posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default newbie has a stupid question.

We recently became the proud owner of a Neptune 16. We are keeping it
in the water on a lake in NE Washington. I've made a sailcover for the
main but find that the mainsail (which has a rope luff that goes in the
mast slot), comes out of the slot when I lower the sail. Is there some
sort of sail "stop" made for this type of rigging so I won't have to
thread the sail into the slot every time? Or is there some sort of
improvised thingie that would do the job?

Also...As we are keeping the boat in the water for the season, any
suggestions on what I should be doing to keep boat in good shape.
(Like....should I remove the rudder or leave it in the water? Raise
the outboard out of the water every day? We will probably be using
boat 2 or 3 times a week.

Appreciate any suggestions. As Hubby is disabled, I'm doing it all
myself and would like to not make any stupid mistakes. Thanks!

Sandy

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"sandy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

What year is your boat?

Place a very tight bungee cord around the mast just above the gooseneck to
prevent the sail from feeding out.

Remove the small fiberglass cover on the cockpit deck in front of the cabin
door and check your centerboard bolt. Make sure it isn't bent and has the
nut on it. People have lost keels on Neptune 16s. Some of those covers are
glued down tight, it is an ordeal to remove them.

The rudder is glass/epoxy coated but if it has any dings in it keep it out
of the water.

Make sure the topside is water tight, there are no limber holes in the bilge
and it could be a tough one to drain out if it does get water in it.

I'd remove the outboard when not in service, it clamps to the hull on two
thin wooden strips and I wouldn't want to load the hull.

Make sure your cockpit seat storage hatch is held down. Should you capsize,
it will open and you'll flood and sink.

Lube up the keel clamp bolt, it is useful if you sail in high winds it will
keep you from sinking..

Make sure the keel winch cable does not bind.

Rig up an anchor line to the front eyebolt that you can pull in from the
cockpit so you don't have to go forward.

If you sail in water of sufficient depth you may want to remove the keel
winch altogether so it is not in the way. Just the leave cable coming up
through the cockpit floor and crimp a loop into it.

It's a tricky boat to center on the trailer if you have no guides.

All the cleats are anchored with small washers. You may want to re-anchor
them with metal plate or wood.

The outhaul pinches off into a vee jammer cleat. Replace it with a jam
cleat. In high winds you'll never get the line out of the vee jam.

Put a boom vang on it. In stronger winds the booms lifts and that sail can
overload the boat.

Move the outhaul pulley as far out on the boom as you can, otherwise you may
never be able to flatten the sail.

The battens on the main can easily get hung up in the single strand
stainless mast standing rigging as it tapers back the mast below the
spreaders. Be careful pulling the sail down. Use a downhaul and keep the
boom centered.

The tiller hits the top of the transom when it is pushed down (and not too
hard at that). Raise the rudder assembly 1/4- 1/2 inch or so.

If you don't have one add a topping lift.

Keep the door and hatch closed and bolted. If you get knocked down with them
off you will sink.

If you have kids aboard make sure they wear life jackets.

Glory!

Bob Crantz

I own no boat!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

There is an item you can buy at West Marine that makes sure the bolt rope is
fed properly in the track. It's not cheap... $50 I believe. I had one on my
Cal 20 and used it with the same situation. I just put a knot in the halyard
at the longest point when lowering the sail, so the bolt rope wouldn't exit
the track... seemed to work fine in combination with the feed...

Definitely remove the rudder if it isn't painted. It'll grow stuff faster
than you think. Definitely raise the outboard after every use. Be sure to
run fresh water through it (you can get "ear muffs" designed for this,
depending on the engine, or you can do it manually as best as you can).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"sandy" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"sandy" wrote in message
ups.com...
We recently became the proud owner of a Neptune 16. We

are keeping it
in the water on a lake in NE Washington. I've made a

sailcover for the
main but find that the mainsail (which has a rope luff

that goes in the
mast slot), comes out of the slot when I lower the sail.

Is there some
sort of sail "stop" made for this type of rigging so I

won't have to
thread the sail into the slot every time? Or is there

some sort of
improvised thingie that would do the job?

Slugs and shackles. You're not racing, are you? You can use
the screw on type, very easy to install. Then your sail
stays in the slot all the time and the sail raises and
lowers faster / easier. I did this to my small boat and it
made a big difference. They're cheap, too.

Get them here; http://www.sailrite.com/

shackles - http://tinyurl.com/hvl7t

slugs - http://tinyurl.com/hvl7t

Get the right size for your mast slot.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Get the right size for your mast slot.

Ask a stupid question, get a Scotty Potty answer.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

What does RB stand for? Rubber [Broken]?

Maybe you should change your signature block to

Capt BR (Capt Broken Rubber)

Yes I did mean Rubber--not Rudder--allthough that might
fit too.

Capt. Rob wrote:
Get the right size for your mast slot.

Ask a stupid question, get a Scotty Potty answer.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

If I understand your question, the thing you need is called a sail
stop.

Yep, the sail stop is also known as the Siedlemann 30.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"G&G" wrote in message
. ..
If I understand your question, the thing you need is

called a sail stop.
GW

With a rope luff?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

You have to remove the sail every time with that sort of setup because you
will find out that, unlike the alternative system of external track and
slides, there is nowhere for the rope luff of the mainsail to gather up
ssince it is held straight in the slot.
It can be a bit slow hoisting the main when you are doing it alone as you
need one hand to feed the sail in and the other is occupied pulling the
halyard. The halyard hand can only pull 3 feet or so before you have to use
both hands to enable you to take a fresh grip.
There are devices available to help with the feed-in of the luff rope but
you will still probably have to assist manually from time to time as the
sail will tend to be spread well out and give a poor lead into the feeder.
Yes, remove the rudder or it will be trying o break loose every time a wash
comes in and if you remove it you will not need to paint it with
antifouling.
Also tilt the outboard out of the water after use or all manner of marine
growth will take holdand ifiltrate the water intake to cause problems
Edgar

ups.com...