posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Manual or Electric Head? It is time to Replace.

"Ken" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 19:53:46 +0200, "Edgar"

wrote:

If you did any serious sailing you would realise that you

still have to
train your guests to open and then shut seacocks before

and after use or one
day you are going to have a flood. If your head is below

the water line you
do not even have to be sailing for this to be a

necessity.
Edgar

And if you did any serious sailing you would know that

some boats are
equipped with holding tanks and do not require that

seacocks be opened
or closed by guests.

So, where does the flush water come from?

Scotty, a non serious sailor

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Well, I did say serious sailing and to me that means offshore. Ok, if you
want to let them fill the holding tank when it is perfectly acceptable to
send it straight overboard.

wrote:

If you did any serious sailing you would realise that you still have to
train your guests to open and then shut seacocks before and after use or

one
day you are going to have a flood. If your head is below the water line

you
do not even have to be sailing for this to be a necessity.
Edgar

And if you did any serious sailing you would know that some boats are
equipped with holding tanks and do not require that seacocks be opened
or closed by guests.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katysails" wrote ...

If you flush while off
shore power and und sail,

Not a problem for bob.

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I agree. In the long term for distance cruising, manual is better. It
doesn't take long to teach someone how to use a manual head. We had an
electric for about 1000 miles. It worked, but people felt that they could
put regular TP in it, and as a result it jammed a few times. They're nice at
the dock or for day sails, but after that they're a PITA (no pun intended).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"katysails" wrote in message
Having had both, I'd opt for the manual hands down. If you flush while
off
shore power and und sail, the drain on the battery is tremeous...
"Ken" wrote in message

I had a rather unpleasant experience sailing on July 4th. One of my
guests managed to break the head while pumping. On the up-stroke he
completely separated the top of the pump assembly tearing out six
screws in the process. Since the price of a new pump is only a few
dollars less than the price of a new toilet I decided to replace. I
removed the old Jabsco compact manual toilet and went to West Marine
where a sales person highly recommended the Jabsco Compact Electric
Toilet. This is an extra $400 over the manual model but I started to
think that it might not be a bad idea. To be honest, I am getting
tired of explaining the workings of a marine toilet to guests who
manage to forget everything you told them when they actually go to use
the head. Everyone knows how to push a button. I certainly don't want
a repeat of the July 4th fiasco. So here are my questions for anyone
who has installed this electric toilet. Are you happy with it? I
notice that all the photos of this toilet show the motor on the back
of the toilet, is it adjustable so that it will work to the right
(while facing the toilet) where there is more room on my boat? Any and
all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ken

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Cedar bucket. Period.

Respectfully
Adm. Neil®

--
None of you have any sense

"Ken" wrote in message

[...]
::
:: Ken

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Admeril Neil®" wrote

Cedar bucket. Period.

Only for guys too lazy to fix their head(s).

None of you have any sense

Glad you could join us, you found you match, I see.

LP

A Commodores Meanderings: Part 2 RGrew176 General 0 August 3rd 04 03:03 AM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Manual marine head Gould 0738 Cruising 61 May 13th 04 11:06 PM
Manual marine head Peggie Hall Boat Building 27 April 21st 04 10:41 PM