Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Four new thru-hulls = one happy man !

I now have four new thru-hulls in ECHO, my Ericson
46. Fortunately three are above the waterline!

http://support.pacificseacraft.com/Ericson/E46.pdf

My new Yanmar engine is completely installed, but
not yet tested or run in.

I now have two high volume bilge pumps, one above
the other, on brackets that I can pull up to service.
Formerly, I could not service my electric bilge pump
without removing the engine.

My old electric pump was T'd into a cockpit drain
--not the best set up. Each of the new pumps has
its own through hull with a substantial anti-siphon
loop, run with smooth hose for low friction.

I have a new larger raw water inlet to service the new
engine, and a much larger exhaust with two anti-siphon
loops and a flapper valve thru-hull. That is like wearing
a belt, suspenders, and tie wraps to hold your pants up.
That is confidence in a rough following sea.

The flapper valve was not planned but it was the only
through-hull available for that size exhaust hose.

I have a new SS strut, new cutlass bearing, new 20" Flexifold
prop, new SS shaft, dripless packing gland, a gorgeous new
engine bed made out of solid glass that adds to the structure
of the hull. It is holding a spotless new Yanmar 75 HP engine.
This is hooked up to a newly mounted engine panel that is
protected by a waterproof hatch at an easy to observe location
adjacent to the binacle. I have a second set of guages I plan
to hook up at the companionway adjacent to the engine.

I will have to cut part of my ignition key handle off if I want
to close the hatch covering the gauges in the cockpit--I can live
with that. I have some sort of engine alarm I need to mount that
--I'm thinking about using the hole for the old engine shut off--the
new engine has an electric fuel cutoff--very nice--no more
sticking plunger engine shut-offs. The throttle and transmission
cables are both new heavy duty cable.

Everything in the auxiliary propulsion system has been replaced
except the fuel tanks--that will happen in the next few months.
I'm replacing my two old 50 gallon tanks with new ones and
perhaps adding a third. I'll decide about that after I make the
bulkhead forward of the rudderpost into a watertight to a level
above the waterline. That is going to be difficult and means
hanging upside down to tab that in. And it means two more
bilge pumps.

Also removed were two not used for many years, capped fuel
tanks--the originals. These made space for a huge muffler
about five times bigger than the old one. And gave room for the
many runs of bilge pump hose.

I still have to figure out how I'm going to run 4" air hose for
engine space ventilation, and exactly how I'll configure the
sound insulation for the engine space. I'm debating ripping the
salon apart and reconfiguring the middle of the boat.

I still have a little work on my manual bilge pump. ECHO
originally had the manual pump near the helm and it was
later moved next to the shore power--bad idea. I plan to
move it back where it was before, using a better hand pump
with a removable handle. Everyone knows why it is better
to pump your bilge by hand when sailing on the ocean--right?

All this sounds like overkill I'm sure. But consider this,
a 46' sloop with a 3/4 keel and a "too-small" rudder, is not
an easy thing to dock under sail--I've done it in light winds
and would not want to do it in adverse conditions. ECHO
is a good performing boat, but I'll admit it is a dog in a
combination of light winds and big waves. A motor is not just
a nice thing to have in a boat this size--it is a necessity. If I
ever find myself short handed and want to get somewhere on
a schedule, it will be very nice to have a reliable motor.

I'm guessing fuel consumption will be on the order of 1.2
gallons @ 6 knots. It will be interesting to see what the
fuel economy will be at hull speed ~ 8.5 knots. That would
give me a range under power of 500 miles or so. The
actually tank volume is more like 115 gallons. I left out
a 15 gallon reserve. That would be more like 575 nm.

I don't plan to motor that much when I cruise with ECHO,
however, I do want be pelagic--free floating, independent
of the outside world for as long as possible. 150 gallons
of fuel would give me 52,500 Amp-Hours of power generating
capacity if I buy one of those WhisperGen's. That 144 AH
per day for a year running it two hours a day.

The engine is predicted to need 65 HP to make hull speed.
I have 10 extra HP. So I have a bit extra to handle any
accessories I might want to add onto the engine. The
prop has 5" of clearance to the hull so I can change to a
bigger wheel (prop) if the size and pitch do not seem ideal.

Ok, so I have four more thru-hulls? Is that bad? I have a couple
I'm considering removing, and plans for a few others that are
not being used now.

free Happy Henry eBook [email protected] ASA 0 December 20th 05 03:31 PM
free Happy Henry eBook [email protected] General 0 December 20th 05 03:30 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR 2005 Bart Senior ASA 46 January 6th 05 03:15 AM
Happy Times . . .for now Michael ASA 0 July 2nd 04 12:16 AM