posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Where does it end?

That reminds me, I must have seen at least a dozen sailboats
motoring WITH the wind. Most of them were Big Bendys with
matching dodgers, biminis, sailcovers, in mast furling,
radar, and all the bells and whistles, yet, they were
motoring on a perfect sailing day. What's up with that?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

"katy" wrote
| Ya know, Chanteuse hasn't got any of the stuff mentioned

on board...but
| I am not going to sit and criticize someone else because

they either
| want, need, or just have that equipment. The important

thing is that
| they have a sailboat and that they sail.

When they get to that stage they mostly motor around.

If you sail you've seen it happen.
They hardly sail at all. They need the motor going all the

time to keep all the electrical stuff
running. Your other point about their want's or needs, I

agree a little. It's all OK if they want
to live in a house chock full of as much stuff as they can

cram in. But when their stuff spills
out into the yard and into their neighbors yard and house

then they've gone too far. That's
the point about sailboats I was making. Their stuff like

noise, exhaust fumes and stealing
your space has no business depriving you of your peace and

quiet and fresh air and privacy.

| There is only one person on
| this group who has an ulterior motive for talking about

possessions, but
| we all know his game.

That would be Capt. Rob. :-) Exactly like I'm

talking about. But in his case his stuff spills
out of the house. It runs down the wires to the internet.

It dumps out here in the news group.
And here it pollutes the peace and quiet and privacy of

many who can't stand it. But here you
can delete him. That's the remedy. You can't delete a

noisy smelly space hogging house posing
as a sailboat. You just have to put up with it or move.

Why should you have to move?

| Carping about what someone else has just shows
| what a mean spirit you have. This is not a group of

purists. If you
| want purism, go find a group that caters to

anachronistic sailing...If
| camping out in your boat is what you like, then camp.

But don't sit and
| judge those that don't suit your style.

I don't have a mean bone in my body, Katy. I don't

carp. I tell it like it is.... I don't judge
people who don't interfere with my rights. If somebody

wants to be gay what they do in the
privacy of their house doesn't bother me one teeny bit.

But when they come over and do it
on the deck of my boat they've gone to far. It's no

different with smelly exhaust, noisy
generators, loud music, shouting and public drunkenness.

It's coming over on the deck of my
boat. It's coming *inside* my boat. Are you saying your

rights aren't important? Well, I'm
saying mine are important. People need to stop being so

selfish. That guy asking about wind
generators is selfish. You can tell just by reading his

posts and his reaction when he didn't
get what *he* wanted.
The only thing you have to think about is doing unto

others as you would have them do to you.
Certainly you wouldn't anchor in front of somebody and

choke them with diesel exhaust all night
long. And only so you could be a little more comfortable.

That makes it OK to make them miserable?
That's selfish but that's how most people operate these

days. It's shameful! It's un-Christian.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
> [...]

But when they come over and do it
on the deck of my boat they've gone to far. It's no

different with smelly exhaust, noisy
generators, loud music, shouting and public drunkenness.

It's coming over on the deck of my
boat. It's coming *inside* my boat. Are you saying your

rights aren't important? Well, I'm
saying mine are important. People need to stop being so

selfish. That guy asking about wind
generators is selfish. You can tell just by reading his

posts and his reaction when he didn't
get what *he* wanted.
The only thing you have to think about is doing unto

others as you would have them do to you.
Certainly you wouldn't anchor in front of somebody and

choke them with diesel exhaust all night
long. And only so you could be a little more comfortable.

That makes it OK to make them miserable?
That's selfish but that's how most people operate these

They needed to get somewhere faster?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
A whole lot of carping, complaining, and getting in the way of others

rights....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Capt. JG wrote:
Ellen has just slept around.

I doubt it....
posted to alt.sailing.asa

DSK wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:
That's right. Get out the hammer, or better yet go natural and pick up
a rock, and smash that compass. Also, smash or remove anything that
isn't natural. Take down those Dacron sails and burn them (no matches
please), remove the aluminum mast and use something made of wood. No
stainless fasteners please. While you're at it, remove all clothing
(Scotty will like this) that isn't 100% natural fibers.

Don't forget the boat is made out of evil fiberglass. And God hates
people with indoor plumbing, too.

DSK

You finally got that toilet installed?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Yeah, I've been known to go fix the problem late at night on some other
boats in the marina. I put a nice knot in them (something they can undo
easily) but something obvious in the hope they'll get the message. No one is
ever there when I go by, so that means they put it away and left.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:57:02 -0400, katy
wrote:

Gilligan wrote:
"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

This post is absolutely brilliant. In life one should always strive to
simplify, to reduce to the essentials.

