posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Displacement Plus Ballest ?

"Scotty" wrote

| You should think again.

Oh heck. I "screwed the pooch" again. I just don't know what I was thinking.
I know displacement includes the ballast. So I was thinking to add the two. But,
they're already added together. That's the ballast and the rest of the boat is
already added together. So you were right and I was wrong. Make you happy?
But, don't think we're even. I've been right much more often than you are....

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

"Scotty" wrote

| You should think again.

Oh heck. I "screwed the pooch" again. I just don't

know what I was thinking.
I know displacement includes the ballast. So I was

thinking to add the two. But,
they're already added together. That's the ballast and the

rest of the boat is
already added together. So you were right and I was wrong.

Make you happy?

No, but it does make me feel superior. Thanks.

But, don't think we're even. I've been right much more

often than you are....

You've also been wrong more times than me.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I didn't realize that was possible... :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

"Scotty" wrote

| You should think again.

Oh heck. I "screwed the pooch" again. I just don't

know what I was thinking.
I know displacement includes the ballast. So I was

thinking to add the two. But,
they're already added together. That's the ballast and the

rest of the boat is
already added together. So you were right and I was wrong.

Make you happy?

No, but it does make me feel superior. Thanks.

But, don't think we're even. I've been right much more

often than you are....

You've also been wrong more times than me.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

There are two different kinds of ballast being referred to in this thread.
In a modern sailing yacht the ballast is fixed as part of a vessel and
cannot be eliminated from its displacement tonnage. However, in commercial
vessels and some older types of yacht the ballast is inside and can
therefore be removed, giving the vessel a reduced displacement. Many such
vessels, having discharged cargo and lacking further cargo, must take on
ballast in order to be seaworthy to go on to their next destination.
"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in
message
reenews.ne
t...

"RogueIT" wrote
| When I see that a boat has a Displacement of 4550 and

the ballast is
| 1900, should I think the overall weight of the boat is

4550 or 6450?

You should think the overall weight is both added

together. And, that's
probably on the light side because that's *empty* weight.

You should think again.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Displacement Plus Ballast ?

OK Edgar,

I'll ask the question. On internal ballast; are you talking about the
weight of the ballast itself or are you talking about the weight of the
water that the "Internal Ballast" caused to be DISPLACED.

Also; What are you referring to when you say " Displacement 'tonnage"
What are you weighing? Ballast or displaced water? Displacement Tunnage
(correct spelling) is a Volume measurement.

As Ellen stated, Displacement "Tonnage" should be "Tunnage" a Volume
measurement. Hull Displacement is the weight of the water displaced by
the hull
There are two DIFFERENT DISPLACEMENTS mistakenly being described by a
single term

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
OK Edgar,

I'll ask the question. On internal ballast; are you talking about the
weight of the ballast itself or are you talking about the weight of the
water that the "Internal Ballast" caused to be DISPLACED.

They are the same. Add a ton of ballast and you displace a ton of water as
the boat sinks down to a new draft

Also; What are you referring to when you say " Displacement 'tonnage"
What are you weighing? Ballast or displaced water?

Following from my answer above I am talking about the weight of displaced
water which is equally the weight of the boat. I could have left out the
word 'tonnage' which seems to cause confusion.

Displacement Tunnage
(correct spelling) is a Volume measurement.

As to the spelling, well, I am an Englishman despite living now in Norway
and that is how we spell 'tonnage'. In English a 'tun' is a large wine cask
or vat holding 252 (English!) gallons. Not often seen outside the winery
itself