posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ken Ken is offline

Default Manual or Electric Head? It is time to Replace.

I had a rather unpleasant experience sailing on July 4th. One of my
guests managed to break the head while pumping. On the up-stroke he
completely separated the top of the pump assembly tearing out six
screws in the process. Since the price of a new pump is only a few
dollars less than the price of a new toilet I decided to replace. I
removed the old Jabsco compact manual toilet and went to West Marine
where a sales person highly recommended the Jabsco Compact Electric
Toilet. This is an extra $400 over the manual model but I started to
think that it might not be a bad idea. To be honest, I am getting
tired of explaining the workings of a marine toilet to guests who
manage to forget everything you told them when they actually go to use
the head. Everyone knows how to push a button. I certainly don't want
a repeat of the July 4th fiasco. So here are my questions for anyone
who has installed this electric toilet. Are you happy with it? I
notice that all the photos of this toilet show the motor on the back
of the toilet, is it adjustable so that it will work to the right
(while facing the toilet) where there is more room on my boat? Any and
all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Ken
posted to alt.sailing.asa

You might want to try asking Peggy Hall on rec.boats.cruising.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Ken" wrote in message

[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Everyone knows how to push a button. I certainly don't want
a repeat of the July 4th fiasco.

We had an electric head on our C&C 32 and it was 100% reliable and no
problem for anyone. On our current Beneteau we have the conventional
pump head and it's a PIA to explain it's workings to people and simply
less effective. We're converting to the electric before next season. If
you have a lot of guests, it's VERY worthwhile.
Ours had no provision for pumping if power failed. We never drained our
batteries flat, but I could see how a manual backup is not a bad idea.
If you own a boat with two heads, I'd keep one as a manual, which is
what my friend did on his Tayana. Good luck!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Swab Rob" the racist wrote

On our current Beneteau we have the conventional
pump head and it's a PIA to explain it's workings
to dumb white people.
We're converting to the electric before next season. If
you have a lot of black guests, it's VERY worthwhile.

RB
35s5 ...''Soultrain''
NYC Bro !

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Having had both, I'd opt for the manual hands down. If you flush while
off
shore power and und sail, the drain on the battery is tremeous...

This is bad advice. The power drain is actually small and Katy does not
know the power setup of the boat at all. If she had it and it drained
her batteries, then she simply didn't know how to configure her house
supply.
An electric head makes plenty of sense if you have set it up correctly.
Our 35s5 has three group 27's and it will be no problem. The best setup
is with boats that have two heads so you can designate one for guests
with the electric.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

This is bad advice. The power drain is actually small and Katy does not
know the power setup of the boat at all. If she had it and it drained
her batteries, then she simply didn't know how to configure her house
supply.

Draws 250 watts peak:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/boate...37045-data.pdf

150 watts continuous. That's over 10 amps.

The top of the line deep cycle battery can do 10 amps for about 2 hours.
Assuming one minute flushes, that 120 flushes using 60 gallons of water.

An electric head makes plenty of sense if you have set it up correctly.
Our 35s5 has three group 27's and it will be no problem. The best setup
is with boats that have two heads so you can designate one for guests
with the electric.

Three toilets! Is that enough?

Talk about a lady's boat.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You seem to be assuming that with an electric head all you have to do is to
tell your guests to press the button when they are ready to flush.
If you did any serious sailing you would realise that you still have to
train your guests to open and then shut seacocks before and after use or one
day you are going to have a flood. If your head is below the water line you
do not even have to be sailing for this to be a necessity.
Edgar
"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

An electric head makes plenty of sense if you have set it up correctly.
Our 35s5 has three group 27's and it will be no problem. The best setup
is with boats that have two heads so you can designate one for guests
with the electric.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Edgar" wrote

If you did any serious sailing

Bwahahahahah Oh my Edgar, you *are* the funny one today.

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ken Ken is offline

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 19:53:46 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

If you did any serious sailing you would realise that you still have to
train your guests to open and then shut seacocks before and after use or one
day you are going to have a flood. If your head is below the water line you
do not even have to be sailing for this to be a necessity.
Edgar

And if you did any serious sailing you would know that some boats are
equipped with holding tanks and do not require that seacocks be opened
or closed by guests.

A Commodores Meanderings: Part 2 RGrew176 General 0 August 3rd 04 03:03 AM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Manual marine head Gould 0738 Cruising 61 May 13th 04 11:06 PM
Manual marine head Peggie Hall Boat Building 27 April 21st 04 10:41 PM