posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default The 100 yard rule

Capt. JG wrote:
I believe you should hail them and state your intentions. Otherwise, they'll
hail you (with bullets).

Correct, Ch 16 just ask permission from the ship or it's escort.

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have to pass closer that 100 yards from a US Navy ship, How can
you do it legally today with the homeland security rules in place?.

How large is the Navy Vessel Protection Zone ? and at what distance to
a US Navy ship do you have to go at a minimum speed?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

DSK wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:

I believe you should hail them and state your intentions. Otherwise, they'll
hail you (with bullets).

At our marina there is a big poster saying that the
exclusion zone around military vessels is 500 yards.

Homeland security says the protection zone is 500 yrds(slow speed only)
and 100 yrds is the exclusion zone.

Joe

There are a couple of "interesting" spots along the ICW such
as the area around Norfolk Naval Base, the main ICW channel
goes right along the piers and there is military/gov't
activity on both sides. This part of the channel is
regularly patrolled by armed small boats and helicopters.

Then there is the Onslow Beach area that is used by both
Navy and Marines for exercises, such as amphib exercises and
artillery training. We've been putt-putting down the canal
through here and seen a bunch of amphibs rumble out of the
woods and into the water, across the canal and up onto land
on the other side. Interesting to watch but we stopped
immediately and waited until they'd cleared the area.
Unfortunately they weren't listening to VHF. The artillery
guys do broadcast warnings on VHF plus there is a large sign
with flashing yellow lights.

Then there is the military depot near Wilmington. The ICW
doesn't go past it, but the ICW channel does merge with the
Cape Fear river sea channel right at the spot where the
depot shipping channel splits off into their basin. A lot of
people follow the wrong markers and end up being escorted
out of the basin by security boats with .50cals aimed at
them.... these guys are *very* touchy when a big ship is

It has occasionally happened that we sail through an
exercise operation with several ships, usually we get a few
aircraft flying over to check us out. The Navy is very good
about radio communications... wonder why...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Donal wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have to pass closer that 100 yards from a US Navy ship, How can
you do it legally today with the homeland security rules in place?.

How large is the Navy Vessel Protection Zone ? and at what distance to
a US Navy ship do you have to go at a minimum speed?

A few years ago, there was a big event in the Solent that featured US
warships. An exclusion zone was in force around the US ships. As I
approached the USS Enterprise (IIRC??), I noticed that she had a RIB out on
the water keeping other boats at bay. As the RIB was busy at her stern, I
sailed under her bow. I was amazed at the clearance between the top of my
mast and the bow of that ship!!! It was absolutely enormous. Nobody shot
at us, although a guy did shake his fist (or was it a gun) at us.

You are lucky they did not have the anchor ready to let go !

Before 9-11 I use to take my dink to Morgan's Point were the container
ships are unloaded, we would stop and stand on the bulb bows, moter
between the prop and rudder, go in and out of every slip just checking
things out....and you could go 2 blocks under the docks X 1+ miles long
like the bat cave or something, lot's of fun. No one ever noticed us or
cared.

Joe

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa

yeah, but I don't get any points..

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have to pass closer that 100 yards from a US Navy ship, How can
you do it legally today with the homeland security rules in place?.

How large is the Navy Vessel Protection Zone ? and at what distance to
a US Navy ship do you have to go at a minimum speed?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Like this... taken back in 2000.

"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Donal wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Capt. JG wrote:
Like this... taken back in 2000.

Yelp... That a helo ship..whats the name? You guys just off Oakland?

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Donal wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You know I can't remember the name. It was off Treasure Island kinda half
way between the island and SF.

That was a great day... Blue Angels were out and about.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...

Capt. JG wrote:
Like this... taken back in 2000.

Yelp... That a helo ship..whats the name? You guys just off Oakland?

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Donal wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

OK, I'll take a closer look at the regs here. I wonder if
it's different in different ports. It also may be the poster
at our marina was issued just after Sept 11th and the rules
was stricter.

DSK

Capt. JG wrote:
This was in the LNtM:

A 100-yard security zone is in place surrounding all cruise ships, tank
vessels, or any other vessel that the U.S. Coast Guard deems to be a
high interest vessel within San Francisco Bay, Monterey Bay and Humboldt
Bay. A security zone is in place around all U.S. Naval Vessels greater
than 100-feet in length within the navigable waters of the U.S. This
permanent protection zone extends 100-yards around all naval vessels and
it includes a 500-yard slow zone in which all mariners must operate at
the minimum speed necessary.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

That was from one a while back, but I doubt much as changed. It would have
been fairly easy to miss, except that it got a lot of press in the local
sailing community.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com