posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Gen V Digital Binoculars

I got a chance to test out some prototype Generation V Digital Binoculars.
I'm not big on all that high tech stuff, but to the affectionado these
things reign supreme. The features a

1. Regular high quality binoculars.
2. Advanced Gen V night vision.
3. Digital camera built in.
4. Enhanced Infra red capability.
5. GPS ranging and location.

I got to use them for a three days with the GPS feature disabled. I could
see and photograph all the heat leaks on my house with the infra red, the
night vision was beyond belief and the digital camera was like a real good
commercial one.

These things would be great for sailing. You could easily find MOB at night
using IR. The GPS ranging supposedly works out to several miles so it would
be good for plotting in harbors.

The most stunning feature is that it is capable of having a built in
millimeter wavelength imaging capability added at a later date to see
through fog, dust and smoke.

They are a little heavy, they weigh about 9 lbs in the prototype form. The
projected price for these things in initial quantities is about 20K$, not
out of the range of those who could really use them. Currently these are
being built under a Phase III SBIR for the DoD.

I'm going to be working on the millimeter imaging portion so I'll have at
least 3-4 sets of these things kicking around to play with. I'll keep
everyone updated on when these become available (if ever) to the general
public.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Gilligan wrote:

I'm going to be working on the millimeter imaging portion so I'll have at
least 3-4 sets of these things kicking around to play with. I'll keep
everyone updated on when these become available (if ever) to the general
public.

Just 3 or 4? I can see the need for several crates (for destructive
testing of course ;-o), you can "dispose" of the "destroyed" material by
mailing a set to each member of this list!

Cheers
Marty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message

2. Advanced Gen V night vision.

Have you got a website on this? I've never seen anything above Gen III with
modifications.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Maxprop" wrote in message
news

"Gilligan" wrote in message

2. Advanced Gen V night vision.

Have you got a website on this? I've never seen anything above Gen III
with modifications.

Max

Here's Generation 4 sold as surplus:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightvision4th.html

Generation 5 is not publicly available.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Gilligan wrote:

Here's Generation 4 sold as surplus:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightvision4th.html

Generation 5 is not publicly available.

The Boobster should check out some of the rifle scopes these guys sell!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovsk...ope-57400.html

Only 2200 clams on sale, he could mount it on hes D50 as a rangefinder!

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in message
. ..

"Maxprop" wrote in message
news

"Gilligan" wrote in message

2. Advanced Gen V night vision.

Have you got a website on this? I've never seen anything above Gen III
with modifications.

Max

Here's Generation 4 sold as surplus:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightvision4th.html

Generation 5 is not publicly available.

Which is fine by me. I won't pay the price for the Gen 4 stuff.

Thanks for the link.

Max

recomendations for night vision binoculars? Wayne.B Cruising 0 July 24th 06 11:42 AM
Binoculars ,, what brand, make, model, recommendation ??? Lester Evans Cruising 26 June 16th 06 10:40 PM
For Digital SLR users... RG General 7 October 18th 05 04:05 PM
Nikon Ocean Pro binoculars with compass [email protected] Cruising 0 January 14th 05 01:23 AM
Digital photography & boating Harry Krause General 34 September 28th 04 10:02 PM