posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Displacement Plus Ballest ?

When I see that a boat has a Displacement of 4550 and the ballast is
1900, should I think the overall weight of the boat is 4550 or 6450?
thanks
RogueIT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnage

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"RogueIT" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I see that a boat has a Displacement of 4550 and the ballast is
1900, should I think the overall weight of the boat is 4550 or 6450?
thanks
RogueIT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Displacement Plus Ballast ?

Jon?

You brought a third term into the question. The Tonnage term only
confuses the issue farther.

Jon, read the Subject Header; "Displacement Plus Ballast?" You are
buying a new Boat, and have a CG Captains Title. To get it Yacht
Registered, it will have to List its displacement weight.

Answer the question that was asked. Does Total Displacement Weight
Include keel weight or not. It sounds like a simple question, why must
"Tunnage" enter the discuss? Are you going to carry cargo in you
"Saber"? Was it designed to cargo carrying capabilities?

I do think, and I may be wrong, but once a boat is designed, the
calculated weight of the water that it displaces is what is used for
Documentation. That would include the keel as a displacement weight of
water and the weight of the engine as a displacement of the weight of
water as well as all fittings rudders, etc.

That is displacement "Weight", sometimes (Often) refer to a Volume.

That would mean the ballast weight would be included in Displacement
Weight.

Now, Rogue, this is an old man explanation and it may have edges that
can be pick at but IT HAS WORKED FOR ME,

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

It's already been answered. I provided more information. I've already bought
a used boat. I know the answer.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

So displacement is the actual weight in pounds?
I quote from wikipedia
"Displacement is the actual total weight of the vessel." but I have
always tried to make things more complicated than they really are.

thanks,
RogueIT

Scotty wrote:
4550 , the ballast is listed to give you an idea of
stability, or ''ballast to weight ratio''.

SBV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Scotty wrote:
4550 , the ballast is listed to give you an idea of
stability, or ''ballast to weight ratio''.

SBV

Good answer Scotty.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"RogueIT" wrote
| When I see that a boat has a Displacement of 4550 and the ballast is
| 1900, should I think the overall weight of the boat is 4550 or 6450?

You should think the overall weight is both added together. And, that's
probably on the light side because that's *empty* weight.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

"RogueIT" wrote
| When I see that a boat has a Displacement of 4550 and

the ballast is
| 1900, should I think the overall weight of the boat is

4550 or 6450?

You should think the overall weight is both added

together. And, that's
probably on the light side because that's *empty* weight.

You should think again.

Scotty