posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Where does it end?

Wind generators. Solar generators. Diesel generators. Shore power cords. Fridges. Freezers.
Air conditioners. Water heaters. Microwave ovens. Propellers. What do all these have to do with
sailboats? I think the answer is people like that don't want a sailboat. They want to put their house
inside a boat. That's OK if they just stayed far far away from people who don't want to be hassled
by all their commotion. And out of sight of people who don't want houses navigating around.
Not to mention their air pollution. Why do anchorages these days have to smell like an airport or a
truck stop? Why does the biggest smelliest noisiest boat always anchor right upwind of the fleet?
They can't seem to stay away. They get as close to you as they can. It's as if they really want to
bother you. The one thing all boats need is a decibel meter. If it gets higher than normal speech then
it explodes and sinks the boat.... YES! And they need a diesel fume detector. If it goes off it empties
the holding tank into the bilge.
I always thought sailors were a quiet, uncomplicated group. I've discovered there's way too many
selfish people who aren't sailors. They're Winnebago drivers lost on the water.... They're confused.
They think Spock said "the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the few or the many."

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

You've anchored out in that little Nectarine boat ?

Scotty

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scotty" wrote
| You've anchored out in that little Nectarine boat ?

Many times. It's like camping out.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
[...]

What no pictures?

Oh well. Go back to your land house turn down the thermastat, turn up
the TV, and live as a slave to the grid.

BTW if you have good insulation, you cant even hear the gen-set inside
the boat, and if your airtight with AC's running you don't even smell
deisel fumes ever. If you double reef the mizzen, it will act as a wind
vain and keeps the stern exhast heading down wind away from your boat
at anchor. Now unless you live aboard without power eating your fish as
sushi you really have nothing to bitch about, your just spewing your
exhaust ashore.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

This post is absolutely brilliant. In life one should always strive to
simplify, to reduce to the essentials.

Wind generators. Solar generators. Diesel generators. Shore power
cords. Fridges. Freezers.
Air conditioners. Water heaters. Microwave ovens. Propellers. What do all
these have to do with
sailboats? I think the answer is people like that don't want a sailboat.
They want to put their house
inside a boat. That's OK if they just stayed far far away from people who
don't want to be hassled
by all their commotion. And out of sight of people who don't want houses
navigating around.
Not to mention their air pollution.

Why do anchorages these days have to smell like an airport or a
truck stop?

All the crap they must haul around with them is a form of denial. They
"enjoy" life through possessing material objects.

Why does the biggest smelliest noisiest boat always anchor right upwind of
the fleet?
They can't seem to stay away. They get as close to you as they can.
It's as if they really want to
bother you. The one thing all boats need is a decibel meter. If it gets
higher than normal speech then
it explodes and sinks the boat.... YES! And they need a diesel fume
detector. If it goes off it empties
the holding tank into the bilge.
I always thought sailors were a quiet, uncomplicated group. I've
discovered there's way too many
selfish people who aren't sailors. They're Winnebago drivers lost on the
water.... They're confused.
They think Spock said "the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the few
or the many."

Cheers,
Ellen

This post is so excellent, I feel have almost ruined it by the addition of
my comments.

When things become "commercialized" (that is, money to be made) the entry
bar is lowered. Things are made comfortable, easy, "safe" and "fun". There
are some things this will never happen to. Things that require great
physical expenditure and suffering. Things that only pay in contentment and
are not fun.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

"Scotty" wrote
| You've anchored out in that little Nectarine boat ?

Many times. It's like camping out.

As opposed to camping in?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ellen MacArthur wrote:

[...]

What about mauve upholstery?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in

message

reenews.ne
t...

Why do anchorages these days have to smell like an

airport or a
truck stop?

You've slept at truck stops?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Gilligan wrote:
[...]

Ya know, Chanteuse hasn't got any of the stuff mentioned on board...but
I am not going to sit and criticize someone else because they either
want, need, or just have that equipment. The important thing is that
they have a sailboat and that they sail. There is only one person on
this group who has an ulterior motive for talking about possessions, but
we all know his game. Carping about what someone else has just shows
what a mean spirit you have. This is not a group of purists. If you
want purism, go find a group that caters to anachronistic sailing...If
camping out in your boat is what you like, then camp. But don't sit and
judge those that don't suit your style.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

katy wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
[...]

oh...we do have a propeller...a two blade...whoop-dee....