Bobby

Default Yoeman Plotter

Has anyone used a yeoman plotter? what are they like? are they worth having?
Bobby

Jack Painter

"Bobby" wrote in message
Has anyone used a yeoman plotter? what are they like? are they worth

having?
Bobby

Fifteen years ago it was a great tool, in spite of the space that the board
took up. While GPS displays will never be as large as the charts used on the
Yeoman, I think GPS Nav-programs made the plotter-boards obsolete a long
time ago. It might still appeal to anyone who appreciates being able to work
on a chart, having most of the tools of a nav-system available at the board
versus changing miniature GPS display screens all the time ;-)

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Gerard van Toornenberg.

It is stiil a great tool and mapmakers do not like it.

Gerard

"Jack Painter" schreef in bericht

"Bobby" wrote in message
Has anyone used a yeoman plotter? what are they like? are they worth

having?
Bobby

Fifteen years ago it was a great tool, in spite of the space that the
board
took up. While GPS displays will never be as large as the charts used on
the
Yeoman, I think GPS Nav-programs made the plotter-boards obsolete a long
time ago. It might still appeal to anyone who appreciates being able to
work
on a chart, having most of the tools of a nav-system available at the
board
versus changing miniature GPS display screens all the time ;-)

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Larry W4CSC

"Bobby" wrote in
:

Has anyone used a yeoman plotter? what are they like? are they worth
having? Bobby

My captain had the foam portable version and left it in the hot Atlanta sun
in his pickup truck, where it promptly melted all the hotglue it was put
together with. He asked me what I thought we ought to do with it. (He had
in mind junking it, the silly boy)....

I took the scanning board out of it and used industrial-strength (5 pounds
per foot) double sided foam tape and made 3 long strips as wide as the
board in the Yeoman was on the side of the board opposite the computer
daughterboard mounting. I stuck the Yeoman to the bottom of Lionheart's
mahogany chart table top close to the edge. There's a bottom and right-
side fiddle on the table top that makes a great index to hold the chart
book to for use with the Yeoman. The puck simply comes out on the left
bottom corner from under the top. Yeoman is connected to the boat's NMEA
bus so it gets whatever data is currently in use.

The signal through the 1/2" thick mahogany top is plenty strong to go all
the way through a folded back chart book and about 3/4" above the surface
of the chart on the other side. Pull the whole book hard against the
fiddle and calibrate the three points on the book already memorized
(Maptech charts) and she's ready for paper backup navigation the easy way.

Every hour we mark the chart and plot the course on the plastic overlay
under the watchful eye of the Yeoman. What a waste it would have been to
toss it.....

William Andersen

What is a yeoman plotter?
"Bobby" wrote in message
Has anyone used a yeoman plotter? what are they like? are they worth
having?
Bobby

Larry

"William Andersen" wrote in

What is a yeoman plotter?

It's a scanned piece of PC board (usually mounted in either a foam holder
in the portable model, or attached to the bottom of a chart table top in
permanent installations. The scanning produces a magnetic signal that
scans across the board in lines, then down the board, much like the
scanning your television does to make a picture.

The pickup for this signal is a "puck", just like the ones used for
electronic drafting tables, but with buttons specialized for navigation.
The computer that generates the signals also reads the data from the puck's
electronics. By comparing the two signals, the Yeoman's computer knows
within a pencil lead thickness where the puck's pickup coil center is in
relation to the scanning board whenever the puck is near the board...within
about 6 inches on ours.

Now, programmed into the permanent memory of the computer, are reference
points that match the Yeoman reference points on Maptech's chart books.
Each chart page in each volume has 3 reference points that make a right
angle. You select the volume number, then page number on the puck's LCD
display. Then, you put the chart book on top of the scanning board so it
can't move and screw up the calibration. (We put it against two fiddles on
our chart table which give it the reference place.) Now you point the
puck's little target hole over each (marked A, B and C) and press the enter
button as the LCD asks you to show it A, B and C points on the chart. As
soon as you enter the points, the display switches to Lat/Long and starts
reading the exact latitude and longitude, nicely calibrated to the chart.
As you move the puck over the surface of the chart, the display shows the
puck's target position in Lat/Long on the LCD display.

If you chose not to use the Maptech charts, ANY chart in ANY scale will
work. YOU put 3 reference points on your chart, two on a line of latitude
and one on a line of longitude common with one of the latitude points
making a right angle. YOU tell the Yeoman puck the lat/long of each point
you chose on your chart and it stores this data for future use in its user
memory bank. All you do is make a notation on the paper chart of each
point (mark them A, B and C) and make a note in the margin of the chart as
to which user memory this particular chart's data is programmed into so you
can easily recall it later. Do three points on all your charts and you can
use them all with the Yeoman, any place on the planet. It even works on
common aeronautical charts, if you like.

Around the target area are four LED lights that make arrows away from the
target. These arrows tell you which direction to move the puck to put it
over your present position, unless you've clicked a specific point for a
waypoint, for instance, then it shows you the way back to that point. When
you get over your GPS' current position, the arrows all go out, easily
showing you your exact position (within the width of a pencil point) on the
chart....no drafting by hand to do. To plot your course on the paper
chart, simply move the puck until the arrows go out and mark your position
with a pencil through the puck's target hole made for this purpose.

