posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default OT / Firefox what a buggy mess.

A friend said I should use Firefox because it was safer against viruses. So I downloaded it and I
installed it. Boy was that ever a big mistake! It's slow. It's buggy. It doesn't do half the things Internet
Explored does. It won't open anything. Animation doesn't work. It keeps putting everything downloaded
right there on the desktop. But the very worst is it hangs up and crashes the computer about six times a
day. So I got fed up and uninstalled it.
Second mistake. Firefox had took over as the default browser. When it got uninstalled it forgot to put
things back the way they used to be. Hyperlinks in Outlook Express stopped working. Error boxes with
files not found popped up on every start up. It took me most of a day Googling and fixing. I had to hand
edit about twenty file associations. That's what got the hyperlinks working again. Error boxes were mostly
because the registry was screwed up. I had to edit it. It made me type my password in each account in
Outlook Express for mail and news every time I clicked send and receive. A registry edit fixed that. I'm
becoming an expert. Google is really a life saver. So far there's no problem it didn't have an answer for.
Take my advice stick with Internet Explorer. But don't use the new one. IE 6 is better, It lets Hotmail
work like POP mail in Outlook Express it's even got all the different folders right there. Internet Explorer
7 does something that makes Hotmail refuse to work in Outlook Express. If you want tabs install MSN live
tool bar in IE 6. That way everything works again. So, after giving Firefox the boot and IE 7 the boot life
is good again.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I've been using Firefox on three computers for over a year and have
had few problems. I do keep IE around for a few sites that where
sloppy coding (on the sites) causes problems, but Amazon is the only
major where I have a problem on one machine. The only component of
Firefox that I've suspected of crashing is the PDF reader, but the
standalone PDF reader also crashes sometimes, so its hard to tell.

I also use Thunderbird as a newsreader, but Outlook for mail (best
spam filter going).

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote:

Ellen MacArthur wrote:

A friend said I should use Firefox because it was safer against
viruses. So I downloaded it and I
installed it. Boy was that ever a big mistake!

I've been using Firefox on three computers for over a year and have had
few problems.

So have many others. But some people are too inept to use anything
other than M$ spoonfed technology.

//Walt
posted to alt.sailing.asa

. ..

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
[...]

Well, Neal isn't too bright. What can you expect...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
. ..

Ellen MacArthur wrote:

[...]

I suppose the loss of being able to use little happy faces must have
been too devastating...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff wrote:

I've been using Firefox . . . and have had
few problems. * * * The only component
. . . I've suspected of crashing is the PDF reader,
but the standalone PDF reader also crashes
sometimes, so its hard to tell.

If so, why not just program Firefox to use a different PDF reader
(e.g., "Foxit")?

Ping: Firefox 1.5 users *JimH* General 1 December 10th 05 06:16 AM
Firefox Eisboch General 57 December 3rd 05 07:39 PM
Dont Mess with Texas Joe ASA 26 December 18th 03 12:54 AM