posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Binoculars

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Actually, and Bart will probably have to change his POV on this as I'm
100% correct, the most important factor for choosing ANY binocular set
is inter-ocular distances. This will determine if you can use them AT
ALL. No other aspect of a given optical design matters if you cannot
use both eyes. Steiner has several units that are not compatible with
all users.

What if the distance is adjustable... like on most binoculars. I think they
invented that about the same time they came up with adjustable dioptres.

CM-

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in
message . ..

visibility from the cockpit is so impeded by those big

white sails that day
use of binoculars is silly.

And those ''big white sails'' become transparent at night?

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote:

Actually, and Bart will probably have to change his POV on this as I'm
100% correct, the most important factor for choosing ANY binocular set
is inter-ocular distances. This will determine if you can use them AT
ALL.

Especially important when your eyes are spaced as widely apart as those
found on a mule, or an ass.

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On 19 Oct 2006 22:11:51 -0700, "Bart" said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned light gathering capability.

Only someone who actually used binoculars under varied and adverse
conditions would mention this. Most here are daytime fair weather sailors,
why are you surprised?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Gilligan" wrote in
message . ..

said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned light gathering

capability.

Only someone who actually used binoculars under varied and

adverse
conditions would mention this. Most here are daytime fair

weather sailors,
why are you surprised?

some here don't even own a boat. Shocking!

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Gilligan wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message
ups.com...
What is the technique for hanging two binoculars with straps
from the same binnacle? [1 pt]

Hang them from the navigator's balls.
(Quadrantial spheres for the uniniated).

Name the two most characteristics to look for when shopping
for binoculars? [1 point each]

Lens diameter and power. Too powerful you can't hold them steady. Lens
diameter indicates light gathering capability.

All that light gathering will do no good if doesn't get transmitted due
to undersized prisms.

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Martin Baxter wrote:

Bart wrote:

What is the technique for hanging two binoculars with straps
from the same binnacle? [1 pt]

Use the Straps?

Name the two most characteristics to look for when shopping
for binoculars? [1 point each]

This is going to depend on your intendended use. But the first thing is
probably to check if they have adequately sized prisms, chances are if
the manufacturer skimped on these the rest of the build quality will be
poor.

You can check prism size by holding the binoculars up in front of your
eyes at nearly arms length and look through the objective lens at a a
faily bright uniform source (like the sky or a a white wall, NOT THE
SUN). If you see what appears a bright square in a darker circle in each
objective the prisms are too small, the circle should be uniform if the
prisms are adequately sized.

Cheers
Marty

Correction: should have said "eypieces" rather than "objective lens" in
the previous passage.

Cheers
Marty
Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Dave wrote:

On 19 Oct 2006 22:11:51 -0700, "Bart" said:

Name the two most characteristics to look for when shopping
for binoculars? [1 point each]

I'm surprised no one has mentioned light gathering capability. That's the
main reason the Navy uses 7X50s (or at least did in my day). They provided
the best compromise of magnification and light gathering ability, coupled
with a field of view that was adequate on a moving deck.

Don't forget the diameter of the exit pupil, (objective dia./mag.),
should approximate the size of the pupil in the light conditions for
which you intend to use them. The 7X50s with a 7 mm exit diameter are a
fair compromise; the human pupil can open to about 9 mm in low light.
The typical 7X35 used by bird watchers have and exit pupil of 5 mm.

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Martin Baxter wrote:
"Capt. Rob" wrote:

Actually, and Bart will probably have to change his POV on this as I'm
100% correct, the most important factor for choosing ANY binocular set
is inter-ocular distances. This will determine if you can use them AT
ALL.

Especially important when your eyes are spaced as widely apart as those
found on a mule, or an ass.

Not what I was looking for Martin, but worthy of honorable mention.

Predators have their eyes on the front of their heads, while prey, have

eyes on the sides so they can be alerted to run away.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Martin Baxter wrote:
Bart wrote:

What is the technique for hanging two binoculars with straps
from the same binnacle? [1 pt]

Use the Straps?

There is a trick to this. I bet Jeff or Doug will know it.

Hint: It allows you to take off either pair without removing
the other.

Gen V Digital Binoculars Gilligan ASA 6 September 29th 06 04:13 AM
recomendations for night vision binoculars? Wayne.B Cruising 0 July 24th 06 11:42 AM
Binoculars ,, what brand, make, model, recommendation ??? Lester Evans Cruising 26 June 16th 06 10:40 PM
Image Stabilizing Binoculars AMPowers Cruising 1 June 9th 06 12:07 PM
Nikon Ocean Pro binoculars with compass [email protected] Cruising 0 January 14th 05 01:23 AM