There's another little handy button on the puck that changes the display
from Lat/Long to azimuth and distance. When you click the button, the
display shows you how far you are from either your current position or from
a reference point you've clicked up. "How far are we from the harbor
entrance bouy?", you ask. Click this button and simply put the puck target
over the bouy on the chart. Read the course and distance right off the LCD
display on the puck. It's that simple.

Yeoman will also transmit to your NMEA network, too. Lionheart has two
chart plotters at the helm, a Raymarine RL-70CRC radar/chart plotter
display and an old trusty Garmin 185 chart plotter/sonar. She also uses a
Dell Latitude notebook running The Cap'n nav software, which IS her primary
navigation system. Because the Yeoman's data output is connected to a port
on our NMEA network multiplexer, the network is fed NMEA data from the
Yeoman, like waypoints near that bouy if you like. When you click up a new
waypoint on the Yeoman, it shows up on all the other charts in the system.
We don't use the Yeoman for this because of the computer charts being much
more comprehensive, but it's a great backup system.

Aboard Lionheart, Yeoman provides us with hard copy course plotting every
hour just in case the whole electronic suite goes down. The line we keep
on a plastic overlay on the paper chart insures we know where we are if the
whole boat's dead. In a simple system, a GPS receiver, even a handheld
with data output, and the Yeoman plotter will give you great navigation
without all the old mechanical measurement problems rocking about....

Works great.....easy to use.

http://www.yeomanuk.co.uk/
http://www.marinews.com/electronics/electronics/GPS's/e_silvagps.htm
http://www.yeoman.net/

B&G bought Yeoman:
"Central to establishing Precision Navigation has been the acquisition from
Brookes & Gatehouse, of the manufacturing, marketing and distribution
rights of the Yeoman Plotter - which both men feel is a hugely underrated
piece of marine navigation technology.

Cole commented, "The Yeoman plotter already has thousands of dedicated
users throughout the world. It has a unique place on the navigators chart
table either as a stand-alone plotter or as a compliment to even the most
sophisticated navigation package."
Hatfield added, " It is the perfect link between paper charts and
electronic positioning devices, as it marks your precise position right
where you need it - on the paper chart!"

Richard Acland, Managing Director at B&G believes Precision Navigation is
the perfect home for the Yeoman Plotter. "Though it doesn't integrate with
our current product portfolio, the Yeoman Plotter is a great system and we
wish Precision Navigation every success for the future," says Richard.

The Yeoman Plotter will form the core business of Precision Navigation and
join a considered portfolio of navigation products - from chart work tools
to computerised chart plotting systems. Precision Navigation will, of
course be offering expert advise on all navigation matters.

Precision Navigation are based at 12, Court Farm, Brantham, Essex, CO11 1PW
close to the Orwell and Stour estuaries and can be contacted by telephone
on 01473 327813, fax on 01473 326859 or by email on
. A website is currently under construction
at www.precisionnavigation.co.uk."

which should insure its production for more years to come.....

http://www.waypoints.com/yeoman.html
http://www.carolinamapdistributors.c...echchartkitacc
essories.htm
http://www.benmeadows.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf1036.htm

--
Larry
William Andersen

Thanks. While it sounds good, it seems that the only advantage is that of
being able to make DR plots on paper - chartplotters do everything else, and
maybe more, than Yeoman. Right?

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Dennis Pogson

William Andersen wrote:
Thanks. While it sounds good, it seems that the only advantage is
that of being able to make DR plots on paper - chartplotters do
everything else, and maybe more, than Yeoman. Right?

Correct, but you are working directly on a full-size chart with Yeoman, no
zooming, no panning.

Having used one, I prefer the laptop, but Yeoman has it's followers who
won't use anything else..

Larry

"William Andersen" wrote in

Thanks. While it sounds good, it seems that the only advantage is that
of being able to make DR plots on paper - chartplotters do everything
else, and maybe more, than Yeoman. Right?

Yes, they do. Yeoman's don't draw on the paper. The Yeoman will store
1000 waypoints and 1000 routes, etc., just like plotters do. Go read the
online users manual.

--
Larry

This jerk called my cellphone and was nasty.
Continental Warranty -- MCG Enterprises -- Mepco-
24955 Pacific Coast HWY Suite C303
Malibu California 90265
888-244-0925
Fax: 310-456-8844
Email:
Read about them he
http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp...3&view=printer
Larry

"Dennis Pogson" wrote in
:

Having used one, I prefer the laptop, but Yeoman has it's followers who
won't use anything else..

We use The Cap'n on the notebook for main navigation and planning. The
Yeoman was "saved" by me from the dumpster. My captain left it in his
pickup truck in Atlanta in August and melted all the hotglue from the Sport
XL. It was a real mess. I saved the electronics out of it and junked the
foam pad. I cleaned the glue off with acetone then attached the big PC
board (and the daughter board with its main computer on it) to the bottom
of Amel's mahogany chart table lid. It was a near perfect fit. I used
50#/inch double sided industrial tape...two full-length strips. The puck
cable just comes out the space where the lid meets the bottom when the
Yeoman is in use. The puck stores inside, wire and all, when not in use.
You'd never know looking at the chart table the Yeoman even existed unless
you open the table lid and see the electronics under it.

The Yeoman's signal has no trouble at all reaching through a half inch of
mahogany and the whole Maptech chart book folded up so the chart we want is
on top against the fiddles. On the chart, we lay a clear plastic sheet for
drawing on with a marker. No chart book to clean off.... The puck on top
of the plastic sheet works really great.