Wind generators. Solar generators. Diesel generators. Shore power
cords. Fridges. Freezers.
Air conditioners. Water heaters. Microwave ovens. Propellers. What do
all
these have to do with
sailboats? I think the answer is people like that don't want a
sailboat.
They want to put their house
inside a boat. That's OK if they just stayed far far away from people
who
don't want to be hassled
by all their commotion. And out of sight of people who don't want
houses
navigating around.
Not to mention their air pollution.

Why do anchorages these days have to smell like an airport or a
truck stop?

All the crap they must haul around with them is a form of denial. They
"enjoy" life through possessing material objects.

Why does the biggest smelliest noisiest boat always anchor right upwind
of
the fleet?
They can't seem to stay away. They get as close to you as they can.
It's as if they really want to
bother you. The one thing all boats need is a decibel meter. If it gets
higher than normal speech then
it explodes and sinks the boat.... YES! And they need a diesel fume
detector. If it goes off it empties
the holding tank into the bilge.
I always thought sailors were a quiet, uncomplicated group. I've
discovered there's way too many
selfish people who aren't sailors. They're Winnebago drivers lost on
the
water.... They're confused.
They think Spock said "the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the
few
or the many."

Cheers,
Ellen

This post is so excellent, I feel have almost ruined it by the addition
of
my comments.

When things become "commercialized" (that is, money to be made) the
entry
bar is lowered. Things are made comfortable, easy, "safe" and "fun".
There
are some things this will never happen to. Things that require great
physical expenditure and suffering. Things that only pay in contentment
and
are not fun.

Ya know, Chanteuse hasn't got any of the stuff mentioned on board...but
I am not going to sit and criticize someone else because they either
want, need, or just have that equipment. .............

I certainly will depending on the noise and smell.

I've been anchored in a protected cove with opening ports, hatches and
windscoop my method of cooling and had boats come up running
generators so they could have AC and TV and/or loud music devices.
Generally they are the same idiots who will not tie off their
halyards, let them slap against their masts all night since, with
their boats closed up, and the drone of the genset and AC, they can't
hear them.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

That's right. Even Joe's boat wouldn't qualify. Neal was right... only cedar
buckets allowed aboard.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
That's right. Get out the hammer, or better yet go natural and pick up a
rock, and smash that compass. Also, smash or remove anything that isn't
natural. Take down those Dacron sails and burn them (no matches please),
remove the aluminum mast and use something made of wood. No stainless
fasteners please. While you're at it, remove all clothing (Scotty will
like this) that isn't 100% natural fibers.

Don't forget the boat is made out of evil fiberglass. And God hates people
with indoor plumbing, too.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ellen is guy. So, no. I wouldn't enjoy it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
That's right. Get out the hammer, or better yet go natural

and pick up a
rock, and smash that compass. Also, smash or remove

anything that isn't
natural. Take down those Dacron sails and burn them (no

matches please),
remove the aluminum mast and use something made of wood.

No stainless
fasteners please. While you're at it, remove all clothing

(Scotty will like
this)

and you won't?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Frank Boettcher" wrote

| I've been anchored in a protected cove with opening ports, hatches and
| windscoop my method of cooling and had boats come up running
| generators so they could have AC and TV and/or loud music devices.
| Generally they are the same idiots who will not tie off their
| halyards, let them slap against their masts all night since, with
| their boats closed up, and the drone of the genset and AC, they can't
| hear them.

Can you beat this one? Me and a friend anchored in an out of the way little cove one
afternoon. We wanted to watch the sunset sip some wine and have a quiet night. It was great.
We were the only boat in there. About ten minutes before sunset this big ugly motor boat
comes in on a plane. He wakes us then turns and anchors about fifty feet from us. (The cove
was big enough that he could have anchored a hundred yards away easy.) Right smack dab in
the exact spot where we can't see the sunset. He totally blocked the view. He plays loud music.
He cooks some burgers on his barbeque. He has two dogs running around barking. Thank God
he left about a half hour after sunset. Can you get any more rude and selfish than that?
Hey, does Capt. Rob have a motorboat too?

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote
| Ellen is guy. So, no. I wouldn't enjoy it.

Uh huh! http://www.badongo.com/pic/295524

Cheers,
Ellen