posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default The 100 yard rule

Like this... taken back in 2000.

"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Donal wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you have to pass closer that 100 yards from a US Navy ship, How can
you do it legally today with the homeland security rules in place?.

How large is the Navy Vessel Protection Zone ? and at what distance to
a US Navy ship do you have to go at a minimum speed?

A few years ago, there was a big event in the Solent that featured US
warships. An exclusion zone was in force around the US ships. As I
approached the USS Enterprise (IIRC??), I noticed that she had a RIB out
on
the water keeping other boats at bay. As the RIB was busy at her stern,
sailed under her bow. I was amazed at the clearance between the top of
my
mast and the bow of that ship!!! It was absolutely enormous. Nobody
shot
at us, although a guy did shake his fist (or was it a gun) at us.

You are lucky they did not have the anchor ready to let go !

Before 9-11 I use to take my dink to Morgan's Point were the container
ships are unloaded, we would stop and stand on the bulb bows, moter
between the prop and rudder, go in and out of every slip just checking
things out....and you could go 2 blocks under the docks X 1+ miles long
like the bat cave or something, lot's of fun. No one ever noticed us or
cared.

Joe

Regards

Donal