posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default tent-barn done

The reason I asked, when I bought the Mac, on the way home
from Boston the mast was 'pumping' like crazy going down the
interstate. I supported the middle with a milk crate and
boat cushion ontop the cabin. I later lowered the mast
crutch to where the mast almost touched the cabin top, then
used just a boat cushion. Keep an eye out for that.
Probably your mast is stronger than the flimsy Mac one.

Scotty

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
Yes, about 12.5 feet off the ground

"Scotty" wrote in message
news
Your mast isn't that high up when towing, is it?

SBV

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
The tent-barn is big. The ladder in the photo is a 10'

step.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...0097509592yLFR
eS
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

View of the outside (from house)
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...97509592uPeWqc
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scout wrote:
View of the outside (from house)
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...97509592uPeWqc
Scout

Looks like a giant quonset hut...
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in message
Scout wrote:
View of the outside (from house)
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...97509592uPeWqc
Scout

Looks like a giant quonset hut...

Yeah, it was a real bugger getting that tarp over the frame.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
I finally got my tent-barn up and the boat is secured under a roof. I
purchased it from a company called Coverquest. Here is a picture of the
unit (scroll down to 30x30x15 round)
http://www.coverquest.com/covers/ins...s/coverit2.php

I've installed another tent-garage, much smaller than this unit, and I
used it without any problems for more than 10 years. I don't have the same
feeling of confidence with this unit. I can't say that I would recommend
the company or the products they sell to anyone looking for similar types
of portable shelters.

Regarding the company: I ordered the thing back in September. I waited 10
weeks before calling to say wtf? It was only then that they told me it was
out of stock. I gave them 5 business days to have it at my door. I didn't
want my boat filled with snow and if the tent wasn't coming, I wanted to
get busy building some other protective cover. But it arrived. The trucker
laughed and said it sounded like someone at Coverquest forgot to put the
order in and blamed it on being "out of stock."

The unit was made in China, of all frigging places. Had I known that, I
would have passed on the purchase. I wasted no time and put it together
within a week. It was a lot of work for one man. The only help I had was
pulling the main tarp over the 15' tall frame. The frame was pre-drilled,
which means I had to redrill plenty.

I have a few other complaints with the unit, but the most worrisome is the
fact that the bolts that hold the 2" galvanized steel tube frame together
have a bad habit of popping their heads off. The first few surprised the
hell out of me, sounded like gunshots. And what a pain in the ass, having
to hacksaw the remains of the bolt and then replace it with a heavy duty
bolt. It's not like I overtightened the bolts either, the tubing is thin
enough that over-tightening ovals it, so I was careful there.

Ok, enough bitching. I'll post some pics of the thing later, but the boat
fits well. I'm ready for snow now, although I am prepared to get out there
and sweep the tent off, I don't think it will hold much snow. So Katy was
right about that part of the story!
Scout

I've forgotten... are you going to build a boat in it or is it for storage?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
Just for winter storage, but I'll keep other stuff in there too. With 900
square feet, I can keep a lot of junk out of the rain.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Ah... thought maybe you were going to build a boat in there...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
Just for winter storage, but I'll keep other stuff in there too. With 900
square feet, I can keep a lot of junk out of the rain.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Nah, I have lots of toys!
Scout

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..

I've forgotten... are you going to build a boat in it

or is it for
storage?

Ah... thought maybe you were going to build a boat in

there...

Nah, I have lots of sex toys!

and you're hiding them in the tent?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
Just for winter storage, but I'll keep other stuff in there too. With 900
square feet, I can keep a lot of junk out of the rain.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I could make a nice workshop in there. But it would be smarter to empty my
garage into the tent and set up shop in the garage.

Destroying that barn Tom G General 0 May 25th 06 06:49 AM
many tapes deeply taste the ugly barn Quincy ASA 0 April 22nd 05 11:47 AM
Out by the old barn [email protected] General 4 January 6th 05 01:25 PM
Barn Island Ramp, Stonington, CT will be closed... Short Wave Sportfishing General 0 March 12th 04 05:24 PM
liferaft tent material? Leo Petipas Boat Building 2 October 21st 03 11:48 AM