Larry W4CSC

"Bobby" wrote in
:

Has anyone used a yeoman plotter? what are they like? are they worth
having? Bobby

My captain had the foam portable version and left it in the hot Atlanta sun
in his pickup truck, where it promptly melted all the hotglue it was put
together with. He asked me what I thought we ought to do with it. (He had
in mind junking it, the silly boy)....

I took the scanning board out of it and used industrial-strength (5 pounds
per foot) double sided foam tape and made 3 long strips as wide as the
board in the Yeoman was on the side of the board opposite the computer
daughterboard mounting. I stuck the Yeoman to the bottom of Lionheart's
mahogany chart table top close to the edge. There's a bottom and right-
side fiddle on the table top that makes a great index to hold the chart
book to for use with the Yeoman. The puck simply comes out on the left
bottom corner from under the top. Yeoman is connected to the boat's NMEA
bus so it gets whatever data is currently in use.

The signal through the 1/2" thick mahogany top is plenty strong to go all
the way through a folded back chart book and about 3/4" above the surface
of the chart on the other side. Pull the whole book hard against the
fiddle and calibrate the three points on the book already memorized
(Maptech charts) and she's ready for paper backup navigation the easy way.

Every hour we mark the chart and plot the course on the plastic overlay
under the watchful eye of the Yeoman. What a waste it would have been to
toss it.....