posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Bob Crantz was Right!!!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's not exactly the boat we're looking for, but I'm
half tempted to buy it if for no other reason than to shut Bubbles
up.

Why is that? I like the 41s5 and looked at one for a bit at the time
Suzanne was thinking of a new C&C 99. The 41s5 was more boat for about
the same money. We made the right choice. The 35s5 is plenty of boat
for our daysailing, fast and fun. The interior is just right. The
bigger 41s5 would have been way too much for now and a C&C 99's
performance wasted on our timid sailing with Thomas on board.

Read: you couldn't afford either one.

You might
want something more classic looking, but there is no doubt that a 45s5
sails great and has a wonderful interior.
We had one two years ago here
as a long term transient from Germany. Her owner had made Atlantic
crossings with her several times and loved the boat.

The 41s5 is fast and weatherly, but it still has those odd, arcane looks.
You know, like the 35s5.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Maxprop wrote:
Last week I drove to see another one near Chicago, but it, too, was in sad
shape with lots of equipment stripped off and sold, apparently. No
spinnaker pole (!), no sails beyond the original, blown-out main, genny, and
a torn spinnaker for which there is no pole (!), and a mount for KVH
instruments, but no instruments (!). And a big, gaping hole where a propane
stove/oven once resided. Price was okay, but the boat disappointing.

The problem with a boat like that is the delay in getting
what you want; but from my POV it's the only way to get a
boat like that (unless you're really rich enough to just
call up the factory & order one).

You'd want new sails, a new carbon pole, and new instruments
anyway. Sure it's expensive but the price of the boat
reflects that... the rest of it should be bankable 'sweat
equity.'

We're still looking, however.

Patience is a virtue!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Read: you couldn't afford either one.

Uh, okay. If you say so.

The 41s5 is fast and weatherly, but it still has those odd, arcane looks.

You know, like the 35s5.

If you prefer more typical looking designs, or classic looks, these
boats are not for you. Nothing wrong with that at all. I like the "odd
arcane" looks. No one mistakes her for a Catalina, Hunter, Saber,
Tartan or much else out there. Most people (so far) find her quite
attractive above and below deck. The best part is that we've made great
use of her in our first season and her big swimplatform has become a
favorite feature for Thomas and Suzanne. I love the helm...and finally
a cabin built for taller folk like myself.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

In article .net,
Maxprop wrote:
The Baltics we've examined seem to fall into two groups--1) beat to Hell,
and 2) pristine with an astronomical price. Nothing in between. We flew to
Annapolis a month ago to look at three, but only got to see two as one owner
was cruising in his. The first was impressive, but priced so far over BUC
that we'd never be able to recoup even a decent fraction of our investment
when parting with it. The second was so severely neglected that it would
require in excess of $75K to bring it back to reasonable condition. Of
course the brokerage misrepresented the second one ("very clean and
well-maintained"), and told us the absent boat would be there as well. So
much for those idiots.

Last week I drove to see another one near Chicago, but it, too, was in sad
shape with lots of equipment stripped off and sold, apparently. No
spinnaker pole (!), no sails beyond the original, blown-out main, genny, and
a torn spinnaker for which there is no pole (!), and a mount for KVH
instruments, but no instruments (!). And a big, gaping hole where a propane
stove/oven once resided. Price was okay, but the boat disappointing.

A friend of mine just bought a B44. It's in decent shape but did need
some work. He single-hands it out here. I believe there's a pic of him
on a previous version of Latitude 38.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

Another Loss for Bob Crantz Capt. Rob ASA 4 August 17th 06 03:58 AM
Reverend Crantz is not Bob Crantz Bob Crantz ASA 1 July 28th 06 05:08 AM
Crantz: The only real sailor left Bluto ASA 7 March 30th 06 03:37 AM
Bob Crantz has NO BOAT! Capt. Rob ASA 17 January 27th 06 11:42 PM
Crantz in a Dizzy! Capt. Rob ASA 1 December 5th 05 11:46 AM