posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Any recommendations for a 35 foot cruiser?

Carcharias wrote:
Any recommendations for a 35 foot cruiser?

For a nice all around offshore cruiser consider building a Bruce
Roberts 35A . Mild steel, long fin keel, skeg mounted rudder, aft
cockpit. The boat has a large amount of interior space. You can
customize the boat to meet your needs. The cockpit is long enough fo a
large person to take a comfortable nap. No wasted space aft.

This style of hull has tremendous strength and the fin keel offers good
windward ability. The steel hull will absorb shock and bend with impact
where fiberglass would crush and tear. This makes real sailors feel
much better when sailing at night when it's possible to hit a partially
submerged object such as a floating log or shipping container

Length: 35 ft. 6 in. LOA
LWL: 27 feet 6 inches
Beam: 11 ft. 0 inches
Draft: 5 ft. 6 in.
Displacement: 13,200 lbs.
Hull: Mild Steel
Spars: Aluminum
Engine: Inboard
Head: Standard
Galley. 3-burner, oven
Designer: Bruce Roberts

Robert also has a nice full keel Spray design.

You are dead right about the Bend-a toes.

Good Luck!

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

You are dead right about the Bend-a toes

And that makes Doug dead wrong, Joe. Good work!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Or do you use published data and facts?

Joe, how often have you sailed the Bruce Roberts design and how far?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Joe wrote:
This style of hull has tremendous strength and the fin keel offers good
windward ability.

Not necessarily.

... The steel hull will absorb shock and bend with impact
where fiberglass would crush and tear.

Again, not necessarily. Fiberglass is a very nice material
in that you can specify what modulus you want... it is now
used in tank armor, for example.

Sven Lundin wrote about building test panels of foam-core
fiberglass that would absorb shots from 40mm cannon. His
boats are rather unconventional, and far too small for most
people to be comfortable long-term cruising... but it would
be difficult to imagine a stronger & more seaworthy vessel.

.... This makes real sailors feel
much better when sailing at night when it's possible to hit a partially
submerged object such as a floating log or shipping container

More than a few production boats include a Kevlar laminate,
which would also be proof against such collisions. Or, if
you don't like any of them, you could add a layer of Kevlar
to a boat whose design you liked.

Robert also has a nice full keel Spray design.

Pete Culler built what is probably the most accurate Spray
replica, and he said (while fond of the boat) that it was
slow as a barn. Nor is Spray a good design for offshore
sailing, it has rather low reserve stability. Remember that
Slocum was lost at sea!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Capt. Rob wrote:
Or do you use published data and facts?

Joe, how often have you sailed the Bruce Roberts design and how far?

I've sailed aboard several Roberts designed boats, even been on a
traweler of his design.

That model, never...but Bruce designs nice steel kits.... and the guy
was asking for 35 ft cruisers.

If he were to use a ball hammer and dimple his hull like I did, he can
get the 35A up to 13 maybe 15 knots.

Joe

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Dave wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:39:13 -0400, Charlie Morgan said:

So far, you are not impressing me very much.

Frankly, I don't think anybody here gives a damn about impressing you.

No doubt, the goober is sucking up to boneheads trolls, and has a
personal fleet.
"mostly sailboats".

You know about birds of a feather flocking together.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Charlie Morgan wrote:

What a pleasant and educated fellow!

Oh boo hoo...A thin skinned spelling nazi.

Joe

CWM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Remember that
Slocum was lost at sea!

Don't worry, Joe is lost is the Rustoleum section at Walmart.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 09:06:45 GMT, "John Cairns"
wrote:

"Carcharias" wrote in message
oups.com...
Any recommendations for a 35 foot cruiser?

http://www.mindspring.com/~sailing_fool/

Slightly bigger than 35', but not by much.

http://old.cruisingworld.com/ssbk/tart37.htm

If you know anything about PHRF ratings, I've seen a number as low as 126
associated with this boat. They are mainly centerboard boats, though there
are a few deep fin keels and shoal scheel keels out there. Only downside is
that they are relatively pricey, considering their age.

John Cairns

Based on an earlier inquiry, that's where I was headed before I came
to my senses with regard to the whole concept of what I needed in a
boat.

It has everything I was looking for. reasonable draft (bd.up) in a
good sized boat, skeg protected rudder and good performance.

While I've never sailed one, I would expect a fairly nuetral helm with
good control to weather.

May still go there some day, but not for now.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Step up 5 feet to hit your requirements... I'd strongly recommend a Niagara
35. Solid fast racer cruiser. They have a design with crew berths beside the
companionway, The galley and head are backed to each other amidships. Makes
for easy and simple plumbing.The forward cabin/Galley can be closed off from
the active section.Large sail locker up front. Rod Rigging. Fin Keeler. Your
7 knot average requirement is achievable with this boat.

Good Luck

CM

"Carcharias" wrote in message
ps.com...
I should have been more specific. I'm interested in a racer cruiser.
More interested in speed than comfort. I can rough it. Ocean capable
is a requirement. Fin keel, no narrow transom boats. I'd like to
start single handing, and I'm getting a bit older and not as physical
as I was formerly. I've been looking around for a while. I'd prefer a
big cat, but can't afford that now. It seems those need to be big for
what I want to do. So I've decided to scope things down to a mid-30
footer. I'd like to be able to get 7 knots regularly. Many of the 30
footers I've seen only seem to sail one speed 5 knots. That is too
slow.

Also, I'd like to have two sea-berths and a comfortable at anchor
double for cozy nights with my lady.

Benetoad? You have got to be kidding! I would not touch a piece of
crap like that! Every one I've sailed has been too light in the keel,
and too tender as a result. The rig is weak, the factory sails are
horrible, and every thing seems to break. I have no cofidence in those
boats except for one 50 fotter I sailded that built around 1988. That
is too much boat for one person and which I can't afford either. Also,
too much plastic and no way to get at the hull.

I can deal with a light boat and, love them, but I would not trust my
life in cheaply built Benetoad, however, it woud be my first choice to
putting my ex-wife in one--during hurricane season.

What do you sail Max?

Maxprop wrote:
"Carcharias" wrote in message
ups.com...
Any recommendations for a 35 foot cruiser?

According to someone here, there is nothing, absolutely nothing, better
than
a Beneteau 35s5.

Of course YMMV, as does everyone elses.

What do you intend to do with it? What conditions will you sail in? How
old are you and in what condition? Is speed important, or
accommodations?
A few details would be helpful.

Max

Max