Default Out by the old barn

OK, This is a real querry.

I just got a lead on a "1964 38' Chris Craft sedan". It has been stored
under tarps next to a barn for about 8 years. The story goes that the
owner was refurbishing it and shortly before cvompletion he died. His
widow is now infirm and liver across the country, so the nephew is
selling it to help his aunt.

About all he knows is that it has twin 210 hp GM engines and a 5Kw
gernerator.

I have been around fiberglass sailboats all my life and I was thining
about getting a powerboat. This one is priced at $12,500, but the
seller is 'very motivated' and would consider all offers.

What should I look for before getting a surveyor? I realize that
leaving mechanical things for a long time isn' very good, but if the
price is reasonable... I just have no clue about the cost of engine
rebuilds, effects of a wooden hull sitting for that long, etc.

I'm in northern California, so the climate is mild, and it would
probably be less than a 10 mile trip by truck to the water.

Having said that, chime in with your thoughts. I'm going to look at it
later today and I'll update this posting.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply.

Eisboch

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

My wife's uncle had a similar Chris Craft years ago. He got it very cheap,
got the engines running and used it for one season until one of the engines
or transmissions (can't remember which) blew up.

It sat on blocks for years in his yard with a For Sale sign on it with no
takers. He tried to give it away. Still no takers. Finally, he bought a
good chain saw and rented a contractor's trash container. In a week it was
gone except the engines which he sold for more than he originally paid for
the boat.

Eisboch

Update:

I went out and found it by the barn. Big old silver tarp on it. The
hull was sound and sanded, mostly to bare wood (better budget for
paint...) walked along the starbpard sire looking at the undebody,
seems fine, no visible soft spots or seperated planks. In fact, the
whole hull looked remarkably solid with no visible signs of needing re
caulking.

Got around to the stern, and the first thing I noticed was.... the 5Kw
generator. The entire transom was off.

Game over.

Inside, it was mostly disassembled. It kind of looked like a woodshop
that needed cleaning at the end of the day. Oh well.

I am not sure that if someone gave it to me that I could get it back
together and have fun on it for my budget (say, $20k). With 4 kids,
I'm kind of in the hire-it-out mode, so the yard would have to do the
work. Oh well. Half the fun is looking.