posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Binoculars

Bart wrote:

Martin Baxter wrote:
Bart wrote:

What is the technique for hanging two binoculars with straps
from the same binnacle? [1 pt]

Use the Straps?

There is a trick to this. I bet Jeff or Doug will know it.

Hint: It allows you to take off either pair without removing
the other.

I think the Trick is more in how you lift the binos of, if want the pair
that appear to be "under" just reach through the strap of the other pair
and grasp the binos you want, lifting them "out" through the straps of
the top pair and the under strap will pull free of the top strap.

Cheers
marty
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Gilligan wrote:

use of binoculars is silly. Low light conditions are where binoculars become
useful. You aren't going to hit something a mile away in a sailboat, it
takes a good part of an hour to get that far. However in dark conditions the
binoculars gather much more light than the eye. Sailboats, thankfully are
slow otherwise they would be a real hazard to navigation.

In my opinion binoculars are not useful, if you can't see anything.
The most important factors being those that help you see what
you are looking at better.

1 point to Gilligan. Light gathering is very important. Honorable
mention to Joe and CM for pointing out quality as a factor. It's
clear that you get what you pay for.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
Martin Baxter wrote:
Bart wrote:

What is the technique for hanging two binoculars with straps
from the same binnacle? [1 pt]

Use the Straps?

There is a trick to this. I bet Jeff or Doug will know it.

Hint: It allows you to take off either pair without removing
the other.

Two separate hooks, one for each?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Dave wrote:
"Bart" said:

Name the two most characteristics to look for when shopping
for binoculars? [1 point each]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned light gathering capability. That's the
main reason the Navy uses 7X50s (or at least did in my day). They provided
the best compromise of magnification and light gathering ability, coupled
with a field of view that was adequate on a moving deck.

Dunno whether the widespread availability of stabilized binoculars has
changed this.

Gilly did mention the light capability. Thanks for the input on the
Navy
specifications.

1 point to you for mentioning stablized binoculars. These are
expensive,
and worth it. A pitching deck make it hard to focus on a distant
object.

I also like binoculars that have a built in compass, but I don't think
that is
an important requirement.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Walt wrote:
Bart wrote:
Martin Baxter wrote:
Bart wrote:

What is the technique for hanging two binoculars with straps
from the same binnacle? [1 pt]

Use the Straps?

There is a trick to this. I bet Jeff or Doug will know it.

Hint: It allows you to take off either pair without removing
the other.

Two separate hooks, one for each?

No. Just one post. How do you place one on the other
without causing a tangle such that you can remove either one
without removing the other?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Did someone mention stability control? I like that feature.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...

Gilligan wrote:

use of binoculars is silly. Low light conditions are where binoculars
become
useful. You aren't going to hit something a mile away in a sailboat, it
takes a good part of an hour to get that far. However in dark conditions
the
binoculars gather much more light than the eye. Sailboats, thankfully are
slow otherwise they would be a real hazard to navigation.

In my opinion binoculars are not useful, if you can't see anything.
The most important factors being those that help you see what
you are looking at better.

1 point to Gilligan. Light gathering is very important. Honorable
mention to Joe and CM for pointing out quality as a factor. It's
clear that you get what you pay for.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote
| Following up on my earlier post, every now and then I've thought of saying
| "dip it" when throwing a line to the dock. But I haven't because I figure it
| would just confuse the line handler. Am I right? How many here would
| immediately know what to do if I threw them a line and said "dip it?"

You dip it in the water first so it gets wet. This makes the knot hold better.
Just kidding. When you dip the line you put it under somebody's else's line that's
already tied there. You should always do this so the first guy to tie up doesn't have
to untie your line to get to his. Do unto others....

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On 20 Oct 2006 09:05:35 -0700, "Bart"

said:

There is a trick to this.

Following up on my earlier post, every now and then I've

thought of saying
"dip it" when throwing a line to the dock. But I haven't

because I figure it
would just confuse the line handler.

line handler? You must have a big yacht.

Am I right? How many here would
immediately know what to do if I threw them a line and

said "dip ****?"

I'd throw it back

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote
| Following up on my earlier post, every now and then I've thought of saying
| "dip it" when throwing a line to the dock. But I haven't because I figure it
| would just confuse the line handler. Am I right? How many here would
| immediately know what to do if I threw them a line and said "dip it?"

Something else. When people don't dip their lines it tells me they're ignorant.
Or they're a power boater. Or they're rude.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Gilligan wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Capt. Rob wrote:
Name the two most characteristics to look for when shopping
for binoculars? [1 point each]

The NAVY issue stamp, and quaility optics.

Joe

The Navy had good binoculars.

They still do. My Navy MK43's made in 1942 still are super clear,
bright and have never had a drop of moisture inside them, if the optics
are coated, they still have 100% of the coating intact. JFK treasured
the pair he had on his PT boat.

Joe

Gen V Digital Binoculars Gilligan ASA 6 September 29th 06 04:13 AM
recomendations for night vision binoculars? Wayne.B Cruising 0 July 24th 06 11:42 AM
Binoculars ,, what brand, make, model, recommendation ??? Lester Evans Cruising 26 June 16th 06 10:40 PM
Image Stabilizing Binoculars AMPowers Cruising 1 June 9th 06 12:07 PM
Nikon Ocean Pro binoculars with compass [email protected] Cruising 0 January 14th 05 01:23 AM