta that it's for a microwave tower. He calls it
a beacon. But, he sounds like a foreigner.... So it's probably a microwave
tower on land. I looked it up in Nautical Chart #1.
Hey, I know a lot about charts and colregs but boat parts I'm still new
at but I'm learning. So it's called a block instead of a pulley, big deal!
Try getting a life, Mr. Maxprop.

Cheers,
Ellen

FS: 47' SYMBOL Cruising Pilothouse in NY Capt. Rob Marketplace 0 November 13th 06 02:51 AM
Editing a bbs raster chart title Richard Lane Electronics 6 October 1st 05 09:45 PM
Yoeman Plotter Bobby Electronics 9 July 14th 05 10:43 PM
Nautical Chart Symbols Abbreviations and Terms Mic Cruising 0 July 7th 05 06:54 PM
Chart Table surface -- Solution! Steve Cruising 0 February 16th 04 02:22 